Author Topic: Who is Petro Sarkis?  (Read 27669 times)

joecrak

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Re: Who is Petro Sarkis?
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2010, 10:42:04 PM »
You know, I never got why Pelor put up with this shit. I know Pelor is D&D Jesus and therefore the church of Pelor has to be D&D medieval church, but being catholic never gave medieval paladins laser powers. This especially true for paladins, since, last time I checked, they have to be the same alignment as their patron god.

Then again, other than the blurb about torture, Petro seems like an okay guy.

The deity usually does not directly grant the cleric their powers.

As for the whole having to be the same alignment, i never really believed that, nor do i think ross does, as i'm pretty sure his cleric of pelor from NWG was pretty evil in his actions.
Freedom is not a license for chaos.

Charlie72

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2010, 11:04:08 PM »
You know, I never got why Pelor put up with this shit. I know Pelor is D&D Jesus and therefore the church of Pelor has to be D&D medieval church, but being catholic never gave medieval paladins laser powers. This especially true for paladins, since, last time I checked, they have to be the same alignment as their patron god.

As for the whole having to be the same alignment, i never really believed that, nor do i think ross does, as i'm pretty sure his cleric of pelor from NWG was pretty evil in his actions.
Cue Ross saying he wasn't evil in three.. two..

Moondog

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2010, 11:22:17 PM »

Nah. The Church of Pelor is more like the Church of Jesus - Pelor is a deity who asks that his people treat others with kindness, turn the other cheek, treat their neighbors like their brothers, heal the sick, take care of the wounded and so on. He also asks that they deal with evil succinctly - whether this is by obliterating them via holy means (See the origin of the Sunfly Swarms) or by diplomacy and good intentions, he doesn't really care, so long as it is done right.

St. Cuthbert would be a better analogy to the Catholic Church. Their primary concern isn't being a good, kind, loving person (which is totally where Jesus was), but following the rules necessary to get into heaven and avoid being cast into the hells/abyss. St. Cuthbert cares that his followers follow rules - that they evangelize *a lot*, and that they *annihilate* evil whenever it dares rear its ugly head.

Not because Evil creatures hurt and kill and maim others. Because they're the ones who break the law the most often.

St. Cuthbert is very much like Old Testament God, whereas Pelor is more Jesus-y.

At least, this is how it is in 'vanilla' Greyhawk. While Pelor can be stern and wrathful as any good deity can, he is portrayed as being a bit gentler in his treatment of evil creatures, with redemption highly considered. St. Cuthbert is more 'Beat them over the head until they stop moving.'

Currently Reading: FIGHT!: The Fighting Game RPG! (it owns)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2010, 11:35:14 PM »

Sarkis isn't a cleric - he was a former paladin of Pelor though. In 4E it makes a point that clerics don't have to strictly obey their god's doctrine to retain their power.

joecrak

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2010, 09:14:10 AM »

Sarkis isn't a cleric - he was a former paladin of Pelor though. In 4E it makes a point that clerics don't have to strictly obey their god's doctrine to retain their power.

Well my point was that if the gods didn't grant the clerics their powers, there was probably no way the paladins got their powers from the gods.

And thank you, i've been wondering about that but couldn't find any statement other than the character builder saying clerics can't be of alignment opposing their god, which i think is bunk.  The whole good intentions in the wrong way kind of deal, could still be considered evil after all, it also all comes down to others opinions.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2010, 09:18:15 AM »
I think the whole issue of morality systems needs to be reconceived in general because good and evil are such flexible categories.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2010, 10:46:35 AM »
I think the whole issue of morality systems needs to be reconceived in general because good and evil are such flexible categories.

Patrick's right, but I would like to add that Sarkis is technically evil because his goals are different than the goals of the Water Barons and therefore, anyone who doesn't agree with our goals is evil. It may be simplistic, but thus is the mind of a PC.
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2010, 01:08:11 PM »

Well my point was that if the gods didn't grant the clerics their powers, there was probably no way the paladins got their powers from the gods.

And thank you, i've been wondering about that but couldn't find any statement other than the character builder saying clerics can't be of alignment opposing their god, which i think is bunk.  The whole good intentions in the wrong way kind of deal, could still be considered evil after all, it also all comes down to others opinions.

Clerics and Paladins DO get their powers from their god but they don't have to strictly adhere to the tenets of their faith to keep them.

Moondog

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2010, 01:22:09 PM »

Clerics and Paladins DO get their powers from their god but they don't have to strictly adhere to the tenets of their faith to keep them.

Bah.
Currently Reading: FIGHT!: The Fighting Game RPG! (it owns)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2010, 02:10:06 PM »

joecrak

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2010, 05:26:27 PM »
According to the PHB 1 the deity does not directly grant them their powers.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2010, 05:28:19 PM »
I didn't say gods directly gave clerics and paladins their powers.

joecrak

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2010, 05:57:25 PM »
well played ross peyton.....well played.

Charlie72

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2010, 07:07:20 PM »
But what does Pelor need with a Spelljammer?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2010, 09:42:59 PM »
well played ross peyton.....well played.

my last name is Payton