Author Topic: Real life player characters  (Read 32487 times)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Real life player characters
« on: March 28, 2009, 11:09:58 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Churchill

He resumed his commission after Poland was invaded, and volunteered for the Commandos after fighting at Dunkirk. Churchill was not sure what Commando Duty entailed, but he signed up because it sounded dangerous. In May 1940, Churchill and his unit, the Manchester Regiment, ambushed a German patrol near l'Epinette, France. Churchill gave the signal to attack by cutting down the enemy Feldwebel (sergeant) with his barbed arrows, becoming the only known British soldier to have felled an enemy with a longbow in the course of the war.[2]

silentjudas

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Re: Real life player characters
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 02:32:41 AM »
That...is the most kickass thing I've ever heard, hahaha!

Maze

• Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Azathoth Janitorial Services
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 11:30:08 PM »
François l'Ollonais : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7ois_l%27Ollonais

Word of his attack on Maracaibo and Gibraltar reached Tortuga, and l'Olonnais earned a reputation for his ferocity and cruelty and he was given the nickname "Bane of the Spaniards" (French: Fléau des Espagnols). Seven hundred pirates enlisted with him when he mounted his next expedition, this time to the Central American mainland, later that year. After pillaging Puerto Cabello, l'Olonnais was ambushed by a large force of Spanish soldiers en route to San Pedro. Only narrowly escaping with his life, l'Olonnais captured two Spaniards. Exquemelin wrote:

"He drew his cutlass, and with it cut open the breast of one of those poor Spaniards, and pulling out his heart with his sacrilegious hands, began to bite and gnaw it with his teeth, like a ravenous wolf, saying to the rest: I will serve you all alike, if you show me not another way."

Horrified, the surviving Spaniard showed l'Olonnais a clear route. However, l'Olonnais and the few men still surviving were repelled, and retreated back to their ship. They ran aground on a sandbar in the Gulf of Honduras, and, unable to dislodge their craft, headed inland to find food, but were captured by Kuna's Tribe in Darién, and he was eaten by the Native Americans. Exquemelin wrote that the natives:

"tore him in pieces alive, throwing his body limb by limb into the fire and his ashes into the air; to the intent no trace nor memory might remain of such an infamous, inhuman creature."

THAT is a player character if I ever saw one, sociopath and all. I love how the "GM" decided to deal with this troublesome player. :)

Ferc

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 12:19:31 AM »
Sometimes people can be so silly.
This is not a signature.

Maze

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 01:09:11 AM »

Welcome to the forum!  8)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 02:02:11 AM »

This isn't limited to people though.  http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/south_of_scotland/7208505.stm

GM: I want to do a WW2 game - GURPS.

Player: Cool, I want to be a bear. Can I take addiction to alcohol and cigarettes as disadvantages?

GM: I fucking hate you.

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 02:05:58 PM »
William Walker

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Walker_(soldier)

"William Walker (May 8, 1824 – September 12, 1860) was an American filibuster who attempted to conquer several Latin American countries in the mid-19th century. He appointed himself president of the Republic of Nicaragua in 1856 and ruled from that year to 1857. He was executed by the government of Honduras in 1860."

Come on guys! He appointed HIMSELF the president of Nicaragua!

"In the role-playing game GURPS' book Alternate Earths, one of the alternate Earths mentioned has its point of divergence in the moment where Walker decided to revoke Vanderbilt's Transit Company's charter. In this alternate Earth, Walker decides to support it, and as a result he remains as the president of Nicaragua, conquers most of Central America and supports the Confederacy in the American Civil War, which ends with the victory of the South and the official secession of the United States of America into two different countries."

Word.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 02:18:58 PM by Maze »
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Maze

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 02:26:33 PM »
That is wicked. They fail to mention how he was killed and if he said any last words, those are usually epic.

James French was already serving a life sentence in an Ohio prison in 1966 when he began to realize that life is a really long fucking time. Unwilling to complete his sentence and reportedly scared of suicide, he did the only logical thing: kill his cell mate in an effort to convince the state to execute him.

His last words as he was being strapped to an electric chair: "Hey fellas! How about this for a headline for tomorrow's paper? 'French fries.'"

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 06:43:37 PM »
Not all real life PCs are ultraviolent killers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_Norton

At the peremptory request and desire of a large majority of the citizens of these United States, I, Joshua Norton, formerly of Algoa Bay, Cape of Good Hope, and now for the last 9 years and 10 months past of S. F., Cal., declare and proclaim myself Emperor of these U. S.; and in virtue of the authority thereby in me vested, do hereby order and direct the representatives of the different States of the Union to assemble in Musical Hall, of this city, on the 1st day of Feb. next, then and there to make such alterations in the existing laws of the Union as may ameliorate the evils under which the country is laboring, and thereby cause confidence to exist, both at home and abroad, in our stability and integrity.

NORTON I, Emperor of the United States.

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 11:26:36 AM »
That is wicked. They fail to mention how he was killed and if he said any last words, those are usually epic.

James French was already serving a life sentence in an Ohio prison in 1966 when he began to realize that life is a really long fucking time. Unwilling to complete his sentence and reportedly scared of suicide, he did the only logical thing: kill his cell mate in an effort to convince the state to execute him.

His last words as he was being strapped to an electric chair: "Hey fellas! How about this for a headline for tomorrow's paper? 'French fries.'"

Heh. That is pretty amazing.
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 01:12:52 PM »

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 01:47:25 PM »
Sometimes entire groups of people can be real life player characters

I stumbled across this website today. Meet the MARCOS, an Indian special forces unit http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/Marines.html

Why do I bring them up? This line alone

A MARCOS operator armed with an MP-5, grenades and crossbow. The crossbow was used for sentry elimination and silent killing with cyanide tipped arrows and has been replaced by less cumbersome silenced pistols. Note the trademark beard - the Indian Navy is the only branch of the military that permits beards for non-Sikh members.

Even the crossbow is now phased out, I know what my next modern character will be...a retired MARCOS soldier with a crossbow.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 08:54:45 PM »
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Maze

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 04:30:14 AM »