RPPR Episode 158: Gen Con 2018 Wrap Up

We’re back from Gen Con and we had a blast! In this episode we go over the highlights and low points of our con experiences and more importantly, the games we played! Board games, card games, and of course, role playing games. What did we try out and what did we grab for future episodes?

If you want to hear how Caleb and Spencer did, listen to the Mixed Six Hot Takes Gen Con special, available to everyone, not just backers of their Patreon.

Shout Outs

If I left something out, post about it in the comments.

Song: Tracks from March of Thieves by Lux Viridis

10 comments for “RPPR Episode 158: Gen Con 2018 Wrap Up

1. August 17, 2018 at 3:12 am

Question for Maddy: was the game by the Australian designer ‘As Blossoms Fall’, by Luke Jordan? (@wildwoodsgames)

https://gamesfromthewildwood.itch.io/blossoms <– this game?

Also; The Witch (and I, her partner) say hi and hope you're having a great time.

2. August 17, 2018 at 7:01 am

FYI, FFG’s two-foot long super star destroyer mini is for Armada, which is a separate game from X-Wing for a different scale of battle.

3. August 17, 2018 at 8:05 pm

@Liam, it most certainly was that game & thank you for linking it. the Actual Play post will also include Luke’s itch.io link in the body of the post.

4. August 18, 2018 at 5:26 pm

Didn’t Ross play in the Battletech simulator pods at a previous GenCon? I seem to recall him complaining bitterly about the joysticks working like… joysticks.

And on the Battletech wargame: though it’s not my cup of tea, I’m glad for actual Battletech fans that the current deveopers haven’t completely redone the game. Having had the producers of a game I played for years decide to alienate their existing fanbase while chasing after fans of other games, I really don’t wish that experience on other gamers, whatever they might be playing.

5. August 19, 2018 at 1:05 am

You may be thinking of the Steel Battalion games I played at PAX South. Similar controls and I was also quite bad at it.

6. David Tokarczyk
    August 19, 2018 at 6:52 am

That red markets game that Jason ran was one of the highlights of my first gen-con experience. Next time I will have to leave my friday night open, to make it to the meet up.

7. David Tokarczyk
    August 19, 2018 at 6:55 am

The red markets game that Jason ran was definitely one of the highlights of my first gen-con experience. Next time I will have to leave my friday night open to make it to the meet up.

8. August 19, 2018 at 12:19 pm

Ah, guess that’s what I was remembering.

9. Daniel Krongaard
    August 20, 2018 at 9:02 am

Tortuga is made by Façade Games by the way.