Halloween is right around the corner so we are once again talking about running terrifying games. RPGs can’t really provide shocks like film or TV, but it’s still possible to run a truly scary game by keeping a few principles in mind. Specifically, a GM should focus on presenting ambigious information, giving players some but not total control and characterizing NPCs and monsters well. Tom finally has a letter and some shout outs and a reader letter.
- Night of the Hunter: A brilliant and terrifying film blending film noir and fairy tales. Robert Mitchum’s preacher is legendary as the villain.
- Virus: A 1980 Japanese post apocalyptic sci-fi film. Sonny Chiba’s in it! Hard to find though.
- Four Dragons: A new Stargate novel written by Diana Botsford.
- Smother Brothers’ Comedy Hour: Comedy in an era of censorship. Funny stuff.
- Salvage: A British horror film with great acting and very gameable material.
- Ghost Stories: a horror-comedy anime series.