RPPR Episode 41: The Smoking d20

February 16, 2010

Zombies of the World: a web series from RPPR co-host Ross Payton. Visit the Zombies of the World website and tell your friends about it!

The Codex of War: A New World Campaign PDF ransom is up! Donate now to make sure we meet the goal!

Synopsis: Running a mystery based game is far different than an action based game. Tom has realized this after running several Call of Cthulhu games so we decided that talking about the differences in structure from an action to an investigative game would be a good topic for the show. We go over how to prepare a mystery game, what you should read to learn more about them and how to run them. If you want to see how I run a mystery that I created myself, check out the AP I just posted, The Arcadia Signal.  Instead of a letter from Tom (since he is too busy playing Mass Effect 2 to write one), I read an excerpt from the utterly hilarious novel, How I became a Famous Novelist by Steve Hely.

Shout outs below the fold.

Shout outs:

Music: Re: Your Brains by Jonathan Coulton.

Tags: , , , ,

6 Responses to RPPR Episode 41: The Smoking d20

1. Charlie72 on February 17, 2010 at 9:36 am

Sleande man and Sephiroth Goku The Stampede! That game was goony has hell.

2. Tadanori Oyama on February 22, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Tom watches Ross sleep. There may have been other information in this episode but I can’t recall it.

3. Arthur on February 22, 2010 at 11:31 pm

I’m still peeing my pants waiting for THE TOM’S ACTION GAME!!!!

But man, kinda great episode, about stuff.

4. Victor on February 24, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Thanks for the fake-out. I thought I had a call when this episode started. I was listening to the show on my phone and I have Re: Your Brains as a ringtone.

By the way, great episode. I liked the analysis approach to how Tom’s game could have been a better mystery adventure. You two have some good tips for GMs.

5. Patrick on February 25, 2010 at 4:47 pm

“Juuuuuuuuuuuudy don’t forget your sandwiches!”

Good episode.

I think it’s funny that Aaron built Ross’ computer. Core i5, nice! I just put together a core i7 rig last weekend….

I think playing a D&D game from a purely investigative perspective might be a good way to mix it up a bit. Honestly, I think that the New World Campaign is a great example of mixing up strong elements of mystery/investigative genre.

Looking forward to the next episode!

PS: You’re welcome Ross…

6. Mike on February 25, 2010 at 11:43 pm

I have to second that shout out for SOMAFM. They have many great channels. Drone Zone is a favorite of mine for working or reading and Doomed is awesome background for Cthulhu games. Rusty deserves a lot of credit for keeping all the playlists fresh and enjoyable.