RPPR Episode 56: But the Railroading’s on Time

RPPR News: We have a mirror of all of our episodes on archive.org. Catch up with our older episodes or send the link to a friend to introduce them to us.  I’ve also updated the Zombies of the World blog going behind the scenes on how I created it.

Synopsis: Running a game in a timely manner is a daunting task. Many convention games fail to finish in 4 hours and a lot of players think that 6-12 hours for a single session is normal. We here at RPPR get shit done and want to help you also get shit done. How can you keep a game running without wasting a lot of time? Tom has a letter, shout outs and an anecdote from Tom’s latest Call of Cthulhu game.

Shout outs:

Music: Airbrushed by Anamaguchi

Liked it? Take a second to support Ross on Patreon!

6 comments for “RPPR Episode 56: But the Railroading’s on Time

1. Charlei72
    April 16, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Tom should check out IL-2 Sturmovik. It has customizable missions and realness settings.

2. April 17, 2011 at 8:41 am

Enjoyed the episode. I haven’t really had problems running a game in 2-4hours ever since I started recording. I only had a 4gb card to begin with so anything over 3 hours is lost. I’d agree with most everything and add that the GM has got to make concessions if things are not looking good time-wise. In our monsters game if we played through every fight that our GM had set up the game would have been over 8 hours long, but luckily he saw how much trouble we had getting through just one fight and cut out about five of them just so we could finish on time.

Having a deadline definitely helps focus the game play. Like trying to beat metal gear solid in 3 hours, can’t watch those cutscenes and you have to avoid bullshittery.

And thanks for the letter!

3. Micah
    April 18, 2011 at 12:54 pm

HEY! Great episode. To meta a bit, the pacing of the episode mirrored the topic. Jumped right in, it seemed you were prepared, and subjects moved right along. My group almost always uses multiple sessions get a story completed. Then again our social contract isn’t there so there’s a lot of time spent on player buy-in.

4. Patrick
    April 20, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Great episode, good advice…

Divine Fire III sounds fucking epic!

5. April 20, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Yeah for Arkham Horror! It’s my favorite Lovecraftian game.

6. ThorDiantral
    April 27, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Fucking winballs on the intro