Author Topic: Favorite character class in 3.5 Dungeons and dragons  (Read 33826 times)

Order66

Re: Favorite character class in 3.5 Dungeons and dragons
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 07:30:10 PM »
Preferably druid cuz they can do anything.

they cant cast wish, fireball or lightning bolt!

No but they can cast storm of vengeance and foresight while fighting as a HUGE FUCKING ELEMENTAL AT 20 LEVEL

AT 20 LEVEL  it takes so freaking long to get to 20th level
i love druids AND wizards equaly

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 07:30:38 PM »

Right, those are all Wizard/Sorcerer spells. Druids can cast Call Lightning, Elemental Swarm, and Flame Strike. While in the shape of a grizzly bear.

Call Lighting does 3d6 per shot with, I believe, the same range as a Lightning Bolt and the caster can use 1 bolt per caster level per round to a maximum of 10, which would be 30d6 over ten rounds compared to the 10d6 in a single shot from an equal level wizard (who is not in grizzly bear form at the time).

That's not the point, of course, since this thread is only about what people's favorite classes are and neither druid or wizard is one of my favorites.

I personally like the simplicity of the 9th Level Martial Maneuver: Strike of Perfect Clarity, which allows the user to make one standard attack and if they hit adds 100 points of bonus damage. If you are playing a Warblade than you can do it every other round too.

Or the 5th level strike which adds 6d6 and automatically overcomes any Hardness or Damage Reduction on the target. I used that one to open doors.

I love Martial Adepts.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 07:32:34 PM by Tadanori Oyama »

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 07:42:32 PM »

No but they can cast storm of vengeance and foresight while fighting as a HUGE FUCKING ELEMENTAL AT 20 LEVEL

I could accept your comment more than if you got rid of wish from the list of spells you mention above since wish is a 9th level spell and the two spells I listed are also 9th level spells. Just at level 20 you can cast those spells while in wild shape as a druid. So your counter-argument of Kroack's point about druid's being able to do anything doesn't hold up. They can cast similar spells, while still acting as front line fighters.

Personally, though, my favorite classes are still paladin, rogue shadowdancer, or favored soul.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 07:44:15 PM »
Personally, though, my favorite classes are still paladin, rogue shadowdancer, or favored soul.

Can you cross any of those over? I don't know much about Favored Souls but do they have the elements needed to become a Shadowdancer?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 08:01:23 PM »
also druids can cast shapechange which lets them turn into any monster and use their supernatural abilities - sooo that's a whole lotta shit you can do with that

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 09:24:19 PM »
Animals
With
Magic
Powers
FTW

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2010, 11:04:33 PM »
also druids can cast shapechange which lets them turn into any monster and use their supernatural abilities - sooo that's a whole lotta shit you can do with that

In my first D&D campaign one of my players, a Rogue, gained access to an artifact that allowed him to use Shapechange. He used it to turn himself into an Iron Golem and weild a Huge sword they managed to steal from an Ogre Mage. He enchanted it with Brilliant Energy so that he could wield it like a madman and never hurt himself because Iron Golems aren't organic so the blade would pass through him. Not a particularly powerful build compared to the opinions out there but an example of what one could do with the resources in a typical DnD game.

Sean-o-tron

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • heard nonsense
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2010, 11:55:58 AM »

I could accept your comment more than if you got rid of wish from the list of spells you mention above since wish is a 9th level spell and the two spells I listed are also 9th level spells. Just at level 20 you can cast those spells while in wild shape as a druid. So your counter-argument of Kroack's point about druid's being able to do anything doesn't hold up. They can cast similar spells, while still acting as front line fighters.

Wait, didn't we already have this discussion in a thread that is now locked?

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2010, 11:58:37 AM »

Maybe people just really like to talk about this?

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2010, 12:44:54 PM »

No no no no, no. See, there was an arguement in another thread but this thread is a simple sharing of information with no one stating things which are facts, only opinions. Furthermore, if there was a hypotetical arguement and it where to only be between one member and a moderator, than it isn't really an arguement.

If the rest of us just don't rely to any inflamatory remarks than there can't be a flame war.

Sean-o-tron

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • heard nonsense
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2010, 05:56:52 PM »
TAD YOU ARE A PILLAR OF THIS COMMUNITY

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2010, 06:00:10 PM »

Just pressin' the flesh, laying the ground work for my potential election campaign.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2010, 06:25:53 PM »

Just pressin' the flesh, laying the ground work for my potential election campaign.

I already declared that you were a RPPR whore in the 50 post whore decree.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2010, 06:38:30 PM »

Whores can hold public office. Or is this not America?

Speaking of which, did anybody ever use any of the politically focused Prestige Classes out there?

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2010, 06:45:04 PM »

Whores can hold public office. Or is this not America?

Speaking of which, did anybody ever use any of the politically focused Prestige Classes out there?

I wanted to, but it was easier for me to build a diplomat-combat monkey using the paladin build. My problem was that no one ever wants to play a front line soldier or a negotiator in Ross' games. That was until I left and someone had to do it. Fuckers.