Author Topic: The Arcadia Signal  (Read 65158 times)

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
Re: The Arcadia Signal
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2010, 08:36:36 PM »
What is lulz? I don't understand!!!!
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2010, 09:00:38 PM »
Read this, it will explain it.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

nbneil

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • NerdBound
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2010, 11:11:13 PM »
This AP really made me want to play in one of Ross' horror games. Maybe I'll be able to hit one at a Con one day. This one was really fun with the ambiguous villains. Why didn't you just let the thing out? I'm sure it was a pretty cool dude.
Check out the NerdBound podcast on iTunes or at NerdBound
Follow me on Twitter @nbneil

Mckma

• Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2010, 12:45:06 AM »
This AP really made me want to play in one of Ross' horror games. Maybe I'll be able to hit one at a Con one day. This one was really fun with the ambiguous villains. Why didn't you just let the thing out? I'm sure it was a pretty cool dude.

This is something I would find myself in conflict with when playing a game like this.  As a character, I'm pretty sure I would act as the players did, but as a player, I would be really curious as to what exactly the thing was and want to let it out (but then again, not knowing is half the fun)...

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2010, 12:52:14 AM »

This is something I would find myself in conflict with when playing a game like this.  As a character, I'm pretty sure I would act as the players did, but as a player, I would be really curious as to what exactly the thing was and want to let it out (but then again, not knowing is half the fun)...

My character in the Fear Itself - Alphaville (AP is not available yet) takes the "what benefits me the most approach," if you want to see how you "win" a Ross horror game.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2010, 12:56:14 AM »

My character in the Fear Itself - Alphaville (AP is not available yet) takes the "what benefits me the most approach," if you want to see how you "win" a Ross horror game.

Your quotes seem to confirm my impression that a victory in one of Ross's horror/investigation games is hollow at best...

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2010, 12:58:14 AM »

Your quotes seem to confirm my impression that a victory in one of Ross's horror/investigation games is hollow at best...

Depends on how evil a character you want to create. Mine was pretty fucking evil by the end of it.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2010, 11:29:38 AM »

Any time I'm given the chance, I always go for power. Many of my characters are willing to risk a level of destruction up to (and including) the whole world, so long as they can survive and gain power. Sadly few ever get the chance.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2010, 01:56:50 PM »

It's horror, not "let's have a walk in the park followed by candy and also cake"

bitches don't know about cosmic dread

beowuuf

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • DM.com - forums dedicated to a 25 year old PC game.
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2010, 02:50:15 PM »

You can leave with your brain dribbling out of your ears, or you can leave with your brain held in your hands while a monster feeds on your neck. The ear dribblers have cooler spells.

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2010, 02:50:33 PM »

It's horror, not "let's have a walk in the park followed by candy and also cake"

bitches don't know about cosmic dread

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think that's awesome, I was merely making a statement.  I would love to play in one of your games.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2010, 02:54:50 PM »
Oh, don't get me wrong, I think that's awesome, I was merely making a statement.  I would love to play in one of your games.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2010, 03:14:47 PM »
well the one thing I would argue is that victories in my horror games are not hollow. They are hard fought but they are meaningful. Tom's character in the Fear Itself game sacrificed himself to protect a community that will never know his sacrifice. That's more heroic than the generic adventurer who kills a dragon and is celebrated throughout the kingdom.

nbneil

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • NerdBound
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2010, 03:47:39 PM »
I would tend to sway toward Tad's view on this one. I'd love to have a character who takes all the power he can and leaves the world holding the bag. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I would have done that in the Arcadia Signal. I think getting the hell out of there is a reasonable reaction. I'd like to play the horror movie fan like Jamie Kennedy in the Scream movies. When horrible shit goes down, assume the worst and don't fuck around. The argument that no one would shoot someone in the head after seeing them eat a person in the street is a weak argument I've heard too many times. My immediate reaction would be zombie, not that guy must not feel well.
Check out the NerdBound podcast on iTunes or at NerdBound
Follow me on Twitter @nbneil

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2010, 04:12:23 PM »
I would tend to sway toward Tad's view on this one. I'd love to have a character who takes all the power he can and leaves the world holding the bag. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I would have done that in the Arcadia Signal. I think getting the hell out of there is a reasonable reaction. I'd like to play the horror movie fan like Jamie Kennedy in the Scream movies. When horrible shit goes down, assume the worst and don't fuck around. The argument that no one would shoot someone in the head after seeing them eat a person in the street is a weak argument I've heard too many times. My immediate reaction would be zombie, not that guy must not feel well.

When dealing with possible zombies, remember this simple phrase:

"Murder trial later. Pulse now."