We recently finished posting Fallen Flag, a Red Markets campaign, so I got Caleb, David, Shaun, and Faust together to discuss it. We talk about everything from creating the enclave to individual character arcs. If you haven’t caught up with Fallen Flag, check out our campaign page, which links all of the episodes. I’ll get Tom and Aaron to discuss the campaign in a segment in a future RPPR episode.
Jeff Barber, designer of Blue Planet and Upwind, stopped by recently so we caught up on how Upwind has been progressing. While the main game is done, Jeff is hard at work on the first campaign. Creating a new style for Upwind adventures and getting feedback from playtesters, has been challenging. I’ve been busy working on a freelance project, but I wrote a micro-game to take a break from it. After I saw Honey Heist, I thought I could write a micro-game, so I created Weird Trip I uploaded the alpha rules and the first playtest to the RPPR Patreon, but I’ll eventually release it to the public.
Synopsis:Instead of being lonely murderhobos, player characters can start and lead organizations in many games. Tom, Dan, and I discuss how to run a campaign about building an organization and how it differs from a standard campaign. The degree of new game mechanics necessary to run such a game varies so it’s possible to run this style of campaign in nearly any RPG. However, picking a game that has focused mechanics may result in a more engaging game. We also have shout outs and anecdotes!
- Nefarious: A platforming video game about a princess-kidnapping villain.
- Zombies, Run!: a fitness/zombie survival guide! Outrun and outfight the undead.
- Don’t Call me Crazy: A BBC mini-series about teens in a mental health facility.
- 37th Parallel: A book about a UFOlogist and his quest for the truth.
- Lords of Waterdeep: Fantasy worker placement. Rule Waterdeep by manipulating adventurers.
- Joking Hazard: A comic card game from the makers of Cyanide and Happiness.
- Congresswolf: Interactive fiction about politics and werewolves.
- Letterkenny: A hilarious Canadian sitcom about small town life.
- Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu – It’s Pandemic but with shoggoths. Fun!