Author Topic: The Arcadia Signal  (Read 65154 times)

robotkarateman

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Mulsk!
    • View Profile
    • AARG roleplaying system
The Arcadia Signal
« on: February 22, 2010, 02:26:40 PM »
Just got finished listening to Arcadia signal - good job, fun, etc.

But, I have to say, Ross' mention of the signal being "omniscient" and Cody repeatedly calling it "The Winslow" made me wonder if it had ever blighted the crops, or vanquished evil, or answered the phone before it rang.
GENERALA, my free dungeon-crawling RPG, is now available! And it's free!

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: The Arcadia Signal
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 02:38:00 PM »
I liked Cody's worry about the dude knowing they where coming since he had something that was apparently able to answer any question about the future perfectly. "Hey signal, anybody gonna come spy on me tonight?" "Yeah, about 5:30." "Okay, thanks."

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 02:41:00 PM »
as I am not the Arcadia Signal, I am not omniscient and I do not get this Winslow reference.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 02:44:48 PM »
as I am not the Arcadia Signal, I am not omniscient and I do not get this Winslow reference.

I looked it up. I had no idea what it was either. A very Cody like reference, seeing as it relates to comics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Winslow

robotkarateman

• Mulsk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 02:46:41 PM »

The Winslow is a recurring character in Phil Foglio's comics. He's the only being in existence to meet all of the qualifications of being a deity. Unfortunately, he's also a giant, fuzzy, space-faring alligator with no concern at all for the existence of life in the universe.

Phil used to have a page on his StudioFoglio.com site about the origins of the Winslow, but I can't find it at the moment.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 02:48:12 PM by robotkarateman »

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 02:51:16 PM »
huh. I've never been a big fan of Foglio - all the faces of his characters look the same. He's almost bad as Steve "Horse Face" Dillon (Preacher and Punisher artist)

robotkarateman

• Mulsk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 02:53:41 PM »
I won't defend his art style, but the Phil & Dixie comic strips in the early issues of Dragon definitely shaped my perceptions of what role-playing should be.

Can't really get into Girl Genius tho'.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 03:01:51 PM »
I love Girl Genius now that it's colored. I have no taste so don't go by me.

Back on topic: how did you plan to deal with any strange questions that Jason or Cody might ask the Signal? Where you going to actually answer them or have the Signal press forward with the plot?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 03:06:02 PM »
Depends on the question - the Signal is an alien intelligence focused on escaping. It sees humans as such lesser beings that it wouldn't even think to lie to them unless it was glaringly obvious.

If you gave me specific questions, I could tell you how I would answer them

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 04:11:14 PM »
Ah. My first thought as a player would probably be to ask it how I (I being the character) was going to die, so that whatever strangeness began happening would be able to go right to my character's head (either he'd be convinced he couldn't die or he'd think he was absolutely going to).

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 04:17:28 PM »
the signal would say that information doesn't exist yet because of the complexity of the character in question - his choices make him too unpredictable.

He would then list the most likely causes of death - if you do not die tonight from a violent act, you will die of heart disease in 18 years.

The signal can't see the future - it just makes really really good guesses - easy to predict when a simple townie dies because their actions are easy to predict - PCs who interact with the supernatural are far too random to accurately predict

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 04:24:27 PM »
Okay I follow that then. So how far could it "see"? I assumed it had extremely far reaching sensory ability.

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 04:27:20 PM »
As much as I love being credited for obscure references, I wasn't referring to a comic book. In fact, I kept calling it "the Winslow" because it made me think of Carl Winslow from Family Matters. My love for African-American cops comes through in my role-playing once again (see: Ernie Hudson).
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 04:49:05 PM »
As much as I love being credited for obscure references, I wasn't referring to a comic book. In fact, I kept calling it "the Winslow" because it made me think of Carl Winslow from Family Matters. My love for African-American cops comes through in my role-playing once again (see: Ernie Hudson).

I am quite frankly stunned. But then the signal already knew that.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 05:11:01 PM »
But, I have to say, Ross' mention of the signal being "omniscient" and Cody repeatedly calling it "The Winslow" made me wonder if it had ever blighted the crops, or vanquished evil, or answered the phone before it rang.

God, we're such nerds that we close read actual play comments.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read