RPPR Episode 51: Info Dump

Synopsis: In fiction, revealing too much information right away is a sign of bad storytelling. In role playing games, it’s often essential for a good session. Game masters have to realize that what they think the players should know is often not enough for the players to actually understand what’s going on. We discuss the importance of information and how to make sure that everyone know what’s going on. Tom has a letter and we have shout outs and an anecdote.

Shout outs

Forum Shout outs

Music: The Information Age by Anthony Fiaumano

Liked it? Take a second to support Ross on Patreon!

7 comments for “RPPR Episode 51: Info Dump

1. Jonnygadfly
    November 23, 2010 at 8:51 am

Great episode. I’ve been running games for 26 years and RPPR still helps my games get that much better.

2. beowuuf
    November 23, 2010 at 3:47 pm

I smiled greastly at the shout-out to Poice Squad. 🙂

3. random gui
    November 23, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Any chance of getting this year’s GenCon Adam Scott Glancy game in the AP’s soon?

4. November 27, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Yay Tom’s letter!

5. Patrick
    November 29, 2010 at 1:46 pm

The episodes just keep getting better and better.

I feel like Tom and Ross have really hit their stride. The last few episodes have been very high quality and thinking back on some of the earlier efforts I’m very impressed with how far you guys have come in such a short time. The both of you are one step closer to being “internet famous”!

I wish I felt better about participating more on the forums, but sometimes I feel like many of the posts on the forums are inside jokes between the hardcore RPPR “fanboys”, moderators and RPPR members and sometimes I feel a bit self conscious about interjecting my opinions/bullshit.

The advice in this episode was really helpful because lately I’ve struggled with how I want to run this Deadlands scenario I’m currently writing. Ross, your advice about thinking from the player’s persepective is great, because the creative processes involved in writing a scenario can blind a GM to the creative processes involved in playing that scenario and the resolving the conflicts therein. Often, what I think is “cool” as writer and GM, may seem vague or uncertain to my players. What I took away from your advice is that game mastering is an acquired skill and takes practice.

Anyway, great episode fellas.

Loved your letter Tom. Keep up with the bile and vitriol.

Can’t wait for the next installment…

P.S. Tom, it’s funny that your mentioned Leslie Nielson… On second thought, is it funny or.. a… coincidence??!!

6. Micah
    December 1, 2010 at 3:40 pm

You guys need a third person. And you need to edit the show. I like the content but the rambling and stammering are aggravating.

7. Scott
    December 6, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Did I really just hear Ross say “That’s you that is” quoting History Today? You are in danger of proving that Americans are aware of countries and cultures other than your own. Beware!

Scott

P.S. Don’t listen to Micah. The format is great and I always enjoy the show.