Author Topic: War in table top RPG's?  (Read 25652 times)

sarendt

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • Alien Weasel Puppy from the planet Tepid :*)
    • View Profile
War in table top RPG's?
« on: March 04, 2010, 04:02:08 PM »
So I was reading this article on io9 and got to thinking this would make an interesting subject for RPPR forums.

http://io9.com/5481380/your-military-science-fiction-isnt-really-military-science-fiction

Has anyone been in or run a game with a war going on?  Was it believeable?  What aspects of the game made the war feel more or less believeable?  Any other thoughts?

-Scott
2242656361757365204920676574206d6F72652062616E6720666F72206D7920636861726163746572207769746820484558203A2A29202d53636f747422

Order66

Re: War in table top RPG's?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 04:04:53 PM »
So I was reading this article on io9 and got to thinking this would make an interesting subject for RPPR forums.

http://io9.com/5481380/your-military-science-fiction-isnt-really-military-science-fiction

Has anyone been in or run a game with a war going on?  Was it believeable?  What aspects of the game made the war feel more or less believeable?  Any other thoughts?

-Scott

i have not done so but i have thought of it
but my pcs are probaly gona make the war themselves

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 04:17:19 PM »

-Scott

The new New World campaign that hasn't started will focus on war and revolution. A few years back, Ross ran an epic game that featured a war as its subtext. All the players were epic level commanders that had their own armies and were having to join forces to fight off an invasion.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 04:22:46 PM »
The reason military sci-fi is basically retreads of WW2 with sci-fi dressing is because military sci-fi fans have huge boners for WW2 and will never get sick of re-reading the battle of the bulge but with robots.

Order66

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 04:25:40 PM »
The reason military sci-fi is basically retreads of WW2 with sci-fi dressing is because military sci-fi fans have huge boners for WW2 and will never get sick of re-reading the battle of the bulge but with robots.

hmmm

Charlie72

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 04:28:13 PM »
Giant or Regular sized robots?

sarendt

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • Alien Weasel Puppy from the planet Tepid :*)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 04:34:06 PM »
The new New World campaign that hasn't started will focus on war and revolution. A few years back, Ross ran an epic game that featured a war as its subtext. All the players were epic level commanders that had their own armies and were having to join forces to fight off an invasion.

Could you give more details about it?  What system was it in?  Did it feature large tables full of mini's to represent the battles?  Did you have to mod the rules to make the battles work?  What type of events (roleplaying or just back story) led up to the war?  What type of narative or characters in game made it a believealbe war setting? 

-Scott
2242656361757365204920676574206d6F72652062616E6720666F72206D7920636861726163746572207769746820484558203A2A29202d53636f747422

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 05:01:13 PM »
Haven't read the article yet, but the current game I am running in theory eventually devolves into a world war.  I think the biggest trick is going to be putting the players in some big battles without it getting really bogged down.  The rest of the time I am planning on mostly using it as a backdrop to make things interesting as they run around adventuring.

I've read the Heroes of Battle or whatever from DnD 3.5 and found that useful and helpful.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 05:09:10 PM »

hmmm

it's true you know it

Order66

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 05:10:30 PM »

hmmm

it's true you know it

very intreasting hoe does that make you feel?

robotkarateman

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Mulsk!
    • View Profile
    • AARG roleplaying system
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 05:25:01 PM »

That's a goddamned dirty lie.

All of my RPG battles have been retreads of the Battle of the Five Armies.
GENERALA, my free dungeon-crawling RPG, is now available! And it's free!

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 05:37:27 PM »

Could you give more details about it?  What system was it in?  Did it feature large tables full of mini's to represent the battles?  Did you have to mod the rules to make the battles work?  What type of events (roleplaying or just back story) led up to the war?  What type of narative or characters in game made it a believealbe war setting? 

-Scott

In the epic campaign, we had one battle with a map full of minis. The other battles were done tactically without using a map and involved describing troop movements, fortifications, treaties, etc.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 05:50:05 PM »

Well I like World War 2 and now I have a boner so I guess I can't argue.

Anyway I've tried war several times in my games. My original D&D game, the first thing I ran, spent it's last quarter detailing a war between the PC's country and the evil nation nearby ruled by an evil dragon. That was pretty vague since it was a first time game and everyone was in high school.

Lately I've found myself flirting with war often. My Epic D&D game recently was entirely about war. My PCs where not interested in the specifics of the war, though I offered them the positions of generals and tacticaians in the setting. They only wanted to kill dudes of their own level so they got turned into a NAVY Seals style unit.

CthulhuTech is all about war, several different ones occuring at the same time infact. Tried to push that but about half my players didn't want to deal with what they considered a depressing setting (it's based on the Cthulhu Mythos so humanity is losing the war). So we played a Tager game that was more akin to supernatural superheroes.

So, yes, I want to do war but my players won't let me.

*sigh*

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 07:20:12 PM »

trap sprung

LOTR is WW2

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 07:24:56 PM »

trap sprung

LOTR is WW2

I think that's a little extreme. I mean, Lord of the Rings is really a story of an alliance of countries on the west side against an alliance of countries on the east side and... crap.