Author Topic: Old Anti-D&D propaganda  (Read 24501 times)

dragonshaos

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Amateur DM
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Old Anti-D&D propaganda
« on: April 18, 2009, 03:48:01 AM »
Found this by just clicking around:
http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp

It's a comic strip from the 70/80's about how D&D is for cults and jesus is awesome.
I found it to be hilarious however.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

wrotenbe

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • RAWRF
    • View Profile
Re: Old Anti-D&D propaganda
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 05:40:22 AM »
Jack Chick tracts are part of gamer mythos down here. Whenever you'd get an RP book from B. Dalton's or Books-A-Million, it was tradition to turn it with pages facing down toward the floor and give it three or four shakes. If a Jack Chick tract fell out, then you knew it was a good book, two or even three fell out, then you knew what you had in your hands was pure RPing gold. It was like instead of dissuading us from playing with these tools of Satan, they became just another facet of gamer oneupsmanship. It was not uncommon to open the back of someone's book to find the Jack Chick tract that had been in it taped to the back, it was a badge of honor.

codered

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Don't Hate!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 09:40:28 PM »
I never knew of any of that shit, it's cool i want a jack chick badge of honor
Kenders Rock

Mason

• he who laughs last, didn't get it.
    • View Profile
    • my myspace page
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 09:53:24 PM »
your not ready kid. your power level is only 8,999, soon though.
"a Kenyan man once told me you can get use to anything when money is involved... he use to stick mice up his ass for twenty dollars a pop." -Spider Jerusalem

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 01:14:52 AM »
obligatory link to dead alewives sketch
<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 10:23:29 AM »
The artwork looks like Phil Jimenez's work which gives the strips an odd appeal to me. I love me some Jimenez (except when he betrayed me to go to Marvel the bastard . . . who am I kidding, I bought Spider-man just because he did the art).

Also, how would this deter people from playing D&D? I can be a part of a witch's coven? Hells yes! You know what they do in witch's covens? They have ritualistic, tantric sex! I'm all about that shit! ;D ;D
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

rayner23

• View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 11:04:26 AM »
"Your spiritual growth through the game is more important than some lousy loser's life!"

My response, "Yeah. I guess you're right. I am no longer upset."

I know this is so supposed to be anti-D&D, but it reads more like a study in player logic.

Also, I love the "WARNING: see Acts 19:13-17" they put where the preacher is blessing the girl.

In conclusion, I sent this e-mail to the company. Granted, no one will probably read it, but I sent it anyway.

To whom it may concern:

A few years ago, I was in a really bad spot. I had joined up with some "Dungeons and Dragons" players and things got pretty bad. After my cleric (a character class I assumed was holy) achieved level 9, I was introduced to a Witch's coven so I could achieve real power in life. I was masturbating in order to cast magick every single day. I could see the world change around me. I called it the old "wank and wish."

Anyway, I sort of thought that things were going too far when a friend of mine committed suicide because she felt unworthy to play with us (she sorta deserved it because she was a real D-bag, lol!). What really hit home though, was when my best friend committed suicide because his paladin died. I mean, I realized then that this game was taking things too far. Like a drug though, I couldn't escape because of all the masturbation magick I was doing. I'd wank and wish for a sandwich and sure enough, one would be in my sticky hand by the end of the day. Though I was pleasuring myself nearly every hour at this point, I knew I had to change. I couldn't say why I had to change because life was perfect other than the suicides, but I knew I had to.

That's when I came across your site and your educational cartoons over Dungeons and Dragons. I saw a little piece of myself in those cartoons and I realized that I had to change my way of life. I decided to let a new Dungeon Master in my heart. The ultimate Dungeon Master. Jesus Christ.

Through Jesus's teachings, I learned that I didn't have to roll a 20-sided die to see the world around me. I could just look around. I learned that sacrificing orphans in house fires just because they saw me commit a murder so my friend could be let out of jail is most definitely wrong. Most of all, I learned that my real enemy wasn't a bunch of creatures in a Monster Manual, but sin and since everyone sins in the world, then I have an unlimited supply of enemies I can face.

