Author Topic: What Vidja games are you playing?  (Read 996143 times)

HapexIndustries

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Re: What Vidja games are you playing?
« Reply #1335 on: June 29, 2016, 02:19:13 AM »
www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/06/14/phoenix-point-new-xcom-julian-gollop/

New game by the originator of XCom. Less aliens more prototype style virus.

Read about that a couple weeks ago, really excited.  Original XCOM was one of the games that defined my experience as a kid that grew up with a PC instead of consoles; it was also one of the first games I bought with my own money.  22 years later I never beat the goddamn thing but it stole dozens if not hundreds of hours from me. 

I've played Gollop's last two games and the guy still has it; Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars is a really well done TBS for the 3DS of all systems, most people didn't know he was involved and discounted the game as another crappy Ghost Recon port but it was unique to the system and quite good.  Chaos Reborn was his last game, a PC only multiplayer TBS, I played through the tutorial and the game looked very good and fun and interesting but, eh, multiplayer only with no single player campaign is a deal breaker for me so I never got into it.  I have high hopes for the next game, though; we don't have a whole lot of heroes left in the gaming world, most have either abandoned us or become villains to one degree or another (Tim Schaefer, Peter Molyneux, John Carmack, etc) so it's nice to have such an influential and important personality step in from the shadows and say 'HOLD UP GUYZ I GOT THIS.'

Cordyceps

• View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: July 11, 2016, 02:35:09 AM »
I played through and finished a couple of cheap, short indie games I got off of the Steam summer sale.  The first was Pony Island (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vLzSh1UKgs) which is about breaking out of Purgatory by hacking Satan's video game.  The other is a visual novel called We Know the Devil (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbH_wl2UQWg) and it is a horror game about being the "third wheel" in a group of friends.  I highly recommend both, but if I had to choose which is the better game then I would say We Know the Devil is my favorite. It is just so emotionally powerful and affecting that it'll probably stay with me for a very long time.   
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 10:26:33 PM by Cordyceps »

trinite

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast
« Reply #1337 on: July 12, 2016, 05:34:39 PM »
After more than 10 years, I'm finally getting a new gaming laptop tomorrow. So I'm going to break it in...with a little Nethack.
Check out the Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast!
http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

Claive

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: July 22, 2016, 01:14:19 PM »
Rimworld is amazing!  It has been out for a while but it just came to steam.
"No labyrinth is inescapable" -Gantz

Twisting H

• View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: September 03, 2016, 01:53:07 PM »
You guys might be interested in this free alpha

Streets of Rogue

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/09/01/emergent-antics-in-streets-of-rogues-free-alpha/#more-394341

Download link: http://streetsofrogue.com/

Trip reports

Inadequately on Something Awful
I spawned as a gorilla with a mission to retrieve an autographed baseball from a shopkeeper. Attempts to negotiate peacefully failed on account of the shopkeeper's unreasonable anti-gorilla prejudice and my inability to speak human language. Things came to a head when I insolently ate a banana in front of him and threw the peel at his face, and soon I was dashing through the streets dodging shotgun blasts from an angry shopkeeper while I pummeled him with gorilla fists. After retrieving the baseball from his corpse I looted the key to his office safe, stealing a pile of gold and a magic potion. The magic potion proceeded to turn me into King Kong, and I rampaged through the streets crushing hapless slum dwellers beneath titanic gorilla paws. Sometime during this rampage I broke through a lab and crushed a pack of scientists, freeing a score of imprisoned gorilla brethren, who promptly swore fealty to me.

Later on, the gorilla gang died in an ill-conceived raid on a mafia hideout. Game's fun.

Bruteman on Something Awful
Streets of Rogue is pretty fun to mess around in. I had to get an item out of some scientists' lab, so I dumped rage poison in their HVAC and they went nuts on each other. The one scientist who happened to step outside came back and was baffled at what was happening (complete with "?" over his head) before running for his life. Once they cleared out, I got in to get the item, but the cage in the corner containing the gorilla they were keeping had broken in the melee, and he came after me.

I was playing a scientist, and it turns out they attack scientists on sight. RIP me.

Claive

• View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: November 15, 2016, 11:46:56 AM »
7 Days to Die
http://store.steampowered.com/app/251570/

I would love to see Aaron and Ross playing this together.
"No labyrinth is inescapable" -Gantz

Alethea

• View Profile
    • LauraBWrites
« Reply #1341 on: November 15, 2016, 08:17:01 PM »
Duskers
http://store.steampowered.com/app/254320/

I'm about 12 hours in and cursing a command line once again.
All the social media:
Website | Tumblr | Twitter | GoodReads

Voodooman43

• View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: November 19, 2016, 12:27:34 PM »
After more than 10 years, I'm finally getting a new gaming laptop tomorrow. So I'm going to break it in...with a little Nethack.
My man  :) To this day I have barely progressed in Nethack, as it's simply too dense of a game for me to try to figure out :(. However, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup and Cataclysm Dark Days Ahead are the shit.

trinite

• View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: November 19, 2016, 01:13:08 PM »
My man  :) To this day I have barely progressed in Nethack, as it's simply too dense of a game for me to try to figure out :(. However, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup and Cataclysm Dark Days Ahead are the shit.
My main Roguelike jam lately has been Infra Arcana. Busting out a Tommy Gun against a hallway full of Byakhee is pretty fun (until you run out of bullets!). I really wanna get Streets of Rogue soon, too.

Adam_Autist

• View Profile
    • Niche Comics
« Reply #1344 on: November 19, 2016, 08:21:23 PM »
Anyone playing Titanfall 2? I'm having a lot of fun when I actually have time to play it. Fell in love with the grappling hook.

Voodooman43

• View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: November 21, 2016, 10:23:18 PM »
My main Roguelike jam lately has been Infra Arcana. Busting out a Tommy Gun against a hallway full of Byakhee is pretty fun (until you run out of bullets!). I really wanna get Streets of Rogue soon, too.
Infra Arcana is dope, I still have yet to get past floor 5, always get taken out by a hallway of reanimated corpses.

trinite

• View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: November 21, 2016, 10:33:01 PM »
Streets of Rogue is sweet.

Twisting H

• View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: January 02, 2017, 06:00:13 PM »
Attention Tom and other fans of playing multi-limbed and multiple-headed mutants.

Welcome, to the Caves of Qud.

Caves of Qud is a post apocalyptic roguelike set in a world like Fallout but much much weirder. If you are familiar with the old school mutants and wastlanders game rpg Gamma World, it is inspired by the creators' early experiences with that TSR game.

What can you do?

By Something Awful member Angry Diplomat:

Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT PLANTS. Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT ANIMALS. Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT BUGS. Kill a bear and EAT IT, just EAT AN ENTIRE BEAR. KILL EVERYTHING. Descend into the DEPTHS OF THE WORLD and retrieve ANCIENT TECHNOLOGICAL ARTIFACTS. KNIFE-FIGHT a GIANT DRILL ROBOT and WIN. Be a COOL WASTELAND KNIGHT. Be a TWO-FISTED COWBOY. Be a HOMICIDAL NINJA TURTLE with an AXE and a SHOTGUN. SPONTANEOUSLY BURST INTO FLAMES. Get into a GUNFIGHT with a HYENA-MONSTER and accidentally anger a HERD OF MAJESTIC HULKING DEMON HORSES with your crossfire. Fly into the air like a BEAUTIFUL EAGLE and then SWORD-FIGHT a GIANT DRAGONFLY. MIND CONTROL a TWO-HEADED BOAR and MAKE IT WEAR CHAIN MAIL and KILL YOUR ENEMIES. Encounter a LEGENDARY PLANT with an INTIMIDATING SKULL MASK and the ability to THROW FIERY DEATH FROM ITS HANDS. CONTRACT HORRIFYING DISEASES. Go to THE DEATHLANDS and discover that THE DEATHLANDS are called THE DEATHLANDS because they will KILL YOU DEAD. HACK OFF A ROBOT’S HEAD AND EAT IT. Get into a SLEDGEHAMMER DUEL with a ‘ROIDED-OUT SUPERCANNIBAL. Be SO TECHNOLOGICALLY ILLITERATE that you BREAK A BOX OF CRAYONS attempting to figure out what it is. Be SO TECHNOLOGICALLY GIFTED that you can make an ACID GRENADE out of a PLASTIC TREE and a FOLDING CHAIR. Build your own FLAMETHROWER. Build your own LASER GUN. Build your own HANDHELD NUCLEAR BOMB and BLOW YOURSELF UP WITH IT. Collect MAGMA in a CANTEEN. Pour MAGMA into a pool of ACID to see what happens. DRINK MAGMA. TELEPATHICALLY LOCATE an enemy and HATE IT TO DEATH with your TERRIFYING BRAIN SORCERY. Have your LEGS CUT OFF and then REGROW YOUR LEGS and pick up your previous legs and EAT YOUR OWN LEGS. Encounter your EVIL TWIN and then summon six of your own GOOD TWINS to fight your evil twin’s SIX EVIL TWIN TWINS in a FOURTEEN-WAY PSYCHIC LASER DEATH RAVE and then BURN TO DEATH when all of the combined PYROKINETIC MIND FIRE from all of the TIME CLONES causes the ENTIRE MAP TO COMBUST AND MELT.

All of the above is literally true gameplay. 

In addition there was a patch that added fungal locations where you can get infected by fungal spores, grow your own crusty mushrooms on a random body part, and pop off said mushrooms and eat them when you get hungry.  Or use them for bio-luminescence. Or the fungal outgrowth is so crusty it functions as extra armor, and you can beat enemies into a pulp with your now mushroom-club-hands.

Yeah.

It is a great time to get into Caves of Qud because of the following patch/expansion.  Check this out.

The Sultans of Qud: Part 1

Qud is a layer cake of fallen civilizations. If you've read the Baccata Yewtarch's influential history book, "Frivolous Lives", you know that the past 1,000 years were dominated by minor humanoid kingdoms and Girsh attacks. Before that was the Age of the Eaters, when the mysterious progenitors ruled from lofty spires now buried under shale. In particular, the lives of 5 great sultans have been preserved through cultural artifacts and oral tradition.

We've introduced the first part of our Sultans of Qud feature arc.
Each game now includes a procedurally-generated history from the Age of the Eaters.
-There are 4 historical sites located throughout Qud (more to come in future patches), each one at a different degree of difficulty that corresponds to its location on the world map. Their names, descriptions, locations, contents, historical significance, and look & feel are procedurally-generated and different each game.
-Historical sites are populated by cults that worship a particular sultan. Each cult is a coalition of members from other factions, most of which favor the sultan due to some event in Qud's history. The 5 cults are different each game, and each one functions as a faction. You can view your reputation with the cults on the Reputation screen.
-Historical sites contain relics. Relics are powerful items that were generated during the course of history. Many of their properties are new effects and are based on the circumstances of their creation.
-Shrines to the former sultans are located throughout Qud. They depict significant events from the sultans' lives.
-New mods: painted and engraved. Painted and engraved items also depict events from the histories.
-Sometimes, looking at a shrine, painted item, or engraved item reveals the location of a historical site. If it does, you get a quest to visit that location.
-Sometimes, looking at a shrine, painted item, or engraved item reveals the location of a historical relic. If it does, you get a quest to recover that relic. The relic locations aren't revealed on the map; they are individual levels that exist inside some historical site.
-We added a guaranteed sultan shrine to the upper right corner of Joppa. Looking at this shrine reveals a nearby historical location that's usually appropriate, though challenging, for the early game.
-Added some new creatures, furniture, and traps for the historical sites. We'll be adding more in the coming weeks.
-A few additional notes:
--The historical dungeon maps are generated via a new method that produces tremendous variety from themed templates. They take longer to generate, and we haven't optimized the algorithm yet. We'll improve its speed in the coming weeks.
--There's a lot going on behind the scenes to generate the histories and the historical sites, and there are definitely bugs. Please report them and we'll fix them!
--We'll be adding more unique features to the various types of historical sites in the coming weeks. We'll also be adding more sites, mechanics, and a story arc that this into the main quest in Part 2. Stay tuned.

Yes that's right. Procedurally generated dungeons, world history, artifacts and factions you can interact with.

Caves of Qud is 10% off, $9 on Steam right now!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/333640/

-----

Not sure?

Check out Splattercat's youtube review and gameplay :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSNP0RK-M_Y&spfreload=5

Popular Mechanics named Caves of Qud one of their top ten games for 2015

http://www.popularmechanics.com/culture/gaming/g2339/best-rpgs-2015/

Want a guide to playing mutants or True Men?

Look no further than Something Awful's bazomatic's post right here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3739217&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=79#post467855216

LIVE AND DRINK

Twisting H

• View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: September 03, 2017, 08:16:49 PM »
http://www.kitfoxgames.com/shrouded-isle/

The Shrouded Isle

If you ever wanted a cultist-management simulator with Mafia! (the forums game) game mechanics, then The Shrouded Isle is for you.

Your Excellency, you must prepare for the awakening of our Lord. He hungers for a human sacrifice every season. Sinners try to hide their dark secrets, but all must be purged..

You have to investigate and select cult members to form your inner circle every season.  Some will be 'sinners' according to Our Lord Czernobog, some will not.  You must pick a worthy sacrifice (ie sinner) from your inner circle and hope that your sacrifice is not met with rebellion from the cultists you rely on.  Basically its a Mafia game with a balancing-reputation-bars mechanic.   It's short, so it's not for everyone.

Check out Splattercat's Lets Play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl4ZsJxvhD0

CADmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: October 22, 2017, 04:45:54 PM »
Finally created a steam account so I could get the new Ogre game: http://store.steampowered.com/app/517780/Ogre/

It's an adaptation of Steve Jackson's first game design (and my first love in wargaming), a hexmap-and-counter wargame of armoured warfare in a future where everyone has tacnukes and the battlefield is ruled by enormous, multi-gunned, AI controlled tanks.  It's a faithful adaptation of a game that's "easy to learn and hard to master", as an old review once said.

Here's some reviews:

https://techspark.co/classic-strategy-game-ogre-released-steam/

<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

I've yet to dive into multiplayer, but when I do (and maybe I'll start playing other games as well) I'm cadmonkey1973 on steam.
CADmonkey: G+; Tumblr
Yo Dawg, I Heard You Like Mecha: G+; Tumblr