Author Topic: Hong Kong  (Read 4086 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Hong Kong
« on: December 08, 2009, 11:27:30 PM »
I've seen alot of cool period games in recent years, alot of them from Scott Glancy and his World War One anticates at GenCon but also Tom's CoC game and Ross's Yakuza game.

Today while I was browsing the used book store discounted game stuff section I found an Old World of Darkness suppliment for Hong Kong. It's intended for use with Kindred of the East and the other asian parallels to oWoD games but features information about Hong Kong, characters who populate it, and some great maps. The book is primarily contemporary for the time is was written, 1998, but the information is useful.

I'm now deeply interested in running a game in the city, probably set just a little way back to when the "coloney" was being returned from British control to Chinese control.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Hong Kong
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 01:25:17 AM »
There's a hong kong section of masks of nyarlathotep but that is in the 20s.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 01:44:49 AM »
1920s wouldn't be bad either. Apparently Hong Kong has had wave upon wave of refugees due to various invasions. Chinese refugees fled there when Japan invaded them, Vietnamese refugees fled there when they got invaded, there's British citizens left from the occupations, and every minor culture that got swept up between the waves. It goes way, way back and the island has been a refuge and mixing place for centuries with the World War II stuff just the most recent twist.

In a post 40s setting, because of all of the "western" influence and capitalist allowances, character types from the "normal" WoD games are present within the city state as well as the eastern spin off variations. It's alot like the Chicago setting for nWoD but much smaller and more varied. And since its in such a state of change through modern history, it isn't fully controlled by all power elders (like any place old in WoD tends to be) so fresh players can shake the city power structure.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 04:17:16 PM »
My obression spreads into the future! I discovered the Runner Havens, a suppliment for Shadowrun 4th Edition, details Hong Kong in the year 2068.