Author Topic: What Vidja games are you playing?  (Read 996101 times)

Shallazar

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
Re: What Vidja games are you playing?
« Reply #450 on: October 13, 2011, 11:54:48 PM »
Gah. So I was sooo close to reactivating my EVE Online account today. Sosososo close.

That game is fun!
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

Wooberman

• I have no mouth and I must LOL
    • View Profile
    • Woober's FB
« Reply #451 on: October 14, 2011, 02:27:00 AM »
Binding of Issac, a twisted rogue-like rpg shooter I've not beaten it and yet with every defeat i thirst for more.
Worth the pennies imho

Omanyte_Jackson

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
  • On a quest for vengance
    • View Profile
Anyone tried out dark souls yet
« Reply #452 on: October 15, 2011, 08:09:37 PM »

Damn...

Just... damn...

I've never felt so much anger and joy from a single game. I'm only about 5 hours in but this game is really awesome. The best way to describe it is to take an oldschool Nintendo game like Castlevania or Megaman and mix it with Oblivion. But I'm not really good with words, so... CTRL+C

Demon's Souls is pure game, a complete and darkly fascinating vision that makes no concessions to the modern conception of how games should be. Instead, it was an exploration of how games could be; how bleak, how twisted, how focused and – most famously – how challenging. Most developers take pains to protect you from failure. FROM Software turns it into an artform.
 -Keza MacDonald, IGN

Basically the game is tough and it's not for everyone but it's definitely worth a shot. if your still curios, I recommend checking out the Escapist review(http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9171-Dark-Souls-Review) or the Giant Bomb quick look(http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-dark-souls/17-4966/) which these guys play the first hour of the game and they get a couple of surprises too.

Has anyone here played it yet?

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone tried out dark souls yet
« Reply #453 on: October 15, 2011, 08:32:00 PM »
There were a couple mentions on it in the Vidja Game thread.  I haven't personally played it, but my computer is next to the PS3 in our living room, so I've been sitting next to it being played for several hours.  Not that that says much, but whatever.  Out of curiosity did you ever play Demon Souls?

Omanyte_Jackson

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
  • On a quest for vengance
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: October 17, 2011, 07:51:38 AM »
I never got a chance to play demon's souls, but a friend of mine highly recommended it to me. from what I've heard there pretty much the same game.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: October 17, 2011, 10:36:41 AM »

I merged this with the other vidya game thread.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #456 on: October 17, 2011, 11:39:57 AM »

I merged this with the other vidya game thread.

I was so confused by this for a minute.  Oh, and Jackson, Dark Souls is the made by the same folks and is not a direct sequel, but definitely a spiritual successor...

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: October 17, 2011, 01:04:02 PM »

Damn...

Just... damn...

I've never felt so much anger and joy from a single game. I'm only about 5 hours in but this game is really awesome. The best way to describe it is to take an oldschool Nintendo game like Castlevania or Megaman and mix it with Oblivion. But I'm not really good with words, so... CTRL+C

Demon's Souls is pure game, a complete and darkly fascinating vision that makes no concessions to the modern conception of how games should be. Instead, it was an exploration of how games could be; how bleak, how twisted, how focused and – most famously – how challenging. Most developers take pains to protect you from failure. FROM Software turns it into an artform.
 -Keza MacDonald, IGN

Basically the game is tough and it's not for everyone but it's definitely worth a shot. if your still curios, I recommend checking out the Escapist review(http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9171-Dark-Souls-Review) or the Giant Bomb quick look(http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-dark-souls/17-4966/) which these guys play the first hour of the game and they get a couple of surprises too.

Yup. Played it. Just finished NG+. So beat it twice.

I'd give it about a 7. Yes it's atmospheric and oozing with blah blah blah, but the gameplay is broken on some fundamental levels; the hit detection is awful, hitboxes are so disjointed you can end up dying by being struck with empty air, characters tend to get hung up on tiny pieces of the floor, you slide down hills to your death seemingly at random, the controls can be very awkward, but most importantly?

