Author Topic: Rifts post-palladium conversion Work in progress  (Read 25480 times)

Wooberman

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I have no mouth and I must LOL
    • View Profile
    • Woober's FB
Rifts post-palladium conversion Work in progress
« on: February 24, 2010, 06:02:32 AM »
I'm considering the monumentous task of converting Rifts into a non-Palladium system.
My only issue is what system?

Any hints?

Btw if this does go through i'll do everything i can to broadcast the results so you guys can use them yourselves.
I'd really love it if anyone willing would playtest these rules too so I can clean it all up, purty like.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: Rifts post-palladium conversion Work in progress
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 11:12:35 AM »
I asked about something like this at one point and Ross said Palladium likes to chase people with lawyers. I'm unclear on alot of issues of "gaming law" as per the rights of companies regarding their ideas.

I'd be more than happy to help, provided there isn't a significant risk of legal pain.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 11:38:37 AM »
I asked about something like this at one point and Ross said Palladium likes to chase people with lawyers. I'm unclear on alot of issues of "gaming law" as per the rights of companies regarding their ideas.

I'd be more than happy to help, provided there isn't a significant risk of legal pain.

This would probably be classified under intellectual property law and I'm unsure the specifics. It would probably depend on who owns the copyrights to RIFTS at the moment and whether or not those copyrights have been / will be renewed.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 02:16:58 PM »
It's not even a matter of the law. It's a matter of time and money.

1. Fan posts Rifts conversion online.

2. Palladium sends lawyer nastygram  (cease and desist) letter to fan, web host, and/or ISP.

3. Fan has to decide if this is worth the time and money to fight it in court, or if he should ignore it or just give up.

Fan conversions aren't worth the time and money to fight in court. Ignoring it is a valid option, as then Palladium has to decide if it's worth the time and money to actually go after the fan but you're basically calling the bluff of Kevin Siembedia, who is slightly crazy by all accounts. Giving up is the safest and easiest option so people do that.

If you make a Rifts conversion, host it off site. You can link to it here though.

Ryo

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 03:32:46 PM »
I thought there was a d20 version?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 03:41:40 PM »
I thought there was a d20 version?

hahahaha

no

robotkarateman

• Mulsk!
    • View Profile
    • AARG roleplaying system
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 07:16:50 PM »
A ways back, I was involved in a group that published free serialized fiction online. An attempt was made, half jokingly, to post Heroes Unlimited stats for the major characters. We were told almost immediately by Palladium that they don't allow any derivative works, period, end of sentence.

Sure, they can't sue you for posting modified versions of the mechanics, but any term that's their copyright and original IP they can and will harass you about.

Besides, there are already plenty of people making adaptations and system fixes - I can name the Savage Worlds RIFTS adaptation and Doug Wall's "Better Than RIFTS" system off the top of my head - so why bother with another one?
GENERALA, my free dungeon-crawling RPG, is now available! And it's free!

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 07:22:44 PM »
Why can't you make you RIFTS conversion, change all the names, and call it IFTS or STFIR?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 11:18:02 PM by Kroack »

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 07:26:05 PM »
I'm not sure if its the same boat or not but I learned a lot of trademark law in a nut shell from the d6 generation pod cast ep 49. Talking about games workshop defending there logo and they interviewed a creator of army builder. Should check it out pretty informative.

Murph

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 11:10:57 AM »
From what I've seen of Rifts, it seems that the rules are hopeless complicated, and the idea of class balance seem to be an anathema to the system (example: some classes start in mechs.  Others get a plastic bag and several pieces of candy).  Therefore, the easiest way to convert the system would probably be a rules lite kind of system, such as Fate, SotC modded slightly, or to just port the fluff to another system, and not worry much about the rules.

Wooberman

• View Profile
    • Woober's FB
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 02:14:01 PM »
From what I've seen of Rifts, it seems that the rules are hopeless complicated, and the idea of class balance seem to be an anathema to the system (example: some classes start in mechs.  Others get a plastic bag and several pieces of candy).  Therefore, the easiest way to convert the system would probably be a rules lite kind of system, such as Fate, SotC modded slightly, or to just port the fluff to another system, and not worry much about the rules.

Pretty much what i was thinking of. Its gonna be tough but I'm game!

Wooberman

• View Profile
    • Woober's FB
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 05:57:15 AM »
Update - The project is underway.
Progress is incredibly slow with an awful lot of re-reading.

But just so you know, it is happening.

Also, Fuck Palladium.

malyss

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Gimme some sugar baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 10:12:35 AM »
Why do you want to make a conversion of RIFTS? Do you like the world-setting or is their some specific component of it that you really find interesting?

What is your actual motivation behind the project?

Wooberman

• View Profile
    • Woober's FB
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 10:54:06 AM »
Short answer - Love the setting, Detest the system. only one solution, transplant!

malyss

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Gimme some sugar baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 11:25:21 AM »
I would suggest you start by isolating the parts you want to use personally first.

Pick a system you do like and are very familiar with as your conversion platform.

Then proceed to the basics - what is the core of how you play. If you are focused on combat, make sure you have a playable foundation, then tweak. Don't worry if it isn't perfect at first.

See if you can take some scenarios you have already played through in RIFTS (with the awkward rules) and see how the outcome was. Then try and take a similar situation from your familiar system and look at how it works, turn by turn, player by player. Don't be afraid to just choose the dice rolls - you want to know what the outcome will be to test for the variables. If your planned outcome isn't realized by your testing scenario, you need to go back and tweak it so that the outcome you desire is achieved.

It may seem a little strange, but you need to treat this like a project. You need to have objectives, and you need to have a plan. Then set small goals, day by day. For Wednesday, your goal is to write out which system you want to try to make the conversion for.

Then for Thursday/Friday, you want to write down what are the core things you want to start with. Small list. Keep it specific - such as pick one class/template/whatever and identify what are the key components of the class in RIFTS. What makes the class special, and why do you want to keep it.

If you sit down and spend some time up front, you can do this.

It gets a lot easier if you have other people helping you.

I have no interest in RIFTS, nor do I have any interest in learning it - but I am sure there are other people that do.

Maybe you could try using Google Wave to collaborate?

Just make sure you break it down into manageable chunks or you will find it very hard to get this done.