Game Designer Workshop Episode 15: Prepress

PREORDER RED MARKETS NOW! IT’S HAPPENING BACKER KIT IS LIVE

Synopsis: After the text is written and the art is drawn, the book still needs to be prepared for printing. Guess what? It’s not exactly an easy process to master. Caleb has valiantly thrown himself into it though and we can all learn from his struggles. Learn about covers, book binding, paper weight, and everything else you always wanted to know about book printing but were afraid to ask.

Song: When the Livin’ Ain’t Easy by Somewhere Off Jazz Street

6 comments for “Game Designer Workshop Episode 15: Prepress

1. Scribbleykins
    July 5, 2017 at 3:14 pm

This is pretty fascinating listening for someone who’s never been involved with the printing/publishing industry. Thank you for sharing your pain and hard-earned lessons with us!

2. james burns
    July 5, 2017 at 7:09 pm

I also agree with Scribble. That was more information then I needed to know about publishing a book. After all this work Caleb I suspect you will take a well deserved vacation I heard that Hell is cooler and less stressful then publishing a book.

3. July 7, 2017 at 5:28 pm

Huh, thought I’d commented here earlier, well lemme try again.

First: You have my sympathy Caleb, “It’s FINALLY DONE! …except for this, this, this, this, this and this.” perfectly describes the phase between awarding a contract and issuing spec’s & drawings for construction on every new building project I’ve been involved in.

Second: A “nitpicking & pixelbitching” anecdote of my own: While reviewing shop drawings today, I had to look up the thickness of a toilet seat on a washroom accessories manufacturer’s website, to find out if the sub-contractor’s choice of toilet & seat would comply with building code universal accessibility requirements. Whee.

4. Malcolm Edwards
    July 7, 2017 at 9:01 pm

I think most projects get into this kind of nit-picking if you want to do the job properly. I’m just very glad that you’re going through the effort, Caleb – I have more than a few RPG books and pdfs where the layout and design are terrible and it makes a big difference.

5. July 10, 2017 at 3:03 pm

Thanks for all the hard work Caleb. Here’s to Red Markets! I hope we have not seen the last of it on RPPR, the two campaigns have been truly great.

6. July 14, 2017 at 12:53 pm

Listening to this made me pretty glad I’ve only had to handle submitting articles a few pages long, and even with that I had to learn a ton about DPI, compression, and the like.

Pre-press seems like such a massive undertaking and I learned about many aspects that would never have occurred to me from this episode. The “Page XX” thing is such a perfect example of a problem that seems obvious in hindsight but is very difficult to anticipate when you just want to be writing.

Game Designer’s Workshop has helped me appreciate just how much work goes into each RPG book – how many people agonized and worked on the writing, layout, art, printing for the finished product. Doing a kickstarted, massive book like Red Markets just amplifies those challenges – but the result is truly impressive.