Author Topic: Codex of War - New World ransom  (Read 198640 times)

Dogfish

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Re: Codex of War - New World ransom
« Reply #255 on: May 15, 2010, 02:10:43 PM »
Ive never seen them on somone whos got bolognai nips, I bet that woudl be gross.... Or big pastys.

Cold day in Missouri.

*froths at the mouth a little*

So we can pass a bill to invest taxpayer money to enforce the reduction of a vice industry (which tends to be one of the things that is successful during tough economic times), but this is the same MO legislature that continues to bleed it's child and family services funding, including the elimination of the Family Reunification Services budget.  Family Values indeed.

They'll also be putting many single mums out of a job, so much for creating more jobs in these troubled times.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 18, 2010, 11:04:30 PM »
Family Values White Middle Class Values indeed.

Fixed this.

Also, delivered another 2K words to Ross for the Codex today, so we're developing a monster of a supplement for all you guys that are waiting patiently. I have another 5000-6000 to write this week, which will push my contribution up to 11-12,000 words alone. So we're talking about a 30,000 word supplement by the time we're done fellas. I hope you can find time to read it all.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

ArtfulShrapnel

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 11, 2010, 02:42:04 AM »
I've started the layout and design process for the Codex, in addition to a few pieces of art. Not really much I can show off on the layout side (45 pages of text, anyone?) but this is the working logo/title I've put together for the book.

Looking good?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 02:43:45 AM by ArtfulShrapnel »

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 11, 2010, 03:01:23 AM »
I've started the layout and design process for the Codex, in addition to a few pieces of art. Not really much I can show off on the layout side (45 pages of text, anyone?) but this is the working logo/title I've put together for the book.

Looking good?

That looks AMAZING.  The only possible feedback I could have is that the "Compatible with 4E Dungeons and Dragons" font isn't quite as epic as the rest.  By no means a problem, but I feel like there might be room for a slight improvement with a slightly different font.  Though I have absolutely no suggestions or any real complaints about the current one...

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 11, 2010, 11:03:20 AM »
I like it!

beej

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 11, 2010, 11:07:22 AM »
The weapons sticking out the side of the logo is pretty sweet.
"Old R'lyeh Brewery. Enjoy a cold one on the Great Old One!"

ArtfulShrapnel

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 11, 2010, 11:29:56 AM »
The weapons sticking out the side of the logo is pretty sweet.

Thanks! I'm really feeling the weapons idea, but they definitely need some messing with before they're finished. Ross thinks they need to be bigger and fewer, I'm thinking they need to be thinner and more spread out. We'll see how it actually works in various sizes and iterations when I have a chance to mess with it this weekend.

If anyone is curious, the design is inspired by Pathfinder's excellent logotype, Dragon Age's clever use of grunge texture and silhouette, and this awesome painting by Jon Foster, who is a badass art machine. Is there any interest in the process of concepting and designing the logo? I could post all my early ideas and variants that are currently hidden in an Illustrator file in another thread if anyone cares to see them.

Quote from:  Mckma
the "Compatible with 4E Dungeons and Dragons" font isn't quite as epic as the rest.  By no means a problem, but I feel like there might be room for a slight improvement with a slightly different font.

I totally agree. I was trying for something that roughly matches the font used on official 4e books, but I think I will try some variants with more awesome font in that space. It's also slightly misaligned from where i wanted it, which I didn't notice on account of 3AM. Oops!  :-[
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 12:15:59 PM by ArtfulShrapnel »

FrothyKat

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 11, 2010, 11:34:36 AM »
There appears to be a faint white outline between the red letters "Codex of War" and the black background of the logo.

Am I just seeing things?

Also, do the words "Compatible with 4E Dungeons and Dragons" need to be a part of the logo, or could they just be featured prominently on the cover, but away from the logo itself? I personally think the logo looks good, and having that floating reminder so close just takes away from the logo's power.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 11, 2010, 12:04:35 PM »
I already emailed this to Ross and Ean, but my suggestion was to shrink the "Compatible with..." text and then center it under the logo. Right now, I think the text commands too much attention because it is as long as the logo itself.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

ArtfulShrapnel

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 11, 2010, 12:07:59 PM »
There appears to be a faint white outline between the red letters "Codex of War" and the black background of the logo.

Am I just seeing things?

Yes, you're seeing .jpg artifacts. I'll post a cleaner .gif version in the next update.

Also, do the words "Compatible with 4E Dungeons and Dragons" need to be a part of the logo, or could they just be featured prominently on the cover, but away from the logo itself? I personally think the logo looks good, and having that floating reminder so close just takes away from the logo's power.

I don't believe they have to be part of the logo, but I wanted to address them at the same time and include them in a version for Ross to use online. (So people know what the book is for right away.) They'll likely be prominently featured on the cover in a way that visually separates them from the logo.

I already emailed this to Ross and Ean, but my suggestion was to shrink the "Compatible with..." text and then center it under the logo. Right now, I think the text commands too much attention because it is as long as the logo itself.

Yeah, I like that idea. Probably what will happen for the final version.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 12:31:04 PM by ArtfulShrapnel »

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #265 on: June 21, 2010, 05:20:04 PM »
If you can edit/proofread/catch typos - please send me a private message to become a Codex of War proofreader.

ZEKE

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
  • REO Speedealer
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 21, 2010, 10:08:34 PM »
OOH OOH OOH ME ME ME
urlgrey

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile