Cody’s back and we’re examining an interesting Ravenloft scenario, The Created. It’s about an evil puppet trying to murder all the adults in a village. Only a group of heroic adventurers can stop it! Cody and I review this scenario and talk through its unusual design.
If you like this episode, check out the RPPR Patreon and get access to many more episodes of RPPR After Hours.
Sponsor: Check out the Chew RPG Kickstarter!
After running a two part game with the new Forged in the Dark RPG, Chew, I wanted to talk to Pete Petrusha about the game. I liked how Chew ran differently than Blades as it focuses on investigating crimes instead of pulling off heists. Chew uses the FitD system but changes quite a few things about the mechanics from the original Blades in the Dark. Pete talks about the development cycle, how certain changes were made, and game design principles.
Synopsis: Thad and I both have ideas for scenarios. I got an idea for an investigative scenario (probably Delta Green) after I watched a series called Fear City. It focuses on the FBI’s prosecution of the mafia in the early 80s and how wiretapping was a key component. So I thought why not build a scenario around wiretapping? Thad recently read a book called Strike about the history of labor organizing and thought that would be an interesting challenge for a Red Markets game. In this episode, we talk about our ideas and how to structure them as adventures.
Follow Thad’s Twitter profile to keep up with his latest work, including his upcoming Twitch stream!
- Collection of Saga Final Fantasy Legend: The old gameboy FF games brought to the Switch
- Come Drink With Me: A wuxia classic. Kung fu and amazing storytelling.
- Strike: A history of labor organizing.
- Bar the Windows, Bolt the Doors: a story telling horror game.
- Sensor: The newest Junji Ito horror masterpiece.
- Grave Encounters 1 and 2: Architectural horror films. A very niche subgenre but I love it.
- Streets of Rogue: An action roguelike video game with surprising complexity.
- Psychonauts 2: An incredible platformer video game about healing trauma.