Jeff Barber, designer of Blue Planet and Upwind, stopped by recently so we caught up on how Upwind has been progressing. While the main game is done, Jeff is hard at work on the first campaign. Creating a new style for Upwind adventures and getting feedback from playtesters, has been challenging. I’ve been busy working on a freelance project, but I wrote a micro-game to take a break from it. After I saw Honey Heist, I thought I could write a micro-game, so I created Weird Trip I uploaded the alpha rules and the first playtest to the RPPR Patreon, but I’ll eventually release it to the public.
I interviewed Jim McClure, a game designer and fellow RPG podcaster, about his latest Kickstarter, Satanic Panic. It is a tabletop role playing game set in the fictional 1970’s and 1980’s where players take on the role of secret government agents tasked with combating the evils of tabletop. The players work as a team with the common purpose to contain, control, and eliminate the threats to our world. They must do all this while keeping the truth from the public, lest a panic ensue.
News: Arc Dream needs GMs to run games at Gen Con. Get awesome rewards like a Delta Green raid jacket! Check out the details here.
Synopsis: With most of the RPPR crew out of town, Bill and I got together to discuss ways to add mini games inside a RPG. We’ve done it before in various RPPR games, but we haven’t fully explored the concept. Turning lock picking from a single skill roll to a puzzle can make the game more engaging for every player. However, figuring out what kind of mini game to add and how to integrate it can be tricky. We discuss some examples and how they work with the 8 types of fun, ranging from puzzles to board games or even other RPGs. We also have shout outs and anecdotes.
- I Am A Hero: Zombie apocalyptic character study manga. First 2 volumes are great.
- You: A novel by Greg Stolze. Very Unknown Armies.
- Young Justice: Teenage superheroes go on secret missions because Batman said so.
- GM Word of the Week: A short weekly podcast by the Angry GM.
- Fragged Empire: A post post-apocalyptic sci-fi RPG with great art and interesting rules.
- Nuclear Throne: Fight to sit on the nuclear throne!
- The Grizzled: A co-op WW1 themed card game. Try to survive until the war’s end.