Author Topic: Let's geek out about giant robots  (Read 42898 times)

Charlie72

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Let's geek out about giant robots
« on: October 27, 2010, 05:24:09 PM »
This thread's for Aaron.

Let's talk about our favorate giant robots.

If I had to choose a favorite, it'd probably be  MEGAS. How can you not love a mech that has a car for a head, literally held together with duct tape, and has a button for everything.

My secound favorite is probably Burning/God Gundam. G Gundam is was my first gundam seires and the first mech show I remeber watching with any interest.

Also, on subject of G Gundam...

My Gundam's a windmill, your argument is invalid.

crash2455

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
  • #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
Re: Let's geek out about giant robots
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 05:36:10 PM »
I suppose I don't have a favorite robot in particular, but Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure is my favorite anime ever, and happens to include giant robots that kick the crap out of each other every episode.

Also GAD Guard does the same thing, but with a full Jazz soundtrack.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 05:52:07 PM »
Optimus Prime is my favorite giant robot. Given that he's only like twenty feet tall he isn't as "giant" as some robots, I feel he makes up for it in heart, balls, and immortality. Seriously, Optimus Prime dies and comes back so often he should be in comic books. Oh wait...

Translation, animation, and writing being what they where in the eighties most of my love for Prime wouldn't hold up if I went back and actually watched some of the stuff again so if you feel the need to tear down my illusions, whatever.

What I really like about Optimus is that he makes for such an unrealistic personality. He's deeply compassionate in regards to living things and yet he seems totally willing to execute a dude given the right set of circumstances. He never actually does (in anything I've seen him in anyway) because something prevents him from doing so like another character saying "wait, I have one last thing I can try" or someone jumping in between Prime and the 'convicted'.

I love that mix of kind parent and straight faced judge.

Zeriken

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 06:23:37 PM »
Megas. Simply because its piloted by some of the most bad-ass dudes I've ever seen.
Magadheera - Must find sub of this movie.

Maze

• Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Azathoth Janitorial Services
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 06:27:06 PM »
Alteisen

Super robot wars: Original Generation 1 and 2

<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

Skip to end for ultimate attack.

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 06:48:31 PM »
Beta From Robo Tech, I assum since Gundams count so Do Robo Techs. I also like the Cyclones but there nothing realy giant about them.

Salkovich

• Concupiscent Piranha of the Apocalypse
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 06:52:50 PM »
See, my problem is I was never into giant robots, but I could talk about Battletech mechs for frigging days.
"It's heresy. Burn the heretics." - Ross Payton NEVAR FORGET
"If you are asked, 'Would you like Abraham Lincoln', your answer is always YES."

Joven

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 06:59:32 PM »
Im not really a fan of giant robot stuff, however, Gundam Wing was one of my first animes, and I've always really liked Tallgeese.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 07:48:35 PM »
My favorite giant robot-like-thing is the intelligent awakened warforged titan I created for the New World game.

Enlil

Race: Huge Natural Humanoid (Living Construct)
Class/Powers: Enlil is a warforged titan created by Lemurian engineers who was never awakened. Beyond having all the powers of a warforged titan, Enlil has enhanced, above average intelligence.

Reputation: While all warforged titans strike fear into the hearts of enemy forces when they appear on the battlefield, Enlil is particularly fearsome because of his above average intelligence. The legends of intelligent warforged titans will do little to prepare someone to face one in combat.

Background: Legend has it that the Lemurians were making warforged titans at the end of their civilization. Unlike normal warforged titans, these constructs would have human intelligence so that they would make the strongest fighting force in existence. Recently, the legends of these giant constructs have gained validity with the discovery of an ancient map. The map shows the way to an otherwise unknown Lemurian factory marked with an unknown Lemurian word. Colonists and natives with knowledge of the legends believe that this could be the factory where the warforged titans were made.

The map does in fact show the warforged factory, but anyone who finds it will be slightly disappointed when they reach it. Enlil is the only titan in the factory. Enlil stands on the factory floor in full battle armor with two titan-sized scimitars in scabbards attached to his hips. Though he makes an imposing figure, anyone who finds Enlil is safe from him because he was never awakened.

