Author Topic: What Vidja games are you playing?  (Read 996240 times)

Tim

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Re: What Vidja games are you playing?
« Reply #960 on: June 18, 2013, 06:51:06 PM »
I am liking The Last of Us but it is very much on rails. The main issue I have is that I wish it was a bit more of a stealth game but you end up murdering so many dudes. They do a good job of keeping you right on the edge of running out of supplies (although that might be because I am a terrible shot in these games). Similar to Uncharted the game experience is more akin to watching a movie then playing a game although instead of doing a Indiana Jones-ish game as Uncharted is this is closer to the Walking Dead.

There is not a lot of new things to the story (the 'zombie agent is fungal based' which is sort of newish and the Clickers are interesting) but they do manage to pull most things off well. Some horrific elements that are well done but most of the really nasty stuff is people being nasty to people.

It is also pretty and the sound design is good.

I would not say it was fantastic (the last really fantastic game I personally played was Red Dead Redemption) but solid and well done.

robotkarateman

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Mulsk!
    • View Profile
    • AARG roleplaying system
« Reply #961 on: June 18, 2013, 08:38:19 PM »
I am liking The Last of Us but it is very much on rails. The main issue I have is that I wish it was a bit more of a stealth game but you end up murdering so many dudes.

I finished it last night. Great game, but it had its flaws.

My chief complaint is that you have to play the way they want you to play - either stealth kill everybody, or run in guns blazing. A couple of scenes I got tactical on, like the book store, and got my ass handed to me because bad guys just kept spawning no matter how many I killed until I moved into the next area of the map.

If (number of bad guys) < (infinity), and I find a tactical spot to sit and pick them off, I should be able to clear all the reachable bad guys. Spawning more is just cheating.
GENERALA, my free dungeon-crawling RPG, is now available! And it's free!

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #963 on: June 23, 2013, 01:12:18 PM »
Hotline Miami 2 better have a level editor

Dom

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: June 23, 2013, 02:01:45 PM »

Joven

• View Profile
« Reply #965 on: June 26, 2013, 11:20:02 AM »
Playing Deadpool, and aside from a few frustrating parts (like why when sliding down a sewer pipe is hitting 2 grates in the tunnel a game over, when after the end of that scene he just gets blown up and his head is all thats left...and hes Deadpool so its fine?), and its lousy checkpoint placement, I'm really enjoying it.
Kinda reminds me of Eat Lead: Return of Matt Hazard in that its aware its a game and uses that to suddenly change to a 2d game or replace a cutscene with puppets to save money, etc.

Also just got Zero Escape free from PS+, so I may play that afterwards.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 11:22:19 AM by Joven »

Mckma

• Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: June 26, 2013, 02:34:31 PM »
Rift has been pretty fun if only because I have roommates who are playing it at the same time....

Dom

• View Profile
« Reply #967 on: June 26, 2013, 07:28:57 PM »
Also just got Zero Escape free from PS+, so I may play that afterwards.

Zero Escape was a great game, I'm glad PS+ is allowing more people to give it a try. I basically spent an entire week where, when I wasn't playing the game obsessively, I was constantly churning in my head the puzzles and how the different story elements fit together. Yes, the game was that gripping.

The game is sort of a sequel to 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors. You don't really need to play 999, since Zero Escape stands very well by itself, but if you want to get the story yet don't own a DS or the game, you can try this Something Awful Let's Play that was recently completed.

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: June 26, 2013, 08:01:30 PM »
DLC Quest is currently 1.50 and thats awesome because I've been wanting to try it for a while now.

So anyone else who's been putting it off... Sale Ends in 17 hours!
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Dom

• View Profile
« Reply #969 on: June 27, 2013, 04:20:37 PM »
Hotline Miami 2 better have a level editor

Looks like they will try and add a level editor.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/06/19/hotline-miami-2-multiplayer-no-map-editor-hopefully/

Here's the Hotline Miami Launch Trailer for the PS Vita.

<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

Here's a wallpaper.

http://i.imgur.com/HfLuszJ.jpg

And also: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8109/8539598891_638c774005_o.jpg
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 04:25:55 PM by Dom »

Joven

• View Profile
« Reply #970 on: June 28, 2013, 11:08:15 AM »
The game is sort of a sequel to 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors. You don't really need to play 999, since Zero Escape stands very well by itself, but if you want to get the story yet don't own a DS or the game, you can try this Something Awful Let's Play that was recently completed.

