Author Topic: Your view on the Ipad  (Read 12736 times)

KallMeKip

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Your view on the Ipad
« on: January 27, 2010, 11:12:18 PM »
Whats everyone's opinion on the reveal of the Ipad? I feel that its just a bigger Iphone.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Your view on the Ipad
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 11:26:57 PM »
meh. I'll probably get one eventually, since it looks like it will work better as an ebook reader than the kindle or anything else on the market.

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 01:19:46 AM »
I must say it looks nice, and probably will work very well for what it is, however I don't really see myself ever needing something like that (i.e. ebook reader/internet surfing), at least that large...

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 01:37:48 AM »
That's big enough that I could see some kind of virtual battle-mat program for it. Use an Ipad for running battles in a tabletop game.

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 01:58:33 AM »
That's big enough that I could see some kind of virtual battle-mat program for it. Use an Ipad for running battles in a tabletop game.

The only thing with that is you would probably need one per person (I feel that 9ish inches is probably a tad small).  Though to run something similar to Maptool (a great cross-OS system, check it out if you do online gaming) on it with touch controls would be pretty awesome...

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 03:32:29 AM »
I surf the net and read books on my phone. dear god 9 inches of space would be a/azing! ill have to check into it.

IDaMan008

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Lucky 13!
    • View Profile
    • Rag-NERD-rok Actual Plays
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 04:35:39 AM »
I think I might wait a generation or two before buying one. Usually by then the price has gone down a significant degree and they've worked most of the bugs out of the design.

Other than that, though, I've gotta say...Apple does have a way of mass-producing sexy objects, and the iPad is no different. (I shouldn't really be typing that on my G5, though. It'll just make her jealous.)

malyss

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Gimme some sugar baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 12:19:39 PM »
My question is - do women need a new one every month?

Seriously - the name sucks. They could have used iSlate and that would have been cool.

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 12:24:07 PM »

Seriously - the name sucks. They could have used iSlate and that would have been cool.

only if they have an Irag.

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 12:24:15 PM »

I understand where Apple is coming from with it, but it definitely has a lot of "odd" connotations to say the least and looks like a typo (of iPod).  Well, the more I think on this, it's neat for sure, and it would be cool to have one, but yeah, to me it doesn't amount to much more than a toy...

ArtfulShrapnel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 12:51:52 AM »
I have to say, that given the OS limitations I'm gonna steer clear.

The limit of one active application at a time is fine on the ipod touch (or iphone), but on a "laptop replacement" that becomes a serious issue. Is there some reason I can't run AIM and Pandora at the same time? And a lack of flash support is a big killer. That takes out almost all the video sites I like to check out.

Also, the Appstore Gulag is a bit of a turnoff for me. The inability to install unAppleroved software without hacking my OS is a big worry.

Personally, I'm gonna wait for the next generation of competitor tablets to come out. Android shows a lot of promise.

P.S. - iPad is a stupid name. iSlate? iTablet? iBook? none of those were good enough?

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 12:57:04 AM »
intresting, I havent actuly checked it out yet. Im glad you said it cant multi task, my fucking phone multi tasks! not verry well but it can haha! Appstore isent that big of an issue with me, im sure I would use it, but if Android is coming out with something, ill prob work for that.

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 11:51:05 PM »
The Apple "notebook killer" came out today.

Mostly decent reviews

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 03:23:46 PM »
Most things by apple get good reviews.

ArtfulShrapnel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 04:13:31 PM »
So, I need to revise my earlier appraisal. The single-app environment still bothers me. (I want to listen to Pandora and read a book, dammit!)

The flash issue is no longer really an issue. The advent of HTML5 and its widespread acceptance has changed the playing field sigificantly, and I have to grudgingly give apple props for encouraging this move. HTML5 is cleaner, faster, and more universally accessible. So yay for that.

The closed appstore does bug me a bit. I like my open source stuff. I can hope they're going to be more open with this appstore, since it isn't tied as heavily into the phone companies.

The lack of a camera for videochat seems more like a missed opportunity than a serious design flaw. I expect to see it resolved by the 2g iPad.

If you had a group of 5 players with these things, and a good tool for moving data around.... it could really help streamline play for an RPG. Stream music to each player, send IMs instead of paper notes, reveal different bits of maps for different players, give digital handouts for people to examine.

I can even see a neat thing with building mini-videogames in as handouts. You get a note that might be by the killer: you can dust it for fingerprints, inspect it for blood, etc. Success rates and tools available are based on your Investigation skill.