Anyway, thank you so much for showing me the way, the truth and the light. My newfound faith in Christianity has stopped my masturbatory habits and I have come closer to God. Really close. Scary close. Sometimes, when I murder people, I feel like I'm doing his work for him. He's the creator of everything and I am the destroyer. Thank you.

-Lightbringer Leo
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 11:44:43 AM »
Also, I love the "WARNING: see Acts 19:13-17" they put where the preacher is blessing the girl.

I love it when people pick Bible verses at random and then have to struggle to make it mean something in the context. For instance, someone explain to me how Act 19:13-17 has to do with role playing?

Code: [Select]
13Then certain of the vagabond Jews, exorcists, took upon them to call over them which had evil spirits the name of the LORD Jesus, saying, We adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preacheth.

14And there were seven sons of one Sceva, a Jew, and chief of the priests, which did so.

15And the evil spirit answered and said, Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are ye?

16And the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, and overcame them, and prevailed against them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded.

17And this was known to all the Jews and Greeks also dwelling at Ephesus; and fear fell on them all, and the name of the Lord Jesus was magnified.

Also, Lucifer is the Lightbringer, not Leo.  ;)
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Mason

• View Profile
    • my myspace page
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 12:17:08 PM »
I love christians. when my Branden started playing D&D with us his mom got all freaked out and wanted to see the books and make sure they weren't evil. I sat her down and explained what the game was and so on and so forth. eventually she gave up and let him play.

as of late I have thrown him into the world of "call of cthulhu". if his mom wasn't pissed before she will be now. soon he will be ready to join the cult of the cathartic lobster.
"a Kenyan man once told me you can get use to anything when money is involved... he use to stick mice up his ass for twenty dollars a pop." -Spider Jerusalem

rayner23

• View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 12:49:09 PM »
All hail the cathartic lobster!

I went through a fake e-mail where my fake name is Leo. I put the Lightbringer part there so they would make the connection to Lucifer (hopefully). I didn't want to be too overt with the whole "Lucifer" thing. Also, for those of you who are Thunderbolts fans, I clearly paraphrased Bullseye with the whole "God's the creator and I am the destroyer" thing. Man, I used to love Warren Ellis so much.

Maze

• Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Azathoth Janitorial Services
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 04:59:02 PM »
Code: [Select]
13Then certain of the vagabond Jews, exorcists, took upon them to call over them which had evil spirits the name of the LORD Jesus, saying, We adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preacheth.

14And there were seven sons of one Sceva, a Jew, and chief of the priests, which did so.

15And the evil spirit answered and said, Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are ye?

16And the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, and overcame them, and prevailed against them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded.

17And this was known to all the Jews and Greeks also dwelling at Ephesus; and fear fell on them all, and the name of the Lord Jesus was magnified.

Wow, this sounds more like the story of ghost Jesus raping little boys than anything else. What on earth?

Dawnsteel

• Dispensing indiscriminate justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 05:15:19 PM »
Quote from: Maze

Wow, this sounds more like the story of ghost Jesus raping little boys than anything else. What on earth?

To quote the Bible by way of George Carlin, "Suffer the little children, come unto me."
I didn't come here to win. I came to make friends.

codered

• Don't Hate!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 05:33:55 PM »

All hail the cathartic lobster! ;D

I hpoe you get a reply  to that email you proly won't but it would be great.
Kenders Rock

rayner23

• View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 05:42:55 PM »

All hail the cathartic lobster! ;D

I hpoe you get a reply  to that email you proly won't but it would be great.

That's more like it!

Mason

• View Profile
    • my myspace page
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 09:46:47 PM »
All hail the cathartic lobster!

I went through a fake e-mail where my fake name is Leo. I put the Lightbringer part there so they would make the connection to Lucifer (hopefully). I didn't want to be too overt with the whole "Lucifer" thing. Also, for those of you who are Thunderbolts fans, I clearly paraphrased Bullseye with the whole "God's the creator and I am the destroyer" thing. Man, I used to love Warren Ellis so much.

have you read "Transmetropolitan". I just got turned onto it by some newly acquired* friends. it is fucking awesome. Ive fallen in love with Spider Jerusalem.

*inanimate objects in my room dresses up to be people.