Author Topic: What Vidja games are you playing?  (Read 996172 times)

Snake-Eyes

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • Illusive Comics & Games
Re: What Vidja games are you playing?
« Reply #870 on: February 12, 2013, 10:50:30 PM »
Ross I know you were looking forward to the new Aliens game and I don't know how much you follow reviews but this one doesn't bode well for the game. http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/12/aliens-colonial-marines-360ps3-review
You've been sucked out of the airlock into the black. Roll all the dice on the table for damage.

QuickreleasePersonalitY

• if you see your self on the road, kill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: February 12, 2013, 11:23:41 PM »
^^^ heard aboot that

that it is finally revealed that the Aliens are really just burn-victim furries (who like hugging and pouncing) who also had Asperger's and their troubles with living in a cold and meaningless universe...
pretentious i am
lest pretentious i become

QuickreleasePersonalitY

• if you see your self on the road, kill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: February 12, 2013, 11:35:57 PM »
_a bevvy of stuff for a magpie mind_

Primordia -- gorgeous sounds, good writin', a radio-play sensibility (i really enjoy this author's works -- and he isn't afraid to fail/experiment it seems http://www.wadjeteyegames.com/)

http://www.gametrekking.com/ has some fun 'games' on it -- The Killer is my current favourite.  the author travels to other countries, writes aboot them, and maybe composes a 'game' around the country...

Quake -- still so relaxin after all these years...some lovely Lovecraft surfing...

Spelunky -- still endless procedurally generated fun for the whole family...

Knytt Stories -- gives just the right amount of information, letting my imagination fill in the rest.  the stories that other people have created range from the super silly to the insanely puzzle-ridden :3

and so it goes...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 03:36:44 AM by QuickreleasePersonalitY »
pretentious i am
lest pretentious i become

CommissarKip

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
  • Weedlord Bonerhitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: February 13, 2013, 08:44:58 AM »
Ross I know you were looking forward to the new Aliens game and I don't know how much you follow reviews but this one doesn't bode well for the game. http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/12/aliens-colonial-marines-360ps3-review
Yeah Ross, I've got to disappoint you. I don't know if you've already played it (see how I went through a temporal shift there?) but it didn't really tickle my fancy.

It's sad to see how they manage to do something stupid with these IPs. I mean, you would say they'd have learnt by now?!

Still, if you want to play multiplayer or co-op I'll be your man. It's not as bad if played co-op. 

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: February 13, 2013, 11:31:08 AM »
I was hoping it would be good, since Alien Vs. Predator (1, and 2 VIDEO GAMES only) we're awesome.

Multiplayer mode with Alien Lifecycle was too fun. All the aliens spawn as face huggers and have to get the drop on someone. Then they pop out and have a small chance to become a queen.

Predators have awesome stealth and sniper weapons and the humans had smart guns for all the spray and pray.

I kinda wanna find my old copies now, so fun.

Predaliens are scary. Cause one of my first ever Oh SHIT moments in video games.

Walking down a hallway. Hear something in the ducts above me... Stop for a second. Keep Walking.

Keep checking behind me. Get about halfway down the hall and a Predalien drops in from the duct. I scream OH SHIT over and over again while backing up and unloading a pistol clip into it.

I ran out of ammo, went man mode and stabbed it once and it died.

So fun.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

CommissarKip

• Weedlord Bonerhitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: February 13, 2013, 11:54:38 AM »
I was hoping it would be good, since Alien Vs. Predator (1, and 2 VIDEO GAMES only) we're awesome.

Multiplayer mode with Alien Lifecycle was too fun. All the aliens spawn as face huggers and have to get the drop on someone. Then they pop out and have a small chance to become a queen.

Predators have awesome stealth and sniper weapons and the humans had smart guns for all the spray and pray.

I kinda wanna find my old copies now, so fun.

Predaliens are scary. Cause one of my first ever Oh SHIT moments in video games.

Walking down a hallway. Hear something in the ducts above me... Stop for a second. Keep Walking.

