Author Topic: Victory Force (M&M 2nd ed. Seeking 3-5 players)  (Read 69611 times)

Arje

• Play by Post Dude. Malcontent.
  • Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Victory Force (M&M 2nd ed. Seeking 3-5 players)
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2010, 01:31:03 AM »
I'm violating my edict on focusing on school work to remind people of tradeoffs.

You have a +7 to hit and +7 damage tradeoff by default...

You could have a +10 to hit and a +4 to damage if you want. Or the other way around. Or any combination as long as your "to hit/damage" adds up to less than or equal to 2xPL.

The same tradeoff exists for defense bonus/toughness.

I can explain in greater detail as needed. But it allows you to have a PL 10 batman and a PL 10 superman and the superman hit for +15 damage and the batman attack with a +15 bonus and be characters who are comparable. Instead of every character having +10's for everything.

TRADEOFFS!!!!

My new goal in life is to play D&D with Judi Dench

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2010, 01:47:25 AM »
I'll take the averages myself. +7 to both.

On a similar subject, what limitations would like to place on Drawbacks? So far I have 8 points, a powerful but uncommon Weakness and a fairly minor but common Vulnerability.

Arje

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2010, 02:00:32 AM »
8 pts of drawbacks is probably about the maximum i'm willing to allow. They are subject to approval, because the genre of the game is such that something that might be a common weakness in an avengers or JLA style game is probably closer to uncommon in this game, but I can't say for sure until i see the writeup.

We'll also be making up lists of complications, because complications make mutants and masterminds what it is.

I'll be on for the next hour or so as i continue to work on the architecture of the forums so anything you want to go over in greater detail i'm more than willing to. I'll also be making a largeish post in the near future addressing questions already posed etc.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2010, 02:14:27 AM »
I figured. I can shave a couple of points if I need to. Mine are pretty straight forward. Dark Matter distablized Nicholai before he was born and is the origin of his powers. When it is nearby his control of his powers quickly fades away (weakness, major, cumulative -1 to everythhing every minute). On the more direct side of things his flesh is still, in general, mortal, and burns are especially unpleasant. Common hazard (fire) with a minor damage boost (+1 to save DCs and +1 to any damage from a fire source).

For complications I'm mostly thinking allegiances. Nicholai was raised to support his birth nation (Russia) but was controlled and manipulated by every representative of that nation he's never met. The monsterous nature of his powers makes keeping cover a complication. Fear of the deep underground (the place where dark matter comes from); he's never been there but he knows that's where the material is from and fears what will happen to him if he goes there.

I'll do some more personalized complications after bouncing off of the other PCs a little, discovering relationships and rivalries, if that's alright.

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2010, 07:25:59 PM »
I gots a question:

How to dynamic arrays work essentially?

You add two ranks to several powers and they can all share one pool of points, right?

Those two dynamic ranks don't actually count towards the power pool, right?

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2010, 07:51:18 PM »
An array is a set of powers which use the same pool of points.

You have to purchase a new feat (Alternative Power) for each new power you add to the array.

In a normal array you can only use one ability out of the array at any given time and you can only change the power you are using once per round.

However, by purchasing Alternative Power twice for each power you make that power Dynamic. Dynamic powers can share the points from the pool and be used at the same time (assuming you have the actions to do so).

So, slight change. I will do some trade offs.

I'll drop Defense by 1 to raise Toughness by 1, and drop Damage by 2 to raise Attack by 2.

Okay, I'm basically done. Just a point or two floating around at the moment.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 11:14:51 PM by Tadanori Oyama »

Seejo Crux

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • High INT, Low CHA. Tend to be social misfits.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2010, 08:50:17 PM »

Feature: Temporal Inertia. Survive the next Crisis with your memories intact.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2010, 11:01:14 PM »
Feature: Temporal Inertia. Survive the next Crisis with your memories intact.

I was gonna take Improved Initative... but your idea sounds much better.

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2010, 11:46:22 PM »
I'll probably look to attempt to try and stat something that resembles a character later.  Hopefully it doesn't fail miserably...

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2010, 11:55:21 AM »
I'll probably look to attempt to try and stat something that resembles a character later.  Hopefully it doesn't fail miserably...

Well you know you don't have to get very complicated. With 135 points you could take no powers and only a few feats and put the rest into skills, base attributes, and bonuses to make yourself into a superhuman.

Max attack Bonus, 14 pts
Max defense Bonus, 14 pts

Strength 24 and Constitution 24 maxes out Damage for unarmed attacks and your Toughness Save, 28 pts.

Make your +7 Toughness in Impervious Toughess for 7 more points.

At this point you've spent slightly less than half of your point total.

Make your other attributes into 20s for 40 points, which'd put you at 103 points spent.

