Author Topic: Fallout 3 Inspired/Based game  (Read 18417 times)

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
Fallout 3 Inspired/Based game
« on: August 11, 2010, 07:58:45 PM »
Would there be any interest?  Basically I was looking at the strategy guide I have for it, and it's all gameable and if people are interested, I would be glad to run something.  I really have no expectations going in, so if people want to do it and have specific requests, let me know or make a note here and I'll see what's what...

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 3 Inspired/Based game
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 09:56:21 PM »
play by post?

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 11:01:22 PM »
Yes it would be play by post.  I suppose I should clarify a bit more.  Basically, I have snapshots of a bunch of potential NPCs (i.e. NPCs from the video game) and a ton of maps, as well as sample types of quests.  So I feel like I'm sitting on a game waiting to happen.  I have no preconceptions for anything, and while I would enjoy running it, I don't feel running it is absolutely necessary, so it is more if people want to play something similar, I wanted to bring that option up (since we had this revamped play by post stuff and it seems there isn't that much going on for one reason or another).

So basically if you are interested in anything in this general region, let me know and feel free to tell me exactly what you would or would not want.  I figured at bare minimum, I would pull the Capital Wasteland map straight, just because it is so incredibly detailed and so much stuff is on it, it would be kind of neat.  Other than that, we could pretty much do whatever you want.  I just really love the atmosphere of the game and appreciate the work that went into detailing it.

Also if you have a suggestion for a system, let me know as well.  I figured of the stuff I'm familiar with, Savage Worlds would be the easiest to work with (though I could see a modified All Flesh Must Be Eaten working), but I'm interested in branching out, so if you want to play, feel free to suggest a system...

iceemaker

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Medium Aberrant Humanoid (Gamer)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 03:48:21 PM »
This idea sounds really cool - it's basically like Fallout 3, only better. As much as I love technology and science, the human imagination will always win over an AI. I would very much like to play this game.

My favorite part of Fallout 3 is its exploration aspect, by far. Being able to not only see post-apocalyptic suburbia, but also sift through its remnants and find tokens from a different, less-irradiated era. Not only that, one also needs to actually be aware of one's surroundings and possessions. Though I typically frown upon such bookkeeping, radiation exposure, ammunition and food/water supplies would be fun to keep track of in the Fallout world.

Also, robots.

I don't know anything about Savage Worlds or AFMBE, so I'm fine with whatever. Too bad Gamma World won't be out for a few months. They do have all those weird rules for mutations, so maybe the system is not that applicable...
My avatar is Jade Harley from Homestuck. You really should be reading it.

Kroack

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 09:21:09 PM »
gurps is always good.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 11:24:23 AM »
gurps is always good.

I love GURPS. I'll play as long as we're able to embrace the Fallout series delightful sense of humor during play.

Kroack

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 11:45:07 AM »
fallout was originally going to be based upon the gurps system.

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 12:14:45 PM »
Alright, looks like I've got numbers.  I just realized that I could really easily splice together a few RPG systems along with the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. (that is surprisingly difficult to type quickly, try it) System and make something that fairly closely parallels the set up in the game.  Would people be interested in that?  I'm not too familiar with GURPS, though I have the source book, so I'm not sure if that would be the best bet just because I've heard it is really complex...

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 12:43:08 PM »
Also, I would like to block out a general plan for starting/a couple of "adventures" this weekend.  Thus I would like to know if there is anything you prefer as far as stuff from the game.  If I don't get any responses, I'll probably pull general groups of people (Brotherhood, Enclave, Raiders, Super Mutants, etc.), as well as potentially most of the large settlements (Little Lamplight, Bigtown, etc.), not sure about Megaton though (mainly because I'm not sure how people feel about pulling NPCs from the game, I'd be cool with it, but in certain games I know I wouldn't want to interact too much with "main" characters from the universe).  Anyway, if you have any preferences about what you would or would not want, let me know, and I'll factor that in.  Oh, also default would be something similar to the "leaving the vault," though I'm not exactly sure what (it may not necessarily be leaving a vault, but there would be something where you are "sheltered" then suddenly not).  I just think it works well as a jumping off point, having little equipment and a huge world, with it all open...

Kroack

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 01:01:35 PM »
whatever works, but a system has to be decided upon.

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 01:10:15 PM »
whatever works, but a system has to be decided upon.

I'm going to look at potentially whipping something up this weekend that is going to be a mash-up of a number of systems with the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system (see three above).  So it might be fun and a bit closer to the game...

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 11:24:45 PM »
Alright, I know this kind of fell by the wayside for a few weeks because I was lazy and didn't get off my butt to figure out the system and what not.  Anyway, I'm here to say that I still plan on running it if at least 2 people are still interested in playing.

Here are the supplement "rules"

https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B_5ebej8duvYNTk4N2M3MWUtOWRkMS00ZGM2LTgzYjYtY2M1YmI0YWJhMzdj&hl=en

If two people can confirm a yes, I will put in a request for a board and will make an "official" character sheet available (you could probably use a regular Savage Worlds one, but it would be a little messy, so I'm going to put together an Excel sheet with some formulas and pop it up on Googledocs so everyone will look the same or whatever)...

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 01:33:25 AM »
I take it people have lost interest or decided to pass on the game.  If that is incorrect, feel free to let me know, I'd love to run this for y'all...