Author Topic: Game Fodder / Story Fodder  (Read 724164 times)

Wooberman

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I have no mouth and I must LOL
    • View Profile
    • Woober's FB
Re: Game Fodder / Story Fodder
« Reply #675 on: August 30, 2013, 07:33:08 AM »
Monument to ‘god of chaos’ mysteriously appears in front of Oklahoma City restaurant

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/monument-god-chaos-materializes-front-oklahoma-city-restaurant-article-1.1439431

QuickreleasePersonalitY

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • if you see your self on the road, kill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: September 04, 2013, 05:35:40 PM »
You think you've got the most detailed world map?

Check this guy out

(also, for those more occult-y inclined, massive psychogeography)

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/09/jerry-gretzinger-map-ukrania/
pretentious i am
lest pretentious i become

Wooberman

• I have no mouth and I must LOL
    • View Profile
    • Woober's FB
« Reply #677 on: September 09, 2013, 05:24:40 PM »
Essential Watching for anyone running or playing MAOCT.

<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_Dead_Fred
I used to watch this movie to death when I was a kid but I recently revisited it and its just perfect. It may not have horrible monsters from the place between dimensions but it has a wonderful representation of what it is to have an imaginary friend.

QuickreleasePersonalitY

• View Profile
« Reply #678 on: September 09, 2013, 07:41:02 PM »

simply clever toys

, a subsidiary of dawn biozymepentex, test markets its 'shoggoth in a can'
(they found out that shoggoths are 'life force magnets')

<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>
pretentious i am

Dom

• View Profile
« Reply #679 on: September 15, 2013, 02:15:31 PM »
Brain-eating amoeba discovered in Louisiana. Welp, so this is the way the world will end.

D6xD6 - Chris

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: September 15, 2013, 07:55:34 PM »
Great architectural horror fodder:  basically an underground "vault" below Las Vegas:

http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/9/15/4733676/a-cold-war-mansion-26-feet-beneath-las-vegas

QuickreleasePersonalitY

• View Profile
« Reply #681 on: September 15, 2013, 11:16:12 PM »
remember all those horror stories & tales aboot corrupting codes & numbers?

there is a real number that, if someone were able to have the actual number in their heads that a black hole would form

(reality is so cool)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTeJ64KD5cg
pretentious i am

Decimator

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: September 25, 2013, 11:11:57 AM »
Impromptu tracheotomy to save a choking woman.

After the Heimlich maneuver failed to open Larwood’s airway, witnesses said, Dr. Royce Johnson, professor of medicine at UCLA and Kern Medical Center’s chief of infectious diseases, used a friend’s knife to make an incision in Larwood’s throat to allow the insertion of the hollow cylinder of a pen as a breathing tube.

Dom

• View Profile

Decimator

• View Profile
« Reply #684 on: November 08, 2013, 09:28:40 AM »
Could be useful as a setting for CoC: http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq102-4.htm

On 17 December 1944, the ships of Task Force 38, seven fleet and six light carriers, eight battleships, 15 cruisers, and about 50 destroyers were operating about 300 miles east of Luzon in the Philippine Sea. The carriers had just completed three days of heavy raids against Japanese airfields, suppressing enemy aircraft during the American amphibious operations against Mindoro in the Philippines. Although the sea had been becoming rougher all day, the nearby cyclonic disturbance gave relatively little warning of its approach. On 18 December, the small but violent typhoon overtook the Task Force while many of the ships were attempting to refuel. Many of the ships were caught near the center of the storm and buffeted by extreme seas and hurricane force winds. Three destroyers, USS Hull, USS Spence, and USS Monaghan, capsized and went down with practically all hands, while a cruiser, five aircraft carriers, and three destroyers suffered serious damage. Approximately 790 officers and men were lost or killed, with another 80 injured. Fires occurred in three carriers when planes broke loose in their hangars and some 146 planes on various ships were lost or damaged beyond economical repair by fires, impact damage, or by being swept overboard. This storm inflicted more damage on the Navy than any storm since the hurricane at Apia, Samoa in 1889. In the aftermath of this deadly storm, the Pacific Fleet established new weather stations in the Caroline Islands and, as they were secured, Manila, Iwo Jima, and Okinawa. In addition, new weather central offices (for coordinating data) were established at Guam and Leyte.

D6xD6 - Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #685 on: November 12, 2013, 11:32:02 PM »
I just finished KODT #202.  The ending of Dave's paranoia adventure is an AWESOME idea for a FATE scenario.  It also gives me adventure ideas for BASE RAIDERS.

SPOILERS!!!

[spoiler]The ape research station where the apes and monkeys are fuckin' ninja commando badasses. [/spoiler]

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 11:39:30 PM by PaulyMuttonchops »

Decimator

• View Profile
« Reply #686 on: November 13, 2013, 09:52:04 AM »
An evolutionary alliance between trees and the ants that guard them has a sinister explanation, a new study suggests, finding ants hooked on nectar.

In Central America, ants act as bodyguards for acacia trees, defending them from weeds and hungry animals in exchange for room and board, one of the most iconic alliances in nature. (See "Ant Bodyguards Get Exclusive Contract From Trees.")

But Martin Heil of Cinvestav Unidad Irapuato in Mexico has found that the tree's sugary snacks are laced with an enzyme that prevents the ants from eating other sources of sugar.

One sip, and the insects are consigned to a life of indentured servitude.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/11/131106-ants-tree-acacia-food-mutualism/

D6xD6 - Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #687 on: November 14, 2013, 01:29:25 PM »
This could be the beginning of a Trail of Cthulhu or Essoterrorist/Fear Itself scenario...

Hell, it could also work as a CoC scenario by making all the characters public works employees and they could use dump trucks to kill the evil garbage beast before it finds its other body parts!

Six-fingered 'hand' found among garbage at recycling plant

http://www.jsonline.com/news/bear-paw-found-among-garbage-at-madison-recycling-plant-b99142439z1-231891331.html
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 06:44:56 PM by PaulyMuttonchops »

D6xD6 - Chris

• View Profile

D6xD6 - Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #689 on: November 25, 2013, 11:58:45 PM »