Author Topic: Computer question  (Read 10533 times)

KallMeKip

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Computer question
« on: June 09, 2010, 09:06:03 PM »
So Tiger direct has a 1tb hardrive for 40 dollars My question is Should i get it. I dont need 1tb of memory but on the other hand it  is such a good deal. And theres geek bragging rights Its a  Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB HD OEM if that matters.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=4691122&sku=TSD-1000AS3

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
Re: Computer question
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 09:12:34 PM »
Do it!
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

KallMeKip

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 09:18:25 PM »
So it is a good Deal then? Im not realy good with hardware prices.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »
So it is a good Deal then? Im not realy good with hardware prices.

You'll have to ask others for spec advice. I'm just cheerleading.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

nekomata

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 09:38:16 PM »
$40 for a tb is freaking amazing. They usually run from $90-200, and the $90 ones youll usually regret buying. My oly problem with seagate is that I used to see 5000 of them a day when I was working at circuity city, very rarely returned however.
Just because you aren't drunk now doesn't mean you won't have a hangover tommarow.
The only thing worse then zombies is nanotech zombies that are immune to disintegration.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 09:43:59 PM »
So i am posting on the internet my question is should i use Proper punctuation. I took some classes on it but on the other hand it    is such a pain. and theres geek bragging rights Its serious business if that matters.

BeyondSandrock

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Give Life Back to Music
    • View Profile
    • The BrightSide Lair - My Personal Repository for Stuff
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 09:45:49 PM »
From personal experience, I would not trust this particular hard drive.  Seagate does produce some fairly decent external drives but I've had no luck with their internal drives. When I've used them they've had the tendency to burn out quickly (worst crashed 3 months in after install).  Plus this models the memory cache seems rather low compared on what is offered on other 1TB and higher drives.  I personally recommend going with Western Digital or Maxtor.  The prices are a little higher, but I've rarely ever gotten a lemon drive from them. 
"All of time and space, everything that ever happened or will happen. Where do you want to begin?"

KallMeKip

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 09:52:54 PM »
How much would a Maxtor Run for?

BeyondSandrock

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 10:03:40 PM »
Depends on where you get it. I usually purchase from Newegg and prices there can run from decent to eh, not-so-decent. 

Here's a decently priced Western Digital:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136490

It has a little slower RPM than the Seagate you were looking at, but better memory cache.  Also, if you want to try to get the Seagate, it is a decent price. Though I would recommend seeing if Tiger Direct has any other warranty plans other than the general 30 day just in case.

Edit: Also looked on Newegg for a 1TB Maxtor drive, but it does not look like they are selling one.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 10:18:21 PM by BeyondSandrock »
"All of time and space, everything that ever happened or will happen. Where do you want to begin?"

Ryo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 11:06:04 PM »
I would not go for such a huge drive unless you were buying two or had a book or what have you for backing up. That is to say determine how much data storage you think you need, double it and you should be fine. What's the point of a t1 if you aren't going to need the space within the next 5ish years?

I also prefer black vs green.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319&cm_re=hd_black-_-22-136-319-_-Product

Joven

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 11:34:31 PM »
Maxtor are made by Seagate, also you dont really need to pay any extra for the warranty since most hard drives come with at least a 3 year warranty (and plenty with 5).

One thing to note though, Tiger Direct is infamous for not fulfilling rebates, so dont really count on it being $40

I've generally had good luck with Seagate drives, although there are problems that people reported with their 1.5tb+ drives (not sure how much of that filtered down into the 1tb drives though, but the SMART status has reported too many bad sectors on 1 or 2 of my seagate 1.5's and so I've pretty much switched to WD for my drives.)

Also, you may not need the space now, but once you have it eventually you'll use it, I never had much data needs till I started getting bigger drives, and now I'm practically always needing to upgrade my server (went from a 320 to 2x320's to 3x500's to 4x750s to 5x1.5tbs and will probably need to add more in the near future)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 11:44:21 PM by Joven »

BeyondSandrock

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 11:45:35 PM »
Wasn't aware Seagate acquired Maxtor in 2006. That's good to know. If you do need to return something, Newegg is great about theirs as long as you are still in warranty.

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 12:54:08 AM »
Wasn't aware Seagate acquired Maxtor in 2006. That's good to know. If you do need to return something, Newegg is great about theirs as long as you are still in warranty.

Very true, I have had to return a few things too them in the past there great about it. Wester Digital, is allways a good buy, I think 90% of my hard drives that I have bought were WD. Never had any problems with them.

Bronnen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 02:49:11 PM »
I prefer NCIX.com for my computer needs.

I got a 1 TB harddrive a year ago from them, It was a Toshiba something. 40$ rebate made it less than 100$ and they have great customer service. Sadly, I'll need another TB HDD soon, mine is already full, as is my 500 gig one.

ArtfulShrapnel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 09:20:09 AM »
I say go for it. I picked up a 1.5 tb Seagate near Christmas, didn't even need it right then. having a big pile of extra storage is a really nice thing if you produce any sort of digital content, and you can use it as a backup for critical files otherwise. With the way file sizes and bandwidth jump up, by the time you retire your PC that 1tb drive will seem tiny. And heck, it's $40.