Author Topic: Geeks + Cthulhu + Charles Stross Atrocity Archives = GOOD TIMES  (Read 10752 times)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2010/03/for-sale-first-edition-of-the.html

I am a huge fan of the Laundry Files. The first two novels are crazy as hell. I cannot wait to try this bad boy out for RPPR.

IDaMan008

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Lucky 13!
    • View Profile
    • Rag-NERD-rok Actual Plays
Re: Geeks + Cthulhu + Charles Stross Atrocity Archives = GOOD TIMES
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 05:02:58 PM »
This sounds pretty freakin' sweet. I've never heard of The Laundry Files before this, but I picked up The Atrocity Archives and Jennifer Morgue for my Kindle on your recommendation. Amazon has them up for only $7 each. If anybody out there in RPPR land is looking for a good read, check out these books. I just finished the first story in the first novel, and I must say, Bob Howard is quite the geek badass.

I, too, can't wait to get my hands on this one and give it a whirl with my players.

ristarr

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • Underwater Blues
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 05:22:27 PM »
I always pictured the books as CoC meets Office Space.  The office/bureaucracy parts of the book offer a lot of role playing possibilities.  Especially with the power struggles and the internecine politics both in the office and between the agencies of the different countries.  It could probably get a real Paranoia vibe if the politics get too rough ( or a supercomputer comes through one of the rips in time/space ).

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 05:26:12 PM »
well the geeks get cthulhu mythos based weapons like basilisk guns - a basilisk is an image that kills/neutralizes a person who views it http://www.ansible.co.uk/writing/c-b-faq.html so a basilisk gun projects a deadly image that kills whatever views it

Mendacium

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
  • Wherever you go, there you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 02:41:26 PM »
My apologies for necro-ing a thread that is almost 5 years old!  I performed a search of the forum database and found that there were very few posts regarding the Laundry Files books series or RPG, so I figured that this old thread was worth a resurrection.

If anyone has yet to read the terrific Laundry Files series by Charles Stross, I highly recommend it!  Currently, the publisher has released 5 novels (and a few short stories on Tor.com) about this ridiculous and awesome world that is a mix of James Bond, Lovecraft, and Office Space. 

I have yet, however, had a chance to play/run a game of the BRP system RPG released by Chaosium (http://www.chaosium.com/the-laundry-files-print/).  Has anyone had a chance to play this setting?  If so, could you please provide your thoughts on the game itself?

Ross - Have you kept up with the series?  Any chance that we will be able to hear a Laundry Files AP sometime in the near future?  Btw, keep up the good work, massive fan of the podcast!
“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.”
- G.K. Chesterton

PirateLawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 06:20:20 PM »
The BRP rules in the Laundry RPG are very well-presented, and the published scenarios are pretty darn good in the main, and easy enough to convert to other systems if you so wish. I've run a few one-shots and they have all gone very well.

It does help that a few of my gaming group are Anglophiles, so when you can draw upon great material like Yes, Minister and John Le Carre novels and such, it is loads of fun.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 06:29:51 PM »
I've read all the novels and we plan to run the Laundry Files this year - tom will play a ghoul (which they have rules for!)

PirateLawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 07:43:38 PM »
I've read all the novels and we plan to run the Laundry Files this year - tom will play a ghoul (which they have rules for!)

Don't forget the residual human resources ... one of my favourite turns of phrase in the series.

Zombieneighbours

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 03:41:32 AM »
Oh hell yeah. I have wanted to hear you guys do the laundry for a long time. 

PirateLawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 06:48:27 PM »

Let me guess the line: the actual play of this will get posted early in 2017.

Who wants to take the under?

Teapot

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 09:16:51 PM »
Oddly I find myself enjoying the rpg books more than the novels. Either way I love the setting and have dreams of running this (7th edition).

I'd guess the RPPR game to start a couple weeks before the next novel cones out.

Quick correction, it's Cubicle 7 publishing not Chaosium.