Author Topic: Recording Game Sessions  (Read 187390 times)

Sean-o-tron

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • heard nonsense
    • View Profile
Re: Recording Game Sessions
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2010, 01:49:59 PM »
And accidentally clicking on Quote instead of Modify and not realizing until it's too late, and then having to salvage a retard move into something moderately acceptable since there is no way to delete my post.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2010, 02:14:08 PM »
And accidentally clicking on Quote instead of Modify and not realizing until it's too late, and then having to salvage a retard move into something moderately acceptable since there is no way to delete my post.

I'm just giving you hell. Everyone on this forum double posts at least once a week.  8)
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2010, 02:53:35 PM »
your mom is a double post

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2010, 03:02:29 PM »

My father was a double post, sir!

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2010, 05:23:58 PM »
MY mom is a double post
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 08:58:16 PM by clockworkjoe »
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2010, 08:13:31 PM »

My father was a double post, sir!

Too bad he smelt of elderberries.

DGibb

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Recording Equipment
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2010, 07:05:56 PM »
I have been listening to the show and the New World Campaign, and I want to start recording some actual plays with my group and maybe start a little podcast of my own. I want to also see if I can have a mobile way to record at Origins this year if I end up attending.

So the question is, what equipment should I invest in? I heard something about the Zoom H2, is that a good starter mic/recorder? I don't have a huge budget, but I want something functional.

Thanks!

Dogfish

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2010, 07:57:18 PM »
Hey folks. While you guys have the luxury of a regular group of gaming buddies you can get round a table my access is rather patchy at the moment. However I have started using Skype as a means to this end and it works really well. I'm tempted to start recording the sessions and was curious how one would do that on the same laptop as the conversation is occurring.

I know this isn't exactly what you guys are doing but I'm not very tech savvy and will take all advice.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2010, 08:12:36 PM »
Hey folks. While you guys have the luxury of a regular group of gaming buddies you can get round a table my access is rather patchy at the moment. However I have started using Skype as a means to this end and it works really well. I'm tempted to start recording the sessions and was curious how one would do that on the same laptop as the conversation is occurring.

I know this isn't exactly what you guys are doing but I'm not very tech savvy and will take all advice.

Ross and I are puzzling over this very issue. There are different plug-ins available for Skype you might try. You could try using a combination of Audacity and Skype (google around for tips), but Ross says that he's had problems recording more than an hour on Audacity.

nbneil

• View Profile
    • NerdBound
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2010, 08:43:47 PM »
I have had the same problem multiple times with Audacity.  The Skype solutions suck.  The only thing I have found to work is using SoundTap Streaming Audio Recorder.  The Rogue Trader games on NerdBound are recorded using the software.  It's very stable and other than Skype cutting out, it hasn't failed yet.  It can be tricky to work out the kinks as to which program is started first and what settings you have in place.  But it's the only way I can have my out-of-town group members play.  No I don't work for NCH.  I just love their recording products.

http://www.nch.com.au/soundtap/index.html

Check out the NerdBound podcast on iTunes or at NerdBound
Follow me on Twitter @nbneil

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2010, 08:45:47 PM »
I have had the same problem multiple times with Audacity.  The Skype solutions suck.  The only thing I have found to work is using SoundTap Streaming Audio Recorder.  The Rogue Trader games on NerdBound are recorded using the software.  It's very stable and other than Skype cutting out, it hasn't failed yet.  It can be tricky to work out the kinks as to which program is started first and what settings you have in place.  But it's the only way I can have my out-of-town group members play.  No I don't work for NCH.  I just love their recording products.

http://www.nch.com.au/soundtap/index.html

I assume you can run this through Levelator once recorded?

nbneil

• View Profile
    • NerdBound
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2010, 09:08:56 PM »
Yep.  It just records as a .wav or .mp3 depending on what format you want to record in.  I record as .wav, do all my editing, then convert to .mp3 at the very end.  I don't think it makes much difference though.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2010, 09:31:23 PM »
Yep.  It just records as a .wav or .mp3 depending on what format you want to record in.  I record as .wav, do all my editing, then convert to .mp3 at the very end.  I don't think it makes much difference though.

Nice, I'll have to bounce this off of Ross. We're looking for a way not only to record games, but to do some promos for Zombies of the World.

nbneil

• View Profile
    • NerdBound
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2010, 09:53:43 PM »
If you want an audio program that I think is almost as robust as Audacity (and free), you can check out NCH's WavePad Audio Editor which is completely free.  The only thing it can't do without paying for the upgrade is add audio tags.  However, you can just go to iTunes and edit them there.  I still only use the free version of WavePad to record and edit my regular game sessions.  SoundTap has been perfect for the Skype games.  Hope it helps.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2010, 12:26:24 AM »
Zoom H2 is the best solution for recording tabletop games.

Audio Hijack Pro is a great solution for recording Skype on Mac http://rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack/

I'll look into PC solutions