Right now you've got at least +5 with any skill in the game (barring ones which can only be used trained). So, let's round out and toss 12 points into the fires of Skill ranks. That gives you 48 ranks to sprinkle around your skills. Make sure to put at least 1 rank into my skill that can only be used Trained so you can make a roll on them (your minimum bonus will be +6 since you'll have to have at least 1 rank and at least a +5 attribute bonus) and put the rest into whatever skills you think will be useful.

So, with 115 points spent you've got another 20 to find a home for.

At least 10 of these will do well in Feats, especially Improved Feats, like Disarm, Trip, Grapple, those little extras that make the game options more flexable for you.

So, with 10 left just hanging around, why not take 3 ranks in Lucky to get more hero points and sink the other 6 into Luck Control, it give you more options on your hero points.

There you are, one complete character with no laser beam eyes. You can apply whatever cover story you want for why he's so generally awesome, such as super secret training in Tibet with ninjas, he's got robot parts, or even he's an alien from another planet.

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2010, 06:59:49 PM »
Accidental Post
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 07:04:21 PM by Kroack »

Seejo Crux

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • High INT, Low CHA. Tend to be social misfits.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2010, 07:07:14 PM »

If you need inspiration, you can always check out the Atomic Think Tank's fan-made DC/Marvel builds. My personal favorites are Baron and Taliesen.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2010, 12:13:35 PM »
The People's Man
Nicholai

PL: 7 (135 pp)

Abilities: STR: 10 (+0) DEX: 24 (+7) CON: 26 (+8) INT: 10 (+0) WIS: 10 (+0) CHA: 10 (+0)

Skills: Acrobatics 3 (+10), Bluff, Climb, Computers, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Disable Device 9 (+9), Disguise, Drive, Escape Artist, Gather Information, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Investigate, Knowledge 'Life Sciences' 10 (+10), Language, Medicine, Notice 10 (+10), Perform, Pilot, Profession, Ride, Search 10 (+10), Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand 3 (+10), Stealth 3 (+10), Survival 4 (+4), Swim 4 (+4)

Feats: Combat Feats -: (Imprved Trip) (Improved Pin) (Choke Hold) (Grappling Finesse) (Uncanny Dodge 'Touch") (Attack Focus Melee 9) (Dodge Focus 6) Fortune Feats -: () General Feats -: (Endurance) (Ambidexterity) Skill Feats -: ()

Powers: Fireblast-
Create Object- Rank 5 (Flaw: Feedback; Power Feats: Innate, Precise, Tether, and Subtle) [Cost 8 pp]
Additional Limbs- Rank 6 (Power Feats: Subtlex2) [Cost 8 pp]
Elongation- Rank 7 (Extra: Action; Power Feats: Improved Range) [Cost 14 pp]
Strike- Damage 5 (-) [Cost 5 pp]
Instubstancial- Rank 1 (-) [Cost 5 pp]
Speed- Rank 3 (-) [Cost 3 pp]
Supermovement- Rank 3 (Slithering and Wall Climbingx2) [Cost 6 pp]
Regeneration- Rank 11 (Bruised 1 (one round); Unconcious 1 (one round); Injuried 3 (one minute); Staggered 2; Disabled 2; Dead 2 (one day; freezing prevents) [Cost 13 pp]
Super Sense- Rank 3 (Ranged sense of Touch, Accurate Touch) [Cost 3 pp]
Snare- Rank 1 (Flaw: Range) [Cost 2 pp]
Morph- Rank 2 (Can assume humanoid forms) [Cost 4 pp]

Base Attack And Defense: Base Attack Bonus (+0 ) and Base Defense Bonus (+0)

Combat: Attack - (+9 melee, +0 ranged) Defense +6 (+0 Flat-footed) Init +7

Saves: Toughness -(+8) Fortitude -(+8) Reflex -(+7) Will -(+5)

Drawbacks:
Weakness: Dark Matter, Severe Weakness, 1 minute repeat cycle
Vulnerability: Fire, minor, adds +1 to damage saves and saving throws from fire based attacks and effects

Abilities 30 + Skills 14 (48 Ranks) + Feats 22 + Powers 72 + Combat 0 + Saves 5 - Drawbacks 8 = 135 pp's
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 07:15:00 PM by Tadanori Oyama »

Arje

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2010, 02:56:12 PM »
Lookin good. Going to check the maths here in a bit.

IM DONE WITH THIS SEMESTER. I need like a day to re cooperate, and then we are go for launch.

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2010, 02:58:27 PM »
Yeah, have a Physics midterm tomorrow, and some stuff next week, but I should be able to get a pretty good feel for a character done by sometime tomorrow (modern physics, requires some studying)...

But yeah, I think I would be ready to go by this weekend/next week.