Author Topic: Geiger Counter - rules lite horror rpg with interesting rules  (Read 5999 times)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
http://bleedingplay.wordpress.com/geiger/

Stumbled on this tonight. Looks fun.

Geiger Counter was designed to do two things: 1) emulate movies in which most of the main characters eventually die and 2) perform really well in single-session play, such as a pick-up or convention game. I originally aimed to replicate the fun of watching movies like Alien  and Scream, but Geiger Counter can also create play that feels like Jurassic Park, Dawn of the Dead, Twister, Nightmare on Elm Street, Vertical Limit, Jaws, or even sobering fare such as Black Hawk Down or Saving Private Ryan. Currently, I’m most excited about playing out movies that are too interesting to ever actually be made.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: Geiger Counter - rules lite horror rpg with interesting rules
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 01:19:34 AM »
This sounds really familiar. I'd swear you've mentioned something similar on the show before.

Sounds like an awesome game. And, as a big bonus, it sounds like the sort of game I could get some of my players to actually play, since they like those sorts of movies.

Bronnen

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 01:46:27 AM »
This is pure awesomesauce!

FrodoLlama

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 04:23:03 PM »
That seems like a good system to play a zombie apocalypse-type oneshot in...

tkwickham

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
    • Design Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 11:36:08 PM »
Actually yes - most of the time it's played - the 'theat' is defined as a shapeless mass or as a horde of mooks. Luckily the local 'Story Gamers' - a fairly experienced group - were able to come up with a Weird West horror of Brotherhood of the Wolf proportions.

Personal highlight: my doc tricked a professional gamber into playing Russian roulette rather than a 'fair' quick-draw contest. When the PG was unloading, he started shooting. Like the game's theme song says "ain't no rest for the wicked"

ArtfulShrapnel

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 10:22:45 AM »
Actually yes - most of the time it's played - the 'theat' is defined as a shapeless mass or as a horde of mooks. Luckily the local 'Story Gamers' - a fairly experienced group - were able to come up with a Weird West horror of Brotherhood of the Wolf proportions.

Personal highlight: my doc tricked a professional gamber into playing Russian roulette rather than a 'fair' quick-draw contest. When the PG was unloading, he started shooting. Like the game's theme song says "ain't no rest for the wicked"

Very nice. I shall definitely have to try this out somewhere.