Author Topic: 3d Models & Custom Minis - Props and other coolness  (Read 6984 times)

ArtfulShrapnel

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
3d Models & Custom Minis - Props and other coolness
« on: April 03, 2010, 05:51:30 PM »
I figured I'd start a thread to show off the stuff I'm making, and see if anyone else has some custom minis or props to show off.

I've been playing around with zbrush and 3d modeling, and I've fallen in love with the process of 3d printing. There's something amazing about making something digitally and having it show up on your door in a box.

This site called Shapeways is simple and affordable. Even better, they let you set yourself up as a "store", so other people can have prints of your model made for themselves. I've started on a few custom monsters for the RPG I'm working on, this is the first one. Giant flying centipede from the RPG me and Violet are working on. Considering making a PDF of stats for 4e and 3.5e.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/108416/leviathan_centipede.html

The one I linked is about 5.5" tall (it would be a "huge" monster in DnD terms), and getting it printed is actually a bit less than the price shown on Shapeways. (i put a tiny markup in case people actually buy the thing) I think that's pretty awesome, and the prices for this kind of stuff keep dropping. I think we'll start to see custom print-on-demand figures show up with lots of games and supplements in the near future.

Any other 3d modelers on RPPR? Any cool models to show off? Anyone like the idea of creating a set of RPPR-linked shops on Shapeways to spread the custom mini love?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 07:21:22 PM by ArtfulShrapnel »

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
Re: 3d Models & Custom Minis - Props and other coolness
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 10:48:49 PM »
Nice looking model. Paint that up would look pimp.

ArtfulShrapnel

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 01:31:49 AM »
Nice looking model. Paint that up would look pimp.

The first print is destined to be stored in a jar of "mystery fluid" (tea) with some shreds of latex-y skin. I will be sure to post photos.
(it will look about like this)

Maybe print #2 will get painted.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 01:38:51 AM by ArtfulShrapnel »

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 03:45:48 PM »
Nice and nasty, that will look wild!