Author Topic: Red Flags of Gaming  (Read 27148 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Red Flags of Gaming
« on: May 12, 2009, 06:30:57 PM »
When a player or DM is turning on you, there's usually signs.

If the adventure is spiraling into bullshit land, there where probably indications of that along the way.

Should your group shatter between sessions, maybe you should've seen something going on.

This thread is deticated to the warning signs that spring up to alert you of approaching danger. Some signs are widely known while others are lesser or even unique to an individual group or gamer.

Knowledge of these signs can help you get ahead of danger and prevent disaster, or at least make sure your not at the session when everything explodes.

Important notes:

1) These red flags don't always come before a total and complete melt down of gaming, they might just be a good warning sign that your about to waste time.
2) Not all red flags apply to all groups. Some people will have these flags present but have worked around them to the point that they aren't in real danger of harming the game.

Some examples include:

The environment- No table; unproductive music selection; distractions abound (like shinny objects).

The players- Didn't bring essental supplies; one of them is that guy you hated in high school because he was a dick (and probably hasn't changed); two or more players are involved in romantic relationships with each other.

Or the GM- Is a Grognard; not focused on players and game; is a relative.

wrotenbe

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • RAWRF
    • View Profile
Re: Red Flags of Gaming
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 06:34:36 PM »
More than two absences without a good excuse. That player either is bored with the game or can't stand the players / GM.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 08:22:30 PM »
miscommunication is the biggest deal. I actually ran and recorded a game with some of the bear swarm guys that fell apart and I'm sure it was full of red flags. I might post it some day.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 11:07:25 AM »
Had the first brain storm meeting of the eveing Hunter the Vigil game. One of the players, after being continually pressed for information about their character's goals, basically said she didn't want to hunt monsters.

Red flag for a Hunter game.

Corrosive Rabbit

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 11:21:03 AM »
Had the first brain storm meeting of the eveing Hunter the Vigil game. One of the players, after being continually pressed for information about their character's goals, basically said she didn't want to hunt monsters.

Red flag for a Hunter game.

The player didn't want to, or the character didn't want to?  I could see a character who didn't really want to fight monsters but did anyway because of some sort of compulsion, oath, duty, etc.  If it's the player who doesn't want to then yeah ... big red flag.

Note: I'm currently jotting down notes for a possible Hunter campaign -- I'd be interested in hearing what you're planning to do with yours, if you're interested in talking about it in another thread.

CR
A bullet may have your name on it, but hand grenades are like spam for the battlefield.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 12:21:18 PM »
The player and first her character concept. We managed to work around it in the end.

I'll start another thread for Vigil talk.

Another red flag, at least in some games: when the first thing a player looks for is the best ways to kill.

New Start

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 06:27:12 PM »
Okay, here's a few Flags I know from personal experience:

1. When a game has over seven PC's.

2. When one of the PC's rape a NPC, within the first 30 minutes of the first session.

3. When the GM does not want to work with you at all.

4. When some of the PC's start playing cards when its not there turn.

Totems aren't "pack licenses," they're not handed out by the National Registry of Uratha Pack Services as soon as you complete Form 12458-B, Petition for the Formation of a Pack (Tribes of the Moon and Unaffiliated). - Kordeth

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 09:24:23 PM »
A bottle of wine and an asshole named "Jared."

Physical assault between two players.

When players begin to significantly bend the rules.

When a player and the DM get into a heated argument that turns into one of those really long and awkward arguments.

When a player just wants the story to focus on himself.

The last one happened today as I played D&D with my students.
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 11:40:07 AM »

Too bad you couldn't have been their for the EPIC imperialism/anti-imperialism debate between Juard, Tim, and me during one of the games Ross ran that I was sure was going to come to blows.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 12:59:16 PM »
When the players develop a consistant, unflattering nick name for the GM. And for the record, mine is apparently "Dungeon Dweeb".

One or more players has the Monster Manuel open or ready.

Maze

• Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Azathoth Janitorial Services
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 02:01:06 PM »
When one or more players brings you bowl of chips/cheetos with grounded glass in it or adds paint thinner to your cola.

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 09:52:08 AM »

Too bad you couldn't have been their for the EPIC imperialism/anti-imperialism debate between Juard, Tim, and me during one of the games Ross ran that I was sure was going to come to blows.

And too bad you weren't there last night for the epic debate over parliamentary procedure between Bill and Mike. I thought Mike was gonna choke somebody.
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

codered

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Don't Hate!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 12:09:48 PM »
complaining complaining complaining

players working against eachother

8 hours of game time 2 hours of play time
Kenders Rock

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 12:51:02 PM »
players start using parliamentary procedure to debate what direction they should go in the dungeon.

This happened in last night's new world game.

Phelanar

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • Stop nuzzling the instrument of my vengeance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 11:57:27 AM »
When the GM doesn't even try to pretend that the NPCs he makes for the game are characters that he wishes he was playing.

When players are blatantly working on backup or alternate characters for the game at the table.

When players are working on characters for another game entirely.

When players start making Tomb of Horrors references and they're not joking around with them.

A great ninja move is like great jazz. Nobody is aware of it and anyone who saw it live is now dead.