Author Topic: Personal Projector  (Read 4644 times)

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
Personal Projector
« on: August 08, 2010, 07:55:15 PM »
At the moment I'm passively considering picking up a projector for my apartment that I'll be sharing with a couple of guys.  I wouldn't necessarily expect anyone to know anything, but on the off-chance that any of you have used one or several and have some advice/recommendations, I would appreciate it.  As far as stuff I'm looking for:

Standard 15-pin VGA input
RCA input (i.e. from a console/dvd player)
Any other input not necessary, but HDMI would be nice if I can get it without jacking up the price

Short projection range (minimum down to 3 feet-ish)
Not battery powered (or at least has a power cable)

That's about everything as far as real "necessities" I guess.  Beyond that it would just be quality and obviously higher resolution is better, but having not really used many projectors at short distance, I don't really know what you need.  I would like to get it for around $500 max, but depending on how good/if I can find really good bargains, I might go up a little, though ideal price range would be more like $300 (though with brief internet searches it's tough to find anything that low that seems decent).

I would mainly use this for movies, but also for gaming if I have the proper hook-ups.

Like I said, I wouldn't necessarily expect anyone to know anything, but it would be especially helpful if you have used one and can let me know what for and how it worked/if it was worth the price.  Thanks for any help.

Arje

• Play by Post Dude. Malcontent.
  • Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Personal Projector
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 08:54:10 PM »
I have a lot of advice on this subject, and will take the time to write it up in the next day or two.

But the most important thing for you to remember is: lumens. You want as many as possible. Contrast ration is really important, and not of that dynamic shit either. You want actual contrast. Basic contrast if you will. And lots of it.

Those are the two most important things.

I will have more for you shortly.
My new goal in life is to play D&D with Judi Dench

Mckma

• Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 08:59:44 PM »
I have a lot of advice on this subject, and will take the time to write it up in the next day or two.

But the most important thing for you to remember is: lumens. You want as many as possible. Contrast ration is really important, and not of that dynamic shit either. You want actual contrast. Basic contrast if you will. And lots of it.

Those are the two most important things.

I will have more for you shortly.

Oh yeah, completely forgot to ask about that.  Knew those two were important, but didn't know how important they were.  Thanks for advice...

Joven

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 10:46:35 PM »
Only bit of advice I really know is DLP > LCD projectors.

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 04:39:25 PM »
All I know, is be sure to have a screen. As cool as it might seem on a wall, the wall will get dirty and or random stuff on it after all its a house with 3 other guys. anyways my buddie had one without a screen, untill he got a screen you could see everything on the wall. tiny dust things would fuck up your focus.

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 06:57:33 PM »
Also it is important to note that Lumens testing is done with different conditions per company for the most part.

Make sure you look at the difference between peak lumens and ANSI Lumens

Higher ANSI lumens is better altogether quality of lighting
Peak means they put a small central area of white light and the rest of the picture is black, they then test that center spots light out put and call that peak lumens.

The best of the best of the best is made by vidikron
http://www.hometheatermag.com/news/10326/

The lowest quality we carried at my old job was the Infocus, but I have heard that they have taken alot of the criticisms to heart and make a solid product now.

Either way you shouldnt be paying anymore than $600 for a generic hometheater system, anything more than that is just sweet sweet overkill.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.