Keep checking behind me. Get about halfway down the hall and a Predalien drops in from the duct. I scream OH SHIT over and over again while backing up and unloading a pistol clip into it.

I ran out of ammo, went man mode and stabbed it once and it died.

So fun.
I totally agree! It was so awesome.

AvP 2 was also very enjoyable - but this new game is terrible beyond worlds. Besides sloppy animations, UT era textures and idiotic AI it just felt like I was playing a $5 bargain breaker game. Far Cry 3 and even the new Black Ops are light-years ahead of this game. I have no idea why management decided that this game was fit for release (actually I do, it's just trying to break even).

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #876 on: February 13, 2013, 01:28:22 PM »
welp, I think I'll give the new Aliens game a pass then - gonna focus on doing a LP of Dead Space 3 co-op campaign with Caleb.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #877 on: February 13, 2013, 06:01:59 PM »
Sardonic commentary on the nature of space-zombies and industrial tools? I will have to watch this.

Review Cultist

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: February 13, 2013, 06:08:48 PM »
Indeed! :D
Liquid Water?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #879 on: February 13, 2013, 06:14:30 PM »
yeah I just have to get my Roxio game capture HD device in the mail, set it up, try it out, get xbox live and dead space 3 and then we're good to go.

CommissarKip

• Weedlord Bonerhitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: February 14, 2013, 04:05:48 AM »
I got my hands on dead space 3 for the pc. To be entirely honest I must confess I only played part of 1 and didn't play 2 at all. But right now this thing feels terribly like Eclipse Phase - loving it so far.

EDIT: This game is scary. Seriously scary.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 04:51:51 AM by CommissarKip »

Dom

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: February 14, 2013, 03:11:36 PM »
Playing Dead Space 3 for my 360, it's a damn good action game. The thing is that too many people wanted for it to be a horror game like Dead Space 1, which it definitely is not.

If you approach the game looking to have fun with solid mechanics and a great gameplay, then this game will be just about perfect. If you are looking to get your pants scared off of you, then this is the wrong place to look.

Review Cultist

• View Profile
« Reply #882 on: February 14, 2013, 03:22:19 PM »
I like to think of it as a "John Carpenter" style game. There is a horror theme, but its heavy on action. Definitely felt like "The Thing in Space" to me.
Liquid Water?

metalwhisper

• View Profile
« Reply #883 on: February 16, 2013, 10:26:58 AM »
In regards to Aliens: Colonial Marines...
No, it's not the best game ever. Yes, many aspects of it are disappointing, especially since I had high hopes for the game, being that I'm such an Aliens fan.
However, I don't believe it's anywhere near as bad as it is being made out to be. I know the trolls are in a feeding frenzy over the game, but I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit. Really, I'm having fun with it. What I'm most disappointed in is that they didn't have many cooperative multiplayer modes. Hopefully those will come with future DLCs, but it really should have been the primary focus of the game instead of the versus modes they have, which I don't think are too fun at all.
But anyhows, while I can't recommend it whole heartily at the current price, I think it's worth considering if the price comes down, and a lot, during a steam sale or something.
Speaking of a cooperative game that is awesome, though is Syndicate from EA, which I also got recently. While I was leery at first, since I loved the original back in the early 90's and they made this a shooter instead of an isometric strategy game, I gotta say it's pretty great, IMHO, especially the coop mode. Only problem is that not many people are playing it, unfortunately, so that finding other players isn't always easy on the servers. Also, it's not on Steam since EA is fascist.
But, they do make some great games. I got Mass Effect 3 as well. Haven't played it yet, but I'm looking forward to the multiplayer coop on that also.
Really, I loves coop shooters. Wish there were more.

Dawnsteel

• Dispensing indiscriminate justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: February 17, 2013, 07:31:38 PM »
Playing Gravity Rush. I know it's been mentioned in this thread before, but jumping twenty feet into the sky, and then gravity-kicking a monster in the face? Totally awesome.

Also I got Spec Ops: The Line for about $3.50 during the Steam holiday sale, and I started it Friday. I don't normally play military shooters, but this one has its hooks in.
I didn't come here to win. I came to make friends.