Author Topic: The Tomb of Coddowalshagoth: Fan Project  (Read 24883 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
The Tomb of Coddowalshagoth: Fan Project
« on: February 25, 2010, 06:09:24 PM »
This will be the official working home for The Tomb of Coddowalshagoth. Any updates will go here, as well as links to off site information and any discussion of material elements.

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
Re: The Tomb of Coddowalshagoth: Fan Project
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 09:22:55 PM »
So how is this going to get started? What is the basis for the project. Is it going to be multi system? Will it be a setting, campaign, scenario, or just a combination of everything Cathatric Lobster embodies?

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 12:09:47 PM »
I would like to aim for Call of Cthulhu as a primary system and branch into others if we can achive a primary product.

The way I see it we have alot of little jobs to spread across the whole group.

We'll need ideas to begin with and people who can write them down. We'll need at least three different kinds of writers: game fiction (for the in-character fluff and examples), instructive (for the actual rules), and of course editors.

Artwork will be important. I love Genius: The Transgression but it's a very dry read through most of the PDF with nothing to distract from the text blocks. Layout and the page format are going to be art as much as any pictures we include.

I suppose the most direct method is best: as everyone to volunteer by stating what they can do. I will help assign tasks so that things don't become too nebulus but people should feel free to throw in any time they think of something.

Addition-

And we need a lay out. Can't believe I forgot that part.

So, let's make a list. We need:

• The origins of the lobster.
  • We need to work out how one actually pronounces Coddowalshagoth and possibly adjust the lettering so it's regularly pronouncable.
  • We need to talk about the habits of his cultists.
  • We need to clarafity the avatar list vs the inspired NPC list.
  • We'll need to lay out the typical physical structure of one of the cult's pits.
  • And I'm sure there's more things.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 12:59:14 PM by Tadanori Oyama »

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 01:37:33 PM »
"Below you, in a pool of fouled liquids, something massive writhes. Much of its buck is below the dark surface but you catch glimpses of chitin skin, a long hair lined body, and flaring red eyes which do not blink. Suddenly it rears, bringing eyes and head from beneath and exposes the shivering mandibles which line its maw. As it splashes back into its pool you feel droplets of the afoul alight on your face and you taste its cold breath."

Make a SAN Check.

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 02:52:14 PM »
Pronunciation:  Co - doh - walsh - a - goth.
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Mckma

• Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 03:02:54 PM »

I would agree with this.

And all in all, my best contribution would likely be as an editor/ideas man.  I could probably also draw up a sketch of a pit layout or something...

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 03:06:59 PM »

I would agree with this.

And all in all, my best contribution would likely be as an editor/ideas man.  I could probably also draw up a sketch of a pit layout or something...

Editors are always welcome. If your willing to do a sketch of layouts than I'd like to request you begin with a cross section of a Cult Pit.

We've thrown the idea around in the thread but what I invision is a literally open pit which decends downwards as sharply as possible (and experiences frequent cave ins and earth slides) making use of scaffolding at the edges.

Mckma

• Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 03:14:36 PM »

I would agree with this.

Editors are always welcome. If your willing to do a sketch of layouts than I'd like to request you begin with a cross section of a Cult Pit.

We've thrown the idea around in the thread but what I invision is a literally open pit which decends downwards as sharply as possible (and experiences frequent cave ins and earth slides) making use of scaffolding at the edges.
Exactly what I had remembered.  I'll try and get a sketch or two up by the end of this weekend.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 05:21:22 PM »
Okay, first subject of discussion: the distinction between Coddowalshagoth and his avatars, most particularly the Cathatric Lobster.

I did a quick write up. Comments, suggestions, death threats:
What is Coddowalshagoth?
A force from somewhere else, Coddowalshagoth lacks physical form and exists within human reality as a form of mental energy. This mental energy causes those within its reach to experience sensations similar to those of a real, physical interaction but the effect is completely within their mind. The sensations are accompanied by damage to the sensory organ, particularly the eyes and ears, as a result of the entity causing extreme increases in blood flow through mortal bodies.

This has lead to the historical link between the “actions” of Coddowalshagoth and the results of its damaging effects on the human condition. Bleeding, a result of reputing veins within the eye, causes a red tint to vision. Breaking blood vessels in the ears have the effect of creating a roaring wind sound without any actual wind. Among weaker creatures larger vessels in the hands and nose can break, causing the subject to smell blood or bleed from the nose and for their hands and feet to shake and grow warm.

Should Coddowalshagoth desire to do so, it can turn its full attention to a single mortal body and cause the creature to be worn down by its own accelerated blood flow. Blood is forced through the heart at a rate too quick for the organ as blood vessels tighten and eventually burst. Depending on which section of the body collapses first the victim can die in any number of ways, most commonly massive internal hemorrhaging.

Those suffering under the attention of Coddowalshaogth describe a red haze surrounding them in a roar that burns their skin and hurts their head. As such, when it is pictured in ancient culture, Coddowalshagoth appears as a red cloud, stylized to appear like fire.

Kroack

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 08:11:28 PM »
Okay. So blood is a central focus of our project. So I would think that cultists of Coddowalshagoth would be very eccentric about bloodlines. Genetic disorders like hemophilia and sickle cell would be like the signs of a true believer and marks of favor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_disorder

Servitor races of Coddowalshagoth would be themed around pain and blood. They could also be crustaceans of some sort.

Inspiration for artists (I just did a google search)

http://www.bukisa.com/articles/58573_amazingly-unique-and-weird-lobsters     

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 08:25:32 PM »
Servitor races of Coddowalshagoth would be themed around pain and blood. They could also be crustaceans of some sort.

Inspiration for artists (I just did a google search)

http://www.bukisa.com/articles/58573_amazingly-unique-and-weird-lobsters     

My I also suggest the scotoplanes also known as the sea pig.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Kroack

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 10:42:33 PM »
Man, that thing is ugly.
Abyssal plane of the ocean hmm?
Horde monster hmm?

In the deepest and darkest pits of the world, both in the ground and in the hearts of men, the great swarms of Coddowalshagothic pigs blindly and madly do their master's dark bidding.

Edit: Also, http://atlasobscura.com/places/blood-falls
Thank you game fodder thread.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 10:52:55 PM by Kroack »

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 12:00:22 PM »
I hadn't even thought about the blood lines thing, that's pretty good. It also makes one of the other themes I've been trying to foster make more sense: the proximity of Coddowalshagoth cults to medical facilities. Both of the test scenarios I've done have been linked with hospitals.

Kroack

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 01:05:01 PM »
A lot of pain and blood happen to be at hospitals.

EDIT: I'm not the biggest cultist so can anyone tell me if the Fan Club has ever established what dwells at the ?bottom? of the pits? If there is a bottom that is.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 07:42:52 PM by Kroack »

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 12:38:46 AM »
So with me being a chosen, does that mean I have like a cool crab claw but sadly also have Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura?