Author Topic: What Vidja games are you playing?  (Read 996102 times)

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
Re: What Vidja games are you playing?
« Reply #240 on: March 11, 2011, 03:51:00 PM »
I agree with Moondog's assessments.

DAII is perfect for me for the following reasons:

1) I like the urban environment even though some of the buildings are a bit repetitive.

2) Combat is insane!

3) It's about 30 hours which is the perfect amount for me.
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Moondog

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 11, 2011, 07:20:16 PM »
'A bit' really is too generous.

There are, at most, 9 maps in the entire game, not counting Kirkwall. For example:

The cave in the Bone Pit, the cave on Sundermount, the Val-Tashoth cave, and the Slaver's Cavern are all *exactly* the same. The only difference is the location of an ugly grey stone block that blocks your way through a door in some, and not others.

It's pretty lazy, and disappointing. :v

EDIT: Also lazy and disappointing is all the little 'tricks' BioWare uses to get out of rendering people holding things - watch Hawke bend down to pick up something - anything- and you'll always notice they never actually show the object in Hawke's hand.

Also they phoned in basic cut-scenes, as in the opening drama, you can watch Aveline's bracelet clip straight through Wesley's neck, to say nothing of playing a warrior with a grandpa beard that magically phases through solid steel armor.

Also play on Casual Mode with 4 Elementalist Mages.

EVERYTHING EXPLODES INTO GIBS IN HALF A SECOND.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 08:35:18 PM by Moondog »
Currently Reading: FIGHT!: The Fighting Game RPG! (it owns)

Darksaw

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • I'm a wizard, and that looks fucked up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 16, 2011, 03:24:08 AM »
<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

If more people were like this online, I'd probably play with randoms more.

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 18, 2011, 12:16:17 AM »
I am playing Marvel vs Capcom 3 right now and despite my inability to walk in a straight line or recite my BCA's backwards and the fact that if I hold a lighter to my mouth and breathe it ignites I am a god among men stomping my enemies into the floor left and right.

Without using Sentinel's cheap metal ass.

Mckma

• Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 19, 2011, 05:23:11 PM »
Darksiders is $10 on Steam right now.  Anyone have thoughts on this?  I kind of want to play it, but $10 is just outside of impulse buy range for a game that I've heard "meh" about...

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 19, 2011, 05:29:21 PM »
Do you like Legend of Zelda? If so, get it. Darksiders is really just Legend of Zelda with grimdark paint over it.

If you go in expecting interesting or deep combat, skip it entirely, as its combat is extremely shallow (also like Legend of Zelda).

As MRatedLegendofZelda, it's a good game, and the voice acting is superb. The art direction reminds me too much of Warhammer 40K for me to say good things about it, but overall, I'd give it a 6/10. Not a bad game, but not a good, or even great game. Worth $10, though.

BenignSpy

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 19, 2011, 05:35:46 PM »
Shogun 2: Total War
Who Dares, Wins

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 19, 2011, 05:39:20 PM »
Personally, I am torn on whether or not to get Crysis 2 (comes out on the 22nd). I suck at tactical 'you are not a bulletsponge' shooters, but the story is written by one of my favorite authors, Richard K. Morgan (Altered Carbon, Broken Angels, Woken Furies), so that alone is enough to get me on the fence.

What do you think?

Darksaw

• I'm a wizard, and that looks fucked up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 19, 2011, 07:01:43 PM »
I bought Darksiders for a friend who wanted it, he said he had heard it was really great.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 07:10:53 PM by Darksaw »

ethan_dawe

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 19, 2011, 10:19:10 PM »
Left4Dead2 Playing onine versus
Neverwinter Nights

BenignSpy

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 19, 2011, 11:29:31 PM »
Personally, I am torn on whether or not to get Crysis 2 (comes out on the 22nd). I suck at tactical 'you are not a bulletsponge' shooters, but the story is written by one of my favorite authors, Richard K. Morgan (Altered Carbon, Broken Angels, Woken Furies), so that alone is enough to get me on the fence.

What do you think?

Not everything your favorite author writes is going to be gold, and the story to Crisis was weak sauce so he is going to be at a starting disadvantage. Buy one of his other books or games to support him, then read a walk-through.
Who Dares, Wins

Dom

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 20, 2011, 12:10:43 AM »
Total War: Shogun 2. It's as of now my favorite game in the series. It has the awesome new graphics and polishes of the newer games, without the emphasis on muskets. I much prefer the tactical aspect of the sword/spear/bow/cavalry over sending as many soldiers carrying muskets as possible to win by sheer volume of fire.

Also, didn't know Richard K. Morgan was writing the story for Crysis 2, he's one of my favorite sci-fi authors too. I'll probably end up getting Crysis 2 anyways, if only to make my videocard weep.

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 20, 2011, 01:05:10 AM »

What do you think?

Not everything your favorite author writes is going to be gold, and the story to Crisis was weak sauce so he is going to be at a starting disadvantage. Buy one of his other books or games to support him, then read a walk-through.

That's a good point. Think I'll use others as a guinea pig, have them tell me how it is.

Mckma

• Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 20, 2011, 01:52:46 AM »
Oh man, Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective is starting to get really good.  Really digging this game, great gameplay, great characters, superb character animation, and the story is starting to get really interesting...

Definitely would recommend it to anyone with a DS...

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 20, 2011, 02:26:51 AM »
Oh man, Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective is starting to get really good.  Really digging this game, great gameplay, great characters, superb character animation, and the story is starting to get really interesting...

Definitely would recommend it to anyone with a DS...

Agreed.

Particularly Inspector Cabanela. His animations are just too fun to watch.