Is that LP mirrored anywhere else? I dont have a SA account, and I tried searching a bit and couldn't find it on youtube or lparchive. If not, then the guy who did the Deadly Premonitions LP did one of it I could watch (although its his first run through, unlike other stuff he played through a couple times before, but I also just got done watching his Spy Fiction LP, so I'm kinda getting used to him as the guy who plays other games for me.)

Dom

• View Profile
« Reply #971 on: June 28, 2013, 01:01:09 PM »

Is that LP mirrored anywhere else? I dont have a SA account, and I tried searching a bit and couldn't find it on youtube or lparchive. If not, then the guy who did the Deadly Premonitions LP did one of it I could watch (although its his first run through, unlike other stuff he played through a couple times before, but I also just got done watching his Spy Fiction LP, so I'm kinda getting used to him as the guy who plays other games for me.)

From what I've gathered in the thread, the author is in the process of converting it over for lparchive, but it's still not up.

I suppose an LP by supergreatfriend is always acceptable, though from what I can see that might be 20 hours worth of LP. D: I think this is the sort of game that lends itself much better to an image+text LP than a video LP for the most part, with the exception of cutscenes and some of the OST.

SageNytell

• We're the Tusken Sound Raiders... start the rave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: June 29, 2013, 10:28:16 PM »

From experience, an SA account is absolutely worth the :10bux:. They have the awesome LP forum, and they also have a kickass traditional gaming forum that is absolutely full of cool RPG stuff.
Plus you have access to all the other forums.

I need to get around to watching 999, Slowbeef was talking it up a ton on his podcast a few months ago.

Joven

• View Profile
« Reply #973 on: July 02, 2013, 01:10:26 PM »
Finally getting around to playing Psychonauts, only had it for like a year from getting it from the humble bundle, plus a copy I had for years before I never played because it didn't support gamepads...A few moments of annoyingness brought on by its adventure game roots, but overall really good.

And watching the Supergreatfriend playthrough of 999 before I try Zero Escape...and holy crap its full of crazy, and stupid. "We're all gonna die on 9 hours! Quick, we have to hurry and escape, maybe, I mean no rush or anything, but whenever we get around to it...lets just take a break and I'll explain to you how Princess Diana is a time travelling lizard person who got mummified in ancient Russia and was unleashed by the tunguska explosion and stowed away on the Titanic which was really its sister ship, but it was cursed and she sabotaged it to collect insurance money to pay for the space ship she used to collect magic ice from Mars to psychically meld with Earths water and convince it to turn to steam and cook the planets vegetables all at once to feed Galactus' pet dinosaurs. It'll only take 3 hours, then I can turn floor over to Q&A, then we can escape if we feel like it."

Mckma

• Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: July 02, 2013, 02:01:12 PM »
Finally getting around to playing Psychonauts, only had it for like a year from getting it from the humble bundle, plus a copy I had for years before I never played because it didn't support gamepads...A few moments of annoyingness brought on by its adventure game roots, but overall really good.

And watching the Supergreatfriend playthrough of 999 before I try Zero Escape...and holy crap its full of crazy, and stupid. "We're all gonna die on 9 hours! Quick, we have to hurry and escape, maybe, I mean no rush or anything, but whenever we get around to it...lets just take a break and I'll explain to you how Princess Diana is a time travelling lizard person who got mummified in ancient Russia and was unleashed by the tunguska explosion and stowed away on the Titanic which was really its sister ship, but it was cursed and she sabotaged it to collect insurance money to pay for the space ship she used to collect magic ice from Mars to psychically meld with Earths water and convince it to turn to steam and cook the planets vegetables all at once to feed Galactus' pet dinosaurs. It'll only take 3 hours, then I can turn floor over to Q&A, then we can escape if we feel like it."

Yeah, I thought the story was a bit out there when I played it.  I was also a bit disappointed that even though it looked a lot like a "Choose your own adventure," it seemed to really just be a permutation of choose 4 or so sections out of about 8 or so total....