Author Topic: Question to Ross  (Read 6335 times)

KallMeKip

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Question to Ross
« on: January 23, 2010, 04:58:41 PM »
So i was running New world,  And one of my players pointed out that Pontifex means High preist in latin. So is this a coincidence?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Question to Ross
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 10:44:31 PM »
So i was running New world,  And one of my players pointed out that Pontifex means High preist in latin. So is this a coincidence?

KallMeKip

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 10:48:43 PM »
Ok just curious because Now they think that he is a former preist of pelor and are following a massive red herring.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 11:05:40 PM »
That'll teach them to metagame with languages.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 11:07:48 PM »
Well - I think I've already established that Pontifex is incredibly old - all the native tribes call him 'Grandfather' and think of him as a force of nature. Not good. Not evil. A thing beyond their understanding that comes and goes as it pleases and so you must accept it and go on with your life.

If the PCs are smart and delve into the native's lore about Pontfiex they might be able to realize that Pontfiex predates the worship of Pelor.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 11:11:39 PM »
Which would mean that Vecna predates Pelor since Pontfiex acknowledges that he technically owes worship to the God of Secrets.

Unless, of course, he lied. But he'd never lie to Locke, I'm sure.

KallMeKip

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 11:18:24 PM »
Well - I think I've already established that Pontifex is incredibly old - all the native tribes call him 'Grandfather' and think of him as a force of nature. Not good. Not evil. A thing beyond their understanding that comes and goes as it pleases and so you must accept it and go on with your life.

If the PCs are smart and delve into the native's lore about Pontfiex they might be able to realize that Pontfiex predates the worship of Pelor.
They think that they can trust AxGore sadly this group is naive. It consists of a player who is almost like aron, His girlfriend and a Freshman. Though it will be fun to see how it plays out when they acuse the church of having a former member be a lich.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 11:46:57 PM »
Which would mean that Vecna predates Pelor since Pontfiex acknowledges that he technically owes worship to the God of Secrets.

Pelor existed long before the organized religion to worship him did. Or at least the current form of organized worship that the colonists recognize.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 11:50:14 PM »

Pelor existed long before the organized religion to worship him did. Or at least the current form of organized worship that the colonists recognize.

Oh, you mean the current Church of Pelor. I thought you meant worship of Pelor completely, like he wasn't a god at the time.