Author Topic: What Vidja games are you playing?  (Read 996196 times)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: What Vidja games are you playing?
« Reply #1035 on: January 05, 2014, 02:30:02 PM »
Be sure to get all of Stanley Parable's endings - there are like 10 of them at least.

Plus, the demo has different content than the game itself.

Dom

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: January 05, 2014, 05:01:59 PM »
I also got Crusader Kings II (the one exception to my indie purchases) but I just haven't been able to get into it, unfortunately.

About Crusader Kings II.. the best way to learn how to play it is to read/watch some LPs of it, to understand the mechanics, ways to play it, and the interface.

I'd suggest this Something Awful LP or this PC Gamer LP. There's also quite a few Youtube let's Play, though I don't have a link handy.

Just imagine that you are playing a ruler during the medieval age. Your goals are to foster a good heir, expand your dynasty, claim more lands, increase your King's opinion of you, and perhaps even become a King or Emperor yourself. How you do these things will vary from player to player, but it almost always makes for a truly epic story of love, war, intrigue,  betrayal, and politics.

Oh, and there's also this:

<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 05:17:12 PM by Dom »

TheStrangerInTheFog

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: January 05, 2014, 08:20:27 PM »
Just imagine that you are playing a ruler during the medieval age. Your goals are to foster a good heir, expand your dynasty, claim more lands, increase your King's opinion of you, and perhaps even become a King or Emperor yourself. How you do these things will vary from player to player, but it almost always makes for a truly epic story of love, war, intrigue,  betrayal, and politics.

I've found that the best way to play CKII is to roleplay it. If you pour a lot of yourself into a character, you'll enjoy the game all the more.

My friend was playing as some minor King in Dark Ages Britain, and he got the rare-ish Joan of Arc event, whereby a young woman is born in your lands with INSANE marshal and piety skills, and joins your court. My buddy had his character marry this girl, even though one of her traits was 'celibacy'. When I pointed out that they wouldn't be able to have kids, and that his throne would fall to his estranged brother on his death, he was like "but it's what my guy would do".

They spread their pagan religion across the southern half of Britain, and died within a couple days of one-another during a plague epidemic. His world never saw their like again.

BishopSansPants

• View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: January 06, 2014, 08:07:41 PM »
Huh, great advice. I'll have to play it with that in mind.

Thanks for the links!

Kamen

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: January 06, 2014, 10:02:33 PM »
I've switching between Payday 2, Metal Gear Rising, Borderlands 2, and my recently acquired copy of Steel Battalion with huge-ass controller! I also got Chivalry during the winter Steam Sale 'cause of Battle Bros, but I haven't gotten too into it yet.

Review Cultist

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: January 08, 2014, 10:06:35 PM »
Got "Magrunner: Dark Pulse" after listening to the latest episode. Was playing through it, and kind of not liking the aesthetics of the test chambers (They seemed really tacky), that is until shit hits the fan! Still playing through it, it was worth the 10 bucks from Xbox live.
Liquid Water?

CommissarKip

• Weedlord Bonerhitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: January 10, 2014, 06:26:13 AM »
Payday 2 with some of the guys from my tabletop gaming group. This is such an awesome game.

Who else has it? We could do a RPPR bank robbery.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #1042 on: January 10, 2014, 11:08:19 AM »
I do. Like it alot. I alternate with my Skype group. One Friday we play Payday 2 the next we do Shadowrun. It works well.

BishopSansPants

• View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: January 12, 2014, 08:01:06 PM »
I also have it, but I haven't really touched it.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #1044 on: January 13, 2014, 12:35:20 AM »
Well that's three of us. If we get a fourth we could totally do a full team run.

Thorn

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: January 17, 2014, 11:31:04 PM »
While I can't play this at the moment, I'm excited about the 20th anniversary release of Gabriel Knight. I think it is due out sometime this year. The last time I played that was in the mid 90s.

On a somewhat related note, apparently Frogware will be releasing a Call of Cthulhu  game. Frogware is the same group that released the Sherlock Holmes point/click adventures like  The Awakening (which has everything to do with Cthulhu and nothing to do with Kate Chopin) and Sherlock Holmes vs. Jack The Ripper.

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: January 20, 2014, 03:27:06 PM »
While I can't play this at the moment, I'm excited about the 20th anniversary release of Gabriel Knight. I think it is due out sometime this year. The last time I played that was in the mid 90s.

I had this argument with a few people when Final Fantasy 7 Came out on steam. Don't get me wrong yes the game is amazing but for fuck sake come on give us an HD remake of it, at least tone it up some don't just release the same stuff that I could play in front of my tv with an old console. Look, I love playing old games, but if I'm gonna be playing it on my PC that runs games that look simply amazing, I don't want to use graphics from 15+ years ago, Even games that focus on that as an art style at least they up it to make it look good. A company like square who re-released HD versions of Final Fantasy 1-6 on the DS should know to up the way a game from 15 years ago should look!

I personally don't eve know what Gabriel Knight is, so I'm sorry to call out a game you love, and maybe it is in an HD remake, I'm just upset that Square is lazy and other company's too. lol.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #1047 on: January 20, 2014, 04:42:10 PM »
Playing alot of new old stuff. Metal Gear Revengence at the moment but I've got SpecOps: The Line ready to go next.

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: January 21, 2014, 11:51:26 AM »

I had this argument with a few people when Final Fantasy 7 Came out on steam. Don't get me wrong yes the game is amazing but for fuck sake come on give us an HD remake of it, at least tone it up some don't just release the same stuff that I could play in front of my tv with an old console. Look, I love playing old games, but if I'm gonna be playing it on my PC that runs games that look simply amazing, I don't want to use graphics from 15+ years ago, Even games that focus on that as an art style at least they up it to make it look good. A company like square who re-released HD versions of Final Fantasy 1-6 on the DS should know to up the way a game from 15 years ago should look!

I personally don't eve know what Gabriel Knight is, so I'm sorry to call out a game you love, and maybe it is in an HD remake, I'm just upset that Square is lazy and other company's too. lol.

Friend of mine shares your sentiment.

As do I. They could completely remake all the Final Fantasy games in current graphical godliness and as my buddy says "They'd basically have a license to print money".

I can't imagine the kind of money a FF VI or VII remake would bring in, and playing FFVIII in a graphical style that is better than even the cinematics of the original would make me very happy.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Snake-Eyes

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • Illusive Comics & Games
« Reply #1049 on: January 21, 2014, 05:27:32 PM »
Here is my take with the whole FF7/8 remakes. The FF7 and 8 that just came out on steam are not recent remakes, but the digital re-releases of the pc versions that came out over 10 years ago. That's why you can see some small graphical changes here and there but overall it's still the same. It's true that if they remade them for HD, Square would make money hand over foot but I can understand why they haven't yet. It wouldn't be just a small overhaul of the graphics but they would almost have to start from scratch. Since the gap in time and technology is so great from when they first came out to now.
You've been sucked out of the airlock into the black. Roll all the dice on the table for damage.