Author Topic: Bootlegging  (Read 10062 times)

KallMeKip

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Bootlegging
« on: April 22, 2010, 09:56:41 PM »
So my players have decided to start up a bootlegging operation due to the probation laws in the city they are in. I have made subquest to run off this. but i am having trouble making mechanics for the making of the alcohol. The players already "acquired" farms to grow wheat and barley. 

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Bootlegging
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 10:06:41 PM »
new skill: brew alcohol 01%

have them make a skill check to successfully brew moonshine.

That's it.

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 11:01:33 PM »
Wheat and Barly there not making moon shine there making beer thats boaring! have them make Moon shine much more fun, and a lot easyer no yeast and such I think beer would be higher up on the table from moon shine.

Vega Baby

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 11:40:46 PM »
Well, I'd say either have one of them take the time to learn to brew beer, and just give them a brew beer skill for skill checks, or allow them to seek out and recruit an NPC that could do the brewing for them.  Then, just have most of the group's work go towards keeping the operation a secret, and setting up distribution, and possibly a few speakeasies.  You know, the fun stuff.

The party should rarely have to do the monotonous busywork, and even if they have to do it, the game shouldn't focus on it for long.

Dawnsteel

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Dispensing indiscriminate justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 11:50:44 PM »
Wheat and Barly there not making moon shine there making beer

What do you think you start with when you make moonshine?

The players could have a hard time finding components (the most difficult part, probably, is the extensive glass tubing to condense the alcohol vapor) to build a still, not to mention where they'd hide it.  If the city they're in has strict prohibition laws, is there already a bootlegging operation in-town that's going to cause the PCs trouble when they get wind of it?

So far as mechanically-making-booze, it's not that hard once you have a still, basically keeping the fire burning.
I didn't come here to win. I came to make friends.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 11:52:24 PM »
this is call of cthulhu not world of boozecraft

Dawnsteel

• Dispensing indiscriminate justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 11:57:26 PM »

If I have to deal with cosmic horrors, I'm gonna want a stiff drink, OK?
I didn't come here to win. I came to make friends.

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 12:15:46 AM »
Wheat and Barly there not making moon shine there making beer

What do you think you start with when you make moonshine?

The players could have a hard time finding components (the most difficult part, probably, is the extensive glass tubing to condense the alcohol vapor) to build a still, not to mention where they'd hide it.  If the city they're in has strict prohibition laws, is there already a bootlegging operation in-town that's going to cause the PCs trouble when they get wind of it?

So far as mechanically-making-booze, it's not that hard once you have a still, basically keeping the fire burning.

No you make beer with barly and wheat, Moonshine is made from cheap as you can get suger.

http://www.wisebread.com/how-to-make-moonshine

KallMeKip

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 06:44:07 AM »
Actually is 3.5 dnd. Which is why it was shocked by their decision to do this caught me off guard. My college group is busy with finials so i have been running for high schoolers.

As for the equipment they have an Alchemy lab they are going to use.

Dogfish

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 08:51:00 AM »

No you make beer with barly and wheat, Moonshine is made from cheap as you can get suger.

If you are bootlegging then you're making alcohol to sell on to the public. Making moonshine wouldn't help you because it's rot-gut. Also don't be so ignorant to think that barley and wheat are used only in the production of beer. If you had a single clue about the production of alcohol you would know that any source of simple sugars to ferment is all you need. Hence MALT whisky...or the crap you'll be drinking, whiskey.

ArtfulShrapnel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 11:19:54 AM »
I'm with the guys who just say to handwave the entire manufacturing process. Making decent beer is mostly about having the right ingredients and following basic instructions anyways. (Great beer is usually just secret recipes and slightly more complex instructions)

Make the story about acquiring the materials (which are obviously illegal) finding secret recipes for awesome alcohol, keeping the still a secret, and dealing with competitors and cops. If they're really concerned about it, let them make "learning rolls" upon exposure to the instructions and hand out some free "Craft: Alcohol" skill points to the ones who pass. Have them roll every week or two when they start a new batch, and if they roll really high it might make their product more desirable, with all the problems that entails!

malyss

• Gimme some sugar baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 11:30:29 AM »
I'm with the guys who just say to handwave the entire manufacturing process. Making decent beer is mostly about having the right ingredients and following basic instructions anyways. (Great beer is usually just secret recipes and slightly more complex instructions)

Make the story about acquiring the materials (which are obviously illegal) finding secret recipes for awesome alcohol, keeping the still a secret, and dealing with competitors and cops. If they're really concerned about it, let them make "learning rolls" upon exposure to the instructions and hand out some free "Craft: Alcohol" skill points to the ones who pass. Have them roll every week or two when they start a new batch, and if they roll really high it might make their product more desirable, with all the problems that entails!

Damn you. I wanted to make all of these points. Now I have nothing of value to contribute to this thread.

Maybe you could make some of their customers really interesting?

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 11:43:41 AM »

If you are bootlegging then you're making alcohol to sell on to the public. Making moonshine wouldn't help you because it's rot-gut. Also don't be so ignorant to think that barley and wheat are used only in the production of beer. If you had a single clue about the production of alcohol you would know that any source of simple sugars to ferment is all you need. Hence MALT whisky...or the crap you'll be drinking, whiskey.

As you said you will be selling it and the cheaper it is to make the larger your profit margin is! thats why Moonshine was so populer, and I didnt say that barly and wheat were only used for beer, i just ment that there are still cheaper things out there to make.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 11:51:13 AM »
Hit them with horrible monsters from beyond time and space! That'll teach them to try and make booze! So you want a still eh? Turns out dimenisonal shamblers just love tight, pressurized yeast containing canisters, enjoy that one.

My fall back is: if the characters don't want to investigate, than have the "mystery" probe them.