Author Topic: Help handling a new brand new gamer  (Read 6794 times)

beej

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Help handling a new brand new gamer
« on: November 14, 2010, 12:19:57 PM »
So we've picked up up two new players in our group.  One is a long time hardcore gamer and LARPer the other has never played any tabletop rpgs at all.   For simplicity's sake I decided to start everyone out with MAOCT before we jump into 4e and Saga.   Yes Ross, I bought Road Trip.   What sort of advice do people have when handling brand new gamers?  Which back episodes should I download and relisten to?

Mahalo
"Old R'lyeh Brewery. Enjoy a cold one on the Great Old One!"

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
Re: Help handling a new brand new gamer
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 12:44:56 PM »
I usually give new players a meetup strictly to explain the rules and help them make a character, explain the who what whys and wheres of the system.

42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 01:39:36 PM »
Since it's only one player amongst many, I would think about meeting up separately to talk about it.  Otherwise, definitely bring a pregen for him or her (unless you want to meet separately/earlier to make a character with him or her).  The thing I would suggest during game though is (depending on personalities) make sure other players don't dominate and he or she doesn't feel left out.  Just ask him or her what he or she wants to do in roleplaying parts if other players are talking over...

doctorscraps

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 09:14:48 PM »
Patience is key. Be sure to explain things to them as they come as they do it. I find that new players learn better by doing than by going over the rules and reading them.
When the GM can't roll higher than a ten on the D20, he see's his plot points flash before his eyes.

Shallazar

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 10:29:01 PM »
Yeah as long as they don't
"pull a Mike Black"
you should be alright.
If it is someone that you KNOW, is a friend, is someone in the gaming group's friend and you TRUST this person, you won't have anything to worry about.

In my experience people catch on pretty quickly. I even dumped Eclipse Phase on some super n00bs and they picked it up fairly quickly. Of course I've also had new players who want to kill someone as soon as possible, and then if you react as you would to one of your normal players.. like the police show up... that person will think you're not being fair. JUST A WARNING....CAPITAL LETTERS!

EDIT:
Also make sure they sit somewhere next to your most experienced players but not like right next to you, don't want to make them nervous. And of course the experienced player can help them out so they don't need to bother you all the time.

It is also kind of important to engage new players, something you think they can handle.  E.g. The Tale of the Nautical Druid. You want them to feel like they're contributing positively, present a welcoming atmosphere, and make sure they have fun.

The most recent new player I had was a I guy that I knew wasn't going to fuck up the game for everyone and wasn't going to be showing up more than just this once. OH AND I didn't know he was coming until a buddy brought him to my house. :P, but anyhow, everyone had well established characters and had hired the new player as a Driver. They were investigating werewolves in England but the Driver just stood by the car smoking cigarettes, for two hours (of real time), while everyone else got townspeople angry and killed things.

I could have had some NPCs go talk to the driver, or have the werewolf attack the driver however, It wasn't the full moon, and these townspeople we're getting bullied by the other players.  I wish i would've just attacked him, just like some red herring wild dogs or something. He would've had a better time, but i guess some people are just at the table sometimes to "smoke cigarettes" and hang out with people while they play a game.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 10:39:19 PM by Shallazar »
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

Zeriken

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 07:30:28 AM »

The most recent new player I had was a I guy that I knew wasn't going to fuck up the game for everyone and wasn't going to be showing up more than just this once. OH AND I didn't know he was coming until a buddy brought him to my house. :P, but anyhow, everyone had well established characters and had hired the new player as a Driver. They were investigating werewolves in England but the Driver just stood by the car smoking cigarettes, for two hours (of real time), while everyone else got townspeople angry and killed things.

I could have had some NPCs go talk to the driver, or have the werewolf attack the driver however, It wasn't the full moon, and these townspeople we're getting bullied by the other players.  I wish i would've just attacked him, just like some red herring wild dogs or something. He would've had a better time, but i guess some people are just at the table sometimes to "smoke cigarettes" and hang out with people while they play a game.

I can imagine it now; all hell breaking loose in town as the driver just stands there nonchalantly, smoking his cigs and watching as shit burns down around him. The players get back and say 'Quick, we need to get out!' in a worried voice, nothing in their voice to belay their haste to the Driver.

"Alright." The driver drawls, lazily opening the door, opposed to the other players who jerk open their doors and jump in head first. The driver sits, and calmly shifts gears. The car screeches as the driver's foot puts the pedal to the metal and they drive off.

The stark contrast is delicious.
Magadheera - Must find sub of this movie.

Shallazar

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 09:23:18 AM »
That is exactly what happened.
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.