Author Topic: Screen name history  (Read 22249 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Screen name history
« on: April 03, 2009, 01:47:42 PM »
I am really bored!

As such I am doing anything to entertain myself, such as reading the members list. And so I wonder: where on earth did people come up with these names?

I mean, I have reasons behind my screen names; I kind of assume other people do as well.

My primary screen name, Tadanori Oyama, is about ten years old. The name is, more or less, stolen. In my freshman year of high school I was reading Usagi Yojimbo, fun series by the way, highly recommend it, and happened across a character who greatly appealed to me. Sparing details, the character was named Oyama Tadanori, sir name being the first name in Japanese naming. Character was badass and appealed to exisiting interests of mine. I'd just started using the internet at the time and wanted a cool name to use so I stole it.

I reversed the naming because I though Oyama would be a better "first name" so it has to come second.

Initially I simply copied the character from the comic to use as my own, including his appearance and abilities. Over time I changed it, especially once I moved to my first RP board and had the chance to actually play a character of my own design.

Over high school the character and named evolved and grew more personal. By the end of senior year Tadanori Oyama was simply an extension of myself into the internet, my digital face. I use the name whenever I create a profile where my personal views will be the primary reflection and seldom use the name in conjection with the character any longer.

So, what about you?

dragonshaos

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Amateur DM
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: Screen name history
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 03:32:05 PM »
My name is about 11 years old.  Im 19 btw.  When i first happened across the internet I was doing kid stuff, Neopets for example (when it wasn't all kids crap and before they whored themselves out to merchandising).  Back then I had my little console game names, usually Shadow cause I thought I was being original (damn you internets!).  When creating my profile name for neopets, I was trying to make it Dragonshadows (I love dragons...), but I typed it so fast it came up as Dragonshaos, which as far as I can tell is a name that hasn't been used for...like 16 years (I googled it   :P).

So for the past 11 years (roughly) Ive been using Dragonshaos as my core alias on the internet.  All my profiles are named this.  I usually name my characters in games Shaos because it's not even a word (but some electronic company online has it i think) and it has a kewl ring to it when pronounced right.  Shae-ohs

It started as a mistake but quickly grew on me when I realized I had a unique name of sorts for myself (I was like 8, so meh).  So thats the quick history behind my name.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

ethan_dawe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 03:39:23 PM »
My screen name is one I've been using for about 38 years :-)

I have used a couple of other screen names years and years ago, but none really stuck with me.

What's funny is that my "screen name" would seem to be one that is rather unique, but it isn't. There is another guy with the same name in Alabama. What are the odds?

« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 03:41:37 PM by ethan_dawe »

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 12:53:58 AM »
rayner = Kyle Rayner, Green Lantern.
23 = my birthday. May 23 to be exact

Kyle Rayner became GL just as I started reading comic books. He instantly became my hero.
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 01:24:31 AM »
I forgot about the Green Lantern. I thought your name was a variation on James Raynor from Starcaft.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 11:39:30 AM »
I've been using mine for 13 years when I discovered internet chat servers. It's a combination of my first and middle names transposed: patrick seth. I needed a letter to smooth out the transition so I choose "e". My screen name also has three defensible pronunciations: seth-er-ick, seth'rick, or seth erick. It's also one of the most unique screen names on the internet according to google because most sites that come up are something I've posted.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Mason

• he who laughs last, didn't get it.
    • View Profile
    • my myspace page
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 10:06:31 PM »
I have about five different names I use on the net but I've been using Mace for about 3 years on the internet, six years in real life. my name Is Jameson and I couldnt really pronounce my name when I was young. I'd tell people my name was jay mason. my dad dropped the jay and started introducing me to people as mason. since the world is getting lazier and lazier my friends from high school dropped the "son" off my name and added "ce" instead giving me the handle Mace. I only use JAmeson when I want to sound professional and shit. I also use jacen, jacen ali(my starwars character name), swodahs(for any RP scenarios online), jam3r1325, and cross0325(for the seX BOX360).
"a Kenyan man once told me you can get use to anything when money is involved... he use to stick mice up his ass for twenty dollars a pop." -Spider Jerusalem

Maze

• Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Azathoth Janitorial Services
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 11:08:48 PM »
I have this weird deformity so yeah... Maze...

Actually, has a flash artist on Newgrounds, I had to pick up some kind of fucking screen name, and since my former one "Darkshen" was so horrible, I just had to get a new one. I went for Eternal Green for the simple reason that my favorite color is green (my best friends all had different fav colors) and that I liked the eternity sign. 8 put on its side. I also had a ring with that sign. I just switched to Maze for no fucking reason about a year ago because it's the only domain I could find: Maze Graphics for my to-be graphic artist website. It also rolls off the tongue well.

