Author Topic: Create The Most Ridiculous Epic Level (Lvl 21) D&D Character Using Only the SRD  (Read 86560 times)

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
Alright boys and girls, enough bitching about how overpowered 3E was. It's time to demonstrate it by creating the most ridiculous level 21 character you can.

The rules are simple:

1) Character Must be a standard race. (Variant races allowed.)

2) The only resources you can use to create your character is the SRD: www.d20srd.org

3) MAKE YOUR CHARACTER EPIC!

Go! Go! Go!
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
This will be fun.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
This will be fun.

I haven't actually statted this up, but this is what I'm thinking about.

Human - Cleric 16 / Thaumaturgist 5

His cohort will be a 19 HD Planetar.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
I'm gonna go the less conventional route and see what I can do with psionics.

Addition-
Wait, that might not work, it doesn't look like alot most of the powers are listed in the SRD.

Addition Two-
Nevermind, found them.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 07:55:50 PM by Tadanori Oyama »

Boyos

• View Profile
We using fixed stats or doing 3d6. Also what equipment we going for here or budget were using to spend?

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
We using fixed stats or doing 3d6. Also what equipment we going for here or budget were using to spend?

Anything that's in the rules man, we're making legal characters.

Boyos

• View Profile
kk just making sure did not know what rules applyed haha.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile

Technically we should be using fixed stats, but with epic characters, after awhile the stats don't matter.

Starting gold for a lvl 21 character is 975,000.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
standard 3E stat array is 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8

Viletta Vadim

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
21st-level human Psion.

Feats:
1st- Psicrystal Affinity
1st (Human)- Improved Psicrystal
1st (Psion)- Improved Psicrystal
3rd- Improved Psicrystal
5th (Psion)- Improved Psicrystal
6th- Improved Psicrystal
9th- Improved Psicrystal
10th (Psion)- Improved Psicrystal
12th- Improved Psicrystal
15th- Improved Psicrystal
15th (Psion)- Improved Psicrystal
18th- Improved Psicrystal
20th (Psion)- Improved Psicrystal
21st- Improved Psicrystal

What you do with your powers, your stats, and any of that doesn't really matter.

Improved Psicrystal improves all of your psicrystal's abilities by one level.  That includes your psicrystal's hit die.  Further, it can be taken as many times as you please.  With 13 instances of Improved Psicrystal, you have a 34th-level rock that can do... almost nothing.  Except that it has 34 HD, and all the feats that come with it.  Like, say, Leadership.  And Epic Leadership.  You'll need to give your pet rock an epic cloak of charisma to get it to qualify for Epic Leadership, but once you do, you can have a pet rock with 26 to 32 charisma.

Assuming 30 charisma, that makes a leadership score of 44.  This means without modifiers, your psicrystal can have a 27th-level cohort.  That means your pet rock's minion is more badass than you are.

And your pet rock's minion?  A 27th-level human Psion with 15 instances of Improve Psicrystal for a 42-HD psicrystal with a Leadership score of 52, making for a 31st-level cohort with a 47-HD pet rock, with a 33rd-level cohort, with a 50-HD pet rock, with a 35th-level cohort, with... you get the idea.  Repeat ad infinitum.

Boyos

• View Profile
Oh wow, Compleately forgot about this!

Viletta Vadim

• View Profile
Lessee.  Next one.  Diplomacy whore.

Venerable Half-Elf Rogue.  15 charisma, base, +5 from levels, +5 from a tome, +1 from age, +8 from a cloak, for a total of 36 (+12)

24 Diplomacy from skill ranks.
+12 from Charisma
+2 from race.
+5 from Skill Focus and Negotiator
+3 traits (Honest, Polite, Illiterate, with illiteracy bought off).
+24 from an Item Familiar
=70

As a Rogue, you can pick up Skill Mastery: Diplomacy.

All together, this means you can eat the -10 to make Diplomacy checks as a full-round action and always be guaranteed at least a result of 70, which is enough to take someone from hostile to helpful, no save, no nothing, meaning any intelligent being you can speak to automatically loses if you speak.  You can even get some fanatics.  Lots of ranks in Speak Language are a good thing, so you can always diplomacize with folks.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
21st-level human Psion.

