Author Topic: Collaborative Project Idea: CoC meets Ghost Hunters  (Read 7197 times)

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
Collaborative Project Idea: CoC meets Ghost Hunters
« on: February 22, 2010, 09:33:18 PM »
So, Karee and I were watching Ghost Hunters and came up with an idea for a collaborative project on the RPPR forums. The basic scenario would go something like all the PCs are members of a ghost hunting TV show but the show is a big scam (you know like Ghost Hunters). When they go to the house to "investigate," shit gets real. I have two different ideas of how this game could be run:

1) Have the players come up with their own scams before the game and, then, turn their scams into actual haunting events.

2) Come up with a set of predetermined scams that the PCs must set up - so the GM is an executive producer of the show - and then come up with some predetermined actual haunting events. (With room for the PCs to come up with some of their own scams.)

I'm leaning toward 2, but I want to see what other people think.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
Re: Collaborative Project Idea: CoC meets Ghost Hunters
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 10:02:21 PM »
#2 seems like a good mix of player control and predetermined events. Some good RP moments could be had when the Ghost Hunters try to rationalize the insanity and giant tentacled great old ones to the owner of the evil house or building.    

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 10:29:54 PM »
2 would be much easier to pull off, but 1 would be so much more rewarding if the players had good ideas and the GM could roll well enough to get things to work.  In other words, if this is going to be something like the Night Shift write up, I would go with 2, and just write up frames for a ton of scams that the GM can expand upon and offer choices to the players.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 10:33:31 PM »
2 would be much easier to pull off, but 1 would be so much more rewarding if the players had good ideas and the GM could roll well enough to get things to work.  In other words, if this is going to be something like the Night Shift write up, I would go with 2, and just write up frames for a ton of scams that the GM can expand upon and offer choices to the players.

I agree that it should be written up as the Night Shift game and create frames for scams. The trick is coming up with some good scams other than the classic invisible string scams, etc.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 10:42:05 PM »
I would be down for helping out on something like this, I really like the idea, and hopefully would be able to make some contributions.