RPPR Episode 104: Gen Con 2014 Wrap-Up

rppr-meetupNews: The No Soul Left Behind and Horrors of War Kickstarters are both successful! Thanks to everyone who contributed.

Synopsis: Gen Con 2014 has come and gone and we had a blast. More of the RPPR crew made it up there than previous years, and our meetup was a resounding success. We even had a war banner! So this episode is a full breakdown of what we did, what games we tried out, and what loot we secured. Thanks to everyone we met up there and we look forward to next year.

Shout Outs:

• GroupMe: Very handy social media app for the geek on the go.
  • Dead of Winter: Very cool zombie survival horror co-op board game.
  • Shinobi Clans: New card game out from Posthuman Studios.
  • Mythos Expeditions: a new collection of Trail of Cthulhu adventures centered around exploration in distant lands.
  • The Void: Cthulhu meets space opera, in RPG format.
  • Wield: A new fantasy RPG about sentient magic items and the humans they manipulate.
  • Atlantis The Second Age: A swords and sorcery RPG from the creator of Hellas.
  • Atomic Robo RPG: Not actually radioactive or made of robot parts.
  • Emerald City: New Mutants and Masterminds setting book.
  • Dinosaurs in Space: It’s written by Greg Stolze. Just get it already.
  • Dr. Who RPG: It’s that story about the doctor who can’t remember his name so he’s homeless and lives in a telephone box.
  • The Play’s the Thing: Yo dawg, I heard you like storytelling, so I put a RPG in your Shakespeare.
  • The Legend of Drizzt: Ice-T is a masterful narrator. If only he had better material.
  • Dresden Files Shield Bracelet: So pretty and +5 vs. uh, demons or something?
  • Mad Quao: a great card game for large groups.

Song: Hypersloth by Cuddly Psycho.

19 comments for “RPPR Episode 104: Gen Con 2014 Wrap-Up

1. Tim
    August 28, 2014 at 7:45 pm

Just watched the trailer for Dracula Unbound …. I blame Mr Stokes for all the brain cells I have lost because of this action.

2. August 28, 2014 at 7:58 pm

Thanks for the direct shout-out David, and thanks for the indirect shout-outs Ross and Caleb! My group (Richard, Ivan, and myself) had an awesome time getting to play Base Raiders, Better Angels, Channel A, and Mad Quao with all of you guys and we can’t wait for next year!

3. August 28, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Thanks for the mention! I’m happy to hear people loved their stuff. I’ve only gotten to listen to part of the first half but I’ll listen to the rest tomorrow at work. Caleb I didn’t mean for you to be replaced by Bowie. =)

4. Adaptive
    August 28, 2014 at 10:43 pm

The bat punch was definitely worth it though.

5. Ben Wenham
    August 29, 2014 at 3:27 am

So, I live in the UK, and this makes me very sad I can’t really do Gencon.

6. August 29, 2014 at 11:30 am

Starting this with: His name is James! James was the guy with the black hair.

So I finished listening to the whole thing now. Jeeze, I’m really floored to hear how much people love the little things I made. Aaron if you could get a photo of all the items I would be ecstatic, I totally forgot to do that and I’m sad.

I think we need to make Bureaucrat Bear into a meme. =)

Bring more RPPR crew next year and they will get gifts too!

The lewts sounded like all awesome stuffs and I have to check out Mice and Mystics now cause it sounds really cool.

7. Ethan C.
    August 29, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Very cool, sounds like everybody had a great time. One of these years, I’m gonna make it to Gen Con — maybe when I’m not in a job that has a mandatory pre-semester “Faculty Institute” that same week. 😛

Heck, I even have a father-in-law who lives in suburban Indie who would let my wife and me crash at his house. Grrrrrrrrr Faculty Institute!

8. August 29, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Ethan: Next year, Gen Con starts on July 30, well before any pre-semester crap teachers have to do.

9. ButwhichBaker
    August 29, 2014 at 4:45 pm

What was the name of the Doctor Who related thing Aaron said he had to show Caleb? I listened to it three times and couldn’t make it out, but it sounded interesting.

10. Ethan C.
    August 29, 2014 at 7:48 pm

Ross: Aw, hell yeah! Good news!

11. Ethan C.
    August 29, 2014 at 7:52 pm
  12. August 30, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Thanks guys. You made my first Gen Con an awesome experience. You were all extremely nice and helpful. I do want to thank you, Dan, for running an awesome first DnD experience. I had fun. David, I appreciate your humor and good attitude. Thank you for all the laughs and the mention. Tom, sitting and talking with you and Tad during dinner was fun. Thank you for allowing me to tag along. I had a blast meeting all of you: Ross, Caleb, Aaron, David, Dan, Tom, Michelle, Tad, Micah and all of the other RPPR fans. I hope I’m able to make it next year and hang out with all of you again.

13. Thesauradon
    August 30, 2014 at 12:56 pm

ButwhichBaker: Aaron told Caleb “I so need to show you the Capaldi Doctor last night. My god, you’re going to love him.” Peter Capaldi, the actor playing the new Doctor, is legendary for being one of the UK’s most terrifying older male actors. I have yet to see his premiere but going on his past performances I would say I think Caleb will have his “Doctor as a great old one” interpretation validated during this season.
    Of course, the Great Intelligence was referenced as Yog-Sothoth during the original show, so there’s already been a life-destroying elder god fight during the Matt Smith run. Capaldi is what you get when the Doctor has to incorporate the power and consciousness of another horrifying deity into its physical form.

14. crawlkill
    August 30, 2014 at 8:31 pm

cons sound like fun in a way I would absolutely hate. giant nerd herd, blech. still, great hearing about that weird and alien world, and when the con game recordings aren’t too sound polluted (the ambient video game menu music, whyyy), they’re always good.

I like this Hypersloth track. kinda got a Radiohead circa OK Computer vs Aphex Twin thing going on.

15. Tobias
    September 1, 2014 at 10:40 am

Speaking of RPPR-themed text alerts, mine is Ross’s “Wizzzzard!”. I get many disturbed looks every time it goes off.

16. Ian
    September 12, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Wow, my own personal Caleb impression channelling the spirit of Dick Van Dyke! That’s my new text alert sorted. Seriously, I enjoyed the panel though it was a shame I had to head before the end due to gaming demands.

17. Chados
    September 19, 2014 at 10:01 am

I really have to try to get out there next year. Sounds like a blast! I haven’t been out to a Gen Con since 2003 or so, back when it was still in Milwaukee(and half the driving distance for me…).