Assuming 30 charisma, that makes a leadership score of 44.  This means without modifiers, your psicrystal can have a 27th-level cohort.  That means your pet rock's minion is more badass than you are.

And your pet rock's minion?  A 27th-level human Psion with 15 instances of Improve Psicrystal for a 42-HD psicrystal with a Leadership score of 52, making for a 31st-level cohort with a 47-HD pet rock, with a 33rd-level cohort, with a 50-HD pet rock, with a 35th-level cohort, with... you get the idea.  Repeat ad infinitum.

Holy crap, I completely missed this post when I was moving. Friggin' hilarious.

malyss

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Gimme some sugar baby.
    • View Profile
I think I will make a 21st level fighter...

Why is everyone laughing?

Doc Brown

• View Profile
Not extemely flashy, but I love this guy's Mr. Stupid, the inescapable grappler:

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22468645/Mr._Stupid_-_The_Inescapable_Grappler

Sample Combat:
We'll base this on the last RPGA game I was in. There's an arena, with a dire bear facing the party on the arena floor. There's 4 to 6 enemies up in the stands, shooting down at you, along with an enemy wizard leading the show. We're at 10th level at this point.

Round 1) We win initiative. (High dex is nice, right?) We want to keep the bear away from our squishy teammates. We walk up to it. Since it's not larger than Huge, we just make a grab attack on it (otherwise we'd need to use one of our abilities which give grabbed as a status effect). We're at +BAB+Str+6/+10/+14 (Heroic/Paragon/Epic) vs. Ref to hit, so we'll be hitting very reliably across our entire career. If we need to boost this further, we can whip out our grasping javelin, which adds its bonus to our grab attacks. However, we want to deal damage, I guess, so we'll use our garrote, which inflicts damage on a grab. The monster takes 1d4+Str.

Note: See The Mancatcher (in my .sig) on a build that is focused on using grasping polearms to negate enemies entirely. You can combine that build with this one for a super grappler.

We then action point, and drag it into a corner. The monster is stuck there. He bites at Mr. Stupid. We're AC 27 or 28 at this point, so he needs 13+ to hit us, so he's not going to get his own grapple off very often. He also can't escape from us by this point (it's possible he could escape on a 20 depending on which magic items we have on at this point).

Round 2-5) We hold the Dire Bear there while our allies run around putting down all the mooks. We take a fair bit of damage, and end up being grabbed ourselves, which is ironic. At some point, Mr. Stupid second winds and sustains the grab. An enemy shoots at us, but we pull the Dire Bear in front of us instead.

Round 6+) Our allies hover at a respectful distance and pepper the Dire Bear with arrows and cleric laser beams until it dies. We might need a heal somewhere along the way, but basically it's going to be averaging about 12 DPR to us, so with just our second wind we have enough HP to last for 8 rounds of an elite monster beating on us. And that's with us just standing there, doing nothing!

Incoming Damage: If we use Disheartening Strike with Undeadhanded Advantage, the bear gets -4 to hit. If we have Defensive Advantage (this is moving into Paragon territory), we get an always-on +2 to AC. In other words, if we hit the bear, it hits us only on a 19+, for 3DPR. If we miss, it hits us on a 15+, for 7.5. Given that we hit it 70-% of the time, its joint probability DPR is 4.35. We've got enough health on our own to last 25 rounds against an elite brute! And this is without popping off Unbreakable or any other endurance powers that defenders get.

Outgoing Damage: Garrotes count as light blades for rogue powers and sneak attack, which is nice, but might be sacrificing one die a round to debuff his attack by -2. Because we don't really care about damage. But here is the analysis anyway: 65% chance of normal hit, for 1d4+7+2d6 + 5% crit chance for 14+2d6 = 11.8 DPR. Which means that we'll kill the bear in 25 rounds also, using nothing but at-wills. If we pop off some encounters or dailies, we'll be able to drop an elite by ourselves!

Conclusion: We're a better defender than most defenders. Rather than beat on the bear while it walks over and scoops up the party wizard in its loving embrace (BAD BEAR! BAD BEAR!) instead we've been able to negate it entirely. Sure, we'll be taking a lot of hits, but this is exactly what a defender is supposed to do. We're tough enough to survive the undivided attentions of an elite, and have a high enough Fortitude that it'll never get out.

And so I leave you with this: