Tom, the co-host of RPPR has long since been a featured player in the actual plays but the table have now been turned. In his first ever game of Call of Cthulhu, he pits a group of German soldiers against the horrors of a Nazi experiment gone wrong. In the winter. In a remote base. With little chance of escaping. Thanks a lot Tom.
Inspired by our recent 4th edition D&D campaign, Tom and I discuss the usage of maps, miniatures and other props and gimmicks in tabletop games. While some games like Dungeons and Dragons nessecitate at least using some of these add-ons and others like Call of Cthulhu practically drown players in handouts, so where should you draw the line? How much is too much and when do they take away from the game instead of enhancing it? We also talk about our Gencon 09 plans and the New World Primer. Funny thing, we record this episode before the primer came out. Instead of a letter, Tom reads some stuff written by his friend Andy and we have the most insane anecdote ever…The Chaplin Incident as related to us by Adam Scott Glancy of Pagan Publishing.
Favorite RPPR Forums Threads:
- Games you would run if you didn’t have the players that you do
- rifts muthafuckas!
- Mega Shark Vs Giant Octopus
- Lessons Learned at RPPR
- M-51 Engineer’s Bag – a neat bag suitable for hauling gaming materials like maps and minis
- Henry Rollins Show: Season One – Tom wuvs Henry Rollins.
- The Burrowers – a twisted western horror movie that asks the question: what’s worse – man eating predatory monsters or us?
- Black Adder Complete Collector’s Set – Nerd out to great brit comedy about war, politics and history.
- Splinter – another new and freaky horror movie with a horrific and original monster besieging 4 trapped survivors.
- Level Up Magazine – 4E gaming goodness for only 2 bucks an issue.
For the last year, I have been writing and running a massive Call of Cthulhu campaign. I have not breathed a word about it so I could unleash it to the world in one massive release. However, everything fell apart in the last session. I will post this as a warning to never give the players what they want. I deleted all of my notes and game recordings in a fit of rage so don’t bother asking about them either.