Zeernebooch

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 02:10:08 AM »
I started using Zeernebooch when I started playing WoW after finding it on a list of spirits form german folklore. I like the way it sounds so i have kept using it ever since. Some of my other names i have used are kisada7 (Hida Kisada was the crab clan champion in Legend of the Five Rings lore during the Clan Wars. he allied with the Shadowlands, the big bad of l5r, in an attempt to take the throne as emperor), Drueg/Drueg the Blue/Drueg1 (name that i came up with and used in some short stories and RPGs), and Tsuron (a character i played in pbp L5R game a while back and wrote  some really bad L5R fan fiction about). Also used Yojimbo followed by random numbers for a while after the first time i saw the film of the same name.
Welcome to dying! I don't let it out! Welcome to dying! Look to the mirror it
shows what I am! Welcome to dying!This town must burn now! Welcome to dying!
Can't you see the dragon's seed bears in me, the one who's been before!
-- Welcome to Dying by Blind Guardian

Dawnsteel

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Dispensing indiscriminate justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 12:28:09 AM »
I stole "Dawnsteel" from a supernatural/horror type game called Whispering Vault.  Dawnsteel was one of the sample characters in the core rulebook, I liked the game and I loved the name, so I stole it.  (I never played WV as Dawnsteel, though, I had two other characters - "Gunny" who was a cannon-master on a US warship in the late 18th century; and Archer, who was a film-noir style detective who appeared only in black-and-white.)
Sometimes I use Spade45 - Spade was my Amber character (third-born but second son of Random and Vialle, really lucked out on the parentage there).
I didn't come here to win. I came to make friends.

codered

• Don't Hate!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 02:49:11 PM »
My screen name came from A Few Good Men, I was 14 and needed a cool name for my laser tag membership so I went with that. a little time later codered mountain dew came out and then I was the lame guy using a pop for a code name ......GRRRRR  It was mine first

stupid mountain dew   ...
 >:(
Kenders Rock

AmishNinja

• View Profile
    • NaturalOne
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 03:50:16 PM »
I'm a huge RTS (real time strategy) game fan, and back in the day I used to play Age of Empires II a lot. I joined this clan called the Amish Rake Fighters because they were cool and didn't take things too seriously despite being overall decent players. I became notorious for using sneaky flanking tactics, and surprise-champion flooding people's towns late game, sometimes while maintaining a front-line battle elsewhere. It was described a few times by fellow clanmates as ninja-like behavior. It was around this time that I needed an online alias, so amish ninja just seemed to fit at the time. Images of a pitchfork wielding ninja who sneaks around in barns abound, and good times were had.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 03:54:03 PM by AmishNinja »

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 05:28:53 PM »
I like this thread...

Flawless P is a kinda weird name I know, but the story is pretty mundane. It's about.... 11 years old at this point, I was about 12 when I started using it, even worse I tried it on as a nickname before making it my gaming handle. (my actual gaming handle at the time was the_undertaker_401 because my favorite pro wrestler is The Undertaker)

Me and a friend of mine were always hanging out, we were pretty damn inseperable. I would go to his house and watch kung fu movies and then we would take his moms video camera and try to shoot our own movies. We watched The One like 12 times before he decided we should have nicknames for our characters in our kung fu movies. He was called Shadow, which he picked mainly because he was super black like super super, like wesley snipes black. After watching The One so many times he noticed that all the different variations of Jet Li were named he noticed one was named Lawless. He thought that was cool but I didn't want to copy the movie(as if anyone would ever know). So we settled on Flawless.

The nicknames never stuck and I was playing Counter Strike in class in HS and didn't want to use my undertaker handle because it felt worn out. I thought of Flawless and decided it felt plain so I added the P for the first letter of my last name, and it has stuck ever since. It's my PSN name, my forums name for every damn forum I am a member of and I have used it on more games than I can count.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 05:34:51 PM by Flawless P »
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Zeriken

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 06:05:03 PM »
Oooh, I was thinking about this the other day. I'm a heavy pbp RPGer, and there are two things that pissed me off on the site I went to; moderator favoritism/corruption and overpowered bullshit. The premise was a MtG based rpg, with limits; nobody was a planeswalker.

Well, these three people managed to convince the site owner to allow them to use Planeswalker characters and Gods (powers vastly above those of everyone else). No need to go any further; everyone should already know where this is going, insofar as the shenanigans that would occur after something like this. In their defense, they could have done a lot more bs than they actually did. They restrained themselves.

It was still enough to piss me off, though. So I decided; I will create some OC of a world of Immortal Hunters. I got 2 other people on the board in on it, and basically I made the characters have racial immunity to anything Planeswalkers and Gods could do. Everything else worked as normal, though.

Anyways, Zeriken was the character, and I strive to use it everywhere as a reminder to those who were of the OP group (they are friends of mine, so they do read some of the stuff I post up on boards every once in a while). I've gotten a few 'screw you's every once in a while.

Feels good, man.
Magadheera - Must find sub of this movie.

Joven

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 06:43:46 PM »
I suck at naming things (and back in the day I played the crap out of Diablo 2, making every variant of each class I could, after a while it took me longer to decide on a name for a character then to get it to Act 2 sometimes), so after having first gotten the internet and needing a name for something or other, I just looked around at what was in the room and swiped some names that seemed to sound OK together.

My full internet name is Joven Sauder, the first part stolen from my favorite MTG card, Joven's Ferrets, the last name stolen from the brand name of a bookcase we bought and had yet to assemble.