RPPR Episode 85: We Three Games

News: Check out Caleb and I shooting up (space) zombies in Dead Space 3! Be sure to subscribe to Raillery’s Youtube channel for all the latest from us. Base Raiders is progressing nicely but it was slowed down a bit so I could contribute to Eclipse Phase’s newest book – Transhuman. There’s an open playtest for some of the material right now – read it and give them your feedback. And of course, the Know Evil Fan Creation Contest is still ongoing!

Synopsis: Tom, special guest Caleb, and I each came up with 3 ideas for standalone RPGs and pitch them to each other. From mythos warlords and gods the weird west and beyond, we talk about games about making movies, fighting magic with technology, and life inside video games. If you like the ideas or hate them, let us know in the comments!

Shout Outs

Song: Behemoth by Godspeed You Black Emperor!

Liked it? Take a second to support Ross on Patreon!

11 comments for “RPPR Episode 85: We Three Games

1. Review Cultist
    April 10, 2013 at 10:47 pm

I believe you do play World of Darkness sir, I have a preview AP on Ipod that has you in it. XD

2. Kemlin Dragos
    April 11, 2013 at 10:36 am

Caleb’s idea about the game where you play in two different time periods immediately made me think how cool that would be to play in Monte Cook’s new Numenera system. With 8 worlds gone by and the ninth peppered with the ruins and technology left from them, the possibilities are endless.

3. Hooligantuesday
    April 11, 2013 at 1:55 pm

I’m suprised that none of the guys thought for the obvious solution for the murderous film crew.

The group is a Mafia family using the films production as a front, then you’ve got to have mechanics for balancing presenting the front of a legitimate film production and trying to produce a genuinely good movie, against the fact that you’re actually a group of Mafia strong men with no experience in film who’re constantly threatening people and using the film as a money laundering operation.

4. April 11, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Several of these sound like really fun games to play. I especially like Ross’s third game. I think I like Caleb’s second one but the details have suddenly left my mind.

5. RGallius
    April 11, 2013 at 9:34 pm

So, are you guys going to try fleshing out some of those ideas to actually run as one shots?

6. Journ-O-LST-3
    April 11, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Lies, I’ve heard Calib play World of Darkness. It was pretty good, I hope there is more of the Derek Bishop Files.

7. Guycep
    April 12, 2013 at 12:01 am

Ross, your videogame-based game reminds me a lot of Kid Radd, an old sprite comic. Specifically the way different ‘classes’ are related to game entities – invincible shopkeepers, respawning minions, etc.

8. Kidd Wikkid
    April 12, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman released a series of books called Darksword Trilogy that went along the lines of Tom’s second game… technology is ‘evil’ and all. I believe they might have had a game system for it as well, but I can’t remember for sure… it was 20 years ago!

9. Fridrik
    April 15, 2013 at 12:26 pm

GURPS Banestorm also has elements of the underground tech game.

10. Timtombimbomb
    April 20, 2013 at 12:32 pm

I love Caleb’s Western game, and I would play the shit out of it. Please, please, please pursue it, because I, too, have been disappointed with the current crop of Western games, and I’d really like to play/run a good Western.

11. Snake-Eyes
    April 21, 2013 at 11:44 pm

Ross, you video game idea does sound like Wreck-it Ralf, but also has ideas from the old cg show Reboot and like Guycep said Kid Radd (awesome web comic).