Services: Surprisingly quick and dexterous for a warforged titan, Enlil is the ultimate melee fighter. Instead of his arms ending in blades like some warforged titans, Enlil has humanlike hands that he can use to pummel enemies or use to dual wield titan-sized scimitars. He suffers no penalties for using both scimitars at once, but he may also use a combination of one scimitar in one hand with the other hand free. Using only one scimitar allows Enlil to use the free hand to pick up enemy soldiers or deflect boulders flung from catapults or trebuchets.

No ordinary mook, Enlil uses his above average intelligence to his advantage in combat by employing basic tactics to best position himself on a battlefield rather than charging into the first group of enemy soldiers that he sees. He often positions himself in such a way that gives him and his fellow soldiers the best flanking opportunities. Due to his size, there are few things Enlil cannot flank.

Recruiting: Any party that wants to recruit Enlil will have to discover and recreate the Lemurian rituals necessary to awaken the titan. Because of his above average intelligence, Enlil will immediate experience the shock of having been asleep for several centuries once he is awakened. During this moment of immediate shock, Enlil may lash out at the party, especially when he realizes they are not the ones that made him.

Once awakened, the party will have to convince Enlil to fight for them. This will be the easy task for any party since Enlil was made for combat and war. He will serve whoever awakens him faithfully at first. After Enlil has grown accustomed to the ways of the time period he has found himself in, however, he may begin to act as any other mercenary. He may begin demanding larger material rewards or he may just choose to fight for the side that offers what he feels is the best combat opportunity.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 09:33:34 PM »
See, my problem is I was never into giant robots, but I could talk about Battletech mechs for frigging days.

If gundam and Robotech Count So do Battle Tech, and Ill agree there some fun mechs out there.

Charlie72

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 12:15:52 AM »
My favorite giant robot-like-thing is the intelligent awakened warforged titan I created for the New World game.

I think thats kind of cheating. I'd be like saying "My favorite book is the one I wrote. Smug.jpg"

Edit: And Battletech does count as giant robots. Real Robot to be exact.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 12:34:31 AM by Charlie72 »

crash2455

• #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 12:52:03 AM »
Speaking of the best robots ever, Metal Wolf Chaos anyone?

<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

Salkovich

• Concupiscent Piranha of the Apocalypse
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 12:54:37 AM »

I think thats kind of cheating. I'd be like saying "My favorite book is the one I wrote. Smug.jpg"

Edit: And Battletech does count as giant robots. Real Robot to be exact.

Well in that case the Fafnir owns your face. Just LOOK at those beautiful heavy gauss rifles.
"It's heresy. Burn the heretics." - Ross Payton NEVAR FORGET
"If you are asked, 'Would you like Abraham Lincoln', your answer is always YES."

BeyondSandrock

• Give Life Back to Music
    • View Profile
    • The BrightSide Lair - My Personal Repository for Stuff
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 04:12:16 AM »
Well, given my screen name, first honors have to go to this guy:

Though ultimately I do find his custom mode from Endless Waltz to be far more badass.

Other favorites include:

ZGMF-X10A Freedom Gundam

This to me is probably one of the coolest of what I consider "functional" mecha designs. (Yes, Wing Zero Custom will always be cool, but metallic angel wings?)

ARX-7 "Arbalest"

Interesting design for a smaller scale humanoid mech.

Tenga Toppa Gurren Lagann

It's a robot the size of a galaxy. That's all.

And of course M.E.G.A.S.  I still mourn the fact that Cartoon Network did not renew after "Rearview Mirror, Mirror".
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 04:40:52 AM by BeyondSandrock »
"All of time and space, everything that ever happened or will happen. Where do you want to begin?"

Joven

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 11:09:19 AM »
Not sure if it counts, but one of the other mechs I've really liked is the Zaber Fang from Zoids.

Maybe cause when it showed up at first it was the most badass thing at the time cause of its pilot pushing it past what it should do, but then the pilot got a new better mech and left it to die. Same with Tallgeese, kinda felt sorry for them I guess.