MOST IMPORTANTLY

A lot of the 'difficulty' in the game comes from out-right bullshit. And always in the later sections of a level. For example:

After the Catacombs (which is full of skeletons that don't drop souls, which makes them completely unrewarding to fight, also they're immortal unless you somehow know to be carrying a Divine Weapon with you() which isn't that bad of a section, you come to the Tomb of Giants. This is a completely unlit series of ledges and corridors full of hills.

Now, I've previously mentioned that sometimes your character will just slide off a hill and die. Did I mention this section is unlit?

So say you don't succumb to bad physics. Unless you're straining your eyes to see and walking with a shield up, you'll be jump-attack ambushed by a giant skeleton, which will probably knock off half to 3/4 of your health, depending on your equipment and stats.

That's not the big issue though. Every attack the big skeletons have? Even when blocked, they do knockback. Now, remember when I said this takes place on an unlit bunch of ledges? Even if you're blocking, there's a good chance you'll die just because of the knock-back.

*every* enemy in that section of the game focuses on knock-back. You can't afford to roll out of the way because you can't see the ledges. This is what I mean by 'bullshit'.

also some of the boss fights. A reasonably challenging boss is fought. . .IN A FIELD OF LAVA. Now if you don't have the ring the boss drops, lava deals about 15% of your health per second.

So the arena is actually more dangerous than the boss. And guess what? Our old buddy cheap knock-back attacks is right back! You're more likely to die from being knocked into lava than from the boss.

There's also a boss fight that is two bosses at once, and when you kill one boss, the other one goes super-saiyan, restores all its health, and tries to kill you.

And then there's the boss fight that is 4 at once. If your character isn't built to pump out shit-loads of damage and doesn't have a very high poise (hit stun resistance, basically), you *can't* win, because the only way to get through the fight is to kill one before the next spawns, otherwise you'll just end up nailed by unblockable player-seeking magic.

There's a lotta bullshit in Dark Souls, stuff that was not present in Demon's Souls, which I really do consider to be a superior game.

Other downsides: the frame-rate chugs like a frat house at keg night in certain sections (Blight Town, any time there's a ladder), the ending is the worst thing I've ever seen, compared to the bullshit you had to get through to get there).

On the plus notes: The sections that don't rely on bullshit are excellent, enemy design is incredible, stages are laid out well and very pretty, the lore is amazing, and I'd like to see more of it in-game. Also, the music is great. Even if Sakuraba is a hack.
Currently Reading: FIGHT!: The Fighting Game RPG! (it owns)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #458 on: October 17, 2011, 02:00:36 PM »
you all do realize that dark souls and demon souls are just watered down roguelikes? If you want a real challenge play Dungeon Crawl http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/downloads

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #459 on: October 17, 2011, 03:31:58 PM »
you all do realize that dark souls and demon souls are just watered down roguelikes? If you want a real challenge play Dungeon Crawl http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/downloads

Dungeon Crawl is most fun.  Although I never was dedicated/good enough to really get very far/really figure it out.  It's on my list of games to give another try though...

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: October 17, 2011, 07:20:15 PM »

u trollan

Also I beat nethack. What now.

also also Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are just Kings Field.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: October 17, 2011, 09:12:04 PM »

u trollan

Also I beat nethack. What now.

also also Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are just Kings Field.

Have you beat the DoomRL?
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: October 18, 2011, 01:31:43 AM »
Nope.

malyss

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Gimme some sugar baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: October 21, 2011, 02:08:24 PM »
Rocksmith. Real guitar plus xbox... I'm a fan.

Dom

• View Profile
« Reply #464 on: October 21, 2011, 08:45:32 PM »
Imagine if a videogame developer decided to take Left 4 Dead 2's gameplay, and merge it with HEAT and the bank-robbing scene in "The Dark Knight". That's Payday : The Heist in a nutshell.

And it's amazing.