Author Topic: What Are You Playing Now?  (Read 26681 times)

Dawnsteel

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Dispensing indiscriminate justice
    • View Profile
Re: What Are You Playing Now?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 09:46:39 PM »
Running: Starting a Deathwatch game on Friday, may be a one-shot if it goes badly.

Playing: A dwarf cleric in a 4e Scales of War campaign, not too far along, we're only level 3.

Working on: Mouse Guard game.  Actually, it's written, I just have to gather the guts to get somebody to play it.

Working on: Modern-day investigative/espionage game - can't decide what system to use.

I didn't come here to win. I came to make friends.

The_Last_76

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Mark Hamill has Arkham in his name.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 12:25:03 AM »
Planning:  Dresden Files based in Atlanta.  I have created several city setting ideas and threads, but it will be awhile until I have time to run it.

How do you find the Dresden Files system?  I've been meaning to look into it.

Running: Starting a Deathwatch game on Friday, may be a one-shot if it goes badly.

I'd love to hear how this turns out.
"When you realise that humanity is a dead end, the only way out is to stop being human."

Shallazar

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2010, 03:07:32 PM »

Working on:  CoC Masks of Nyarlathotep.  The new edition is in the mail.  About to start looking for some players to run it for.

Might I recommend listening to my actual play on the RPPR community site? I'm sticking fairly close to the book with the RMS Mauritania tossed in to fill in a couple weeks where we were down some essential personnel.

The Gaming Grunts AP is also good. I've heard that Adam Scott Glancy doesn't like the yogsothoth AP, which you have to join their ranks to listen to anyhow.
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

ristarr

• View Profile
    • Underwater Blues
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2010, 10:20:11 AM »
Planning:  Dresden Files based in Atlanta.  I have created several city setting ideas and threads, but it will be awhile until I have time to run it.

How do you find the Dresden Files system?  I've been meaning to look into it.

It seems good.  I played in two games at DragonCon with a really good GM that were a lot of fun.  I like the fate system a lot also.  Character creation is pretty cool also.

I am not sure how much I like the extensive player "input" on the city creation.  When I am a player, part of the fun of the game is the discovery of the unknown.  If you already know the secret relationships between the groups and the internal structure, you lose the fun of the investigation and the surprise when a trusted NPC turns on your party.  I don't know if this is because of all the background available from the books or not.  But if you are basing it in a different city and with different groups/history, it seems there could be a lot of difference from the Dresden canon.

Salkovich

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
  • Concupiscent Piranha of the Apocalypse
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2010, 06:35:27 PM »

I am not sure how much I like the extensive player "input" on the city creation.  When I am a player, part of the fun of the game is the discovery of the unknown.  If you already know the secret relationships between the groups and the internal structure, you lose the fun of the investigation and the surprise when a trusted NPC turns on your party.  I don't know if this is because of all the background available from the books or not.  But if you are basing it in a different city and with different groups/history, it seems there could be a lot of difference from the Dresden canon.

I wonder if this was heightened because it was a con game? Get players to jump into the city quicker, because they helped create it?
"It's heresy. Burn the heretics." - Ross Payton NEVAR FORGET
"If you are asked, 'Would you like Abraham Lincoln', your answer is always YES."

ristarr

• View Profile
    • Underwater Blues
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2010, 08:32:32 PM »

I wonder if this was heightened because it was a con game? Get players to jump into the city quicker, because they helped create it?

No, the con game was ready to go.  The city creation is part of the campaign style.  It's not that it is a bad idea, just that creating the element of surprise could be harder for the players.  It seems like the game can be played with a lot of intrigue.  So I think that some of the player input should be limited.  Maybe they could do a section or a faction that was important to their characters.  But leave a lot of the plotlines to the GM.
Also, I think that the player-plotline interaction comes later in play once they get to know their characters and the world.  Often a character's goals don't survive first contact with the enemy.

The_Last_76

• Mark Hamill has Arkham in his name.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2010, 07:21:29 PM »
I may have let things grow exponentially out of hand for my D&D campaign.

After a mere 50 hours of gameplay, they've succeeded in ripping the planet out of a pocket universe and place it back into the Astral Sea, resulting in a universe-fueled tidal wave of magic sweeping over all of their previous existence.
"When you realise that humanity is a dead end, the only way out is to stop being human."

Dawnsteel

• Dispensing indiscriminate justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2010, 11:57:57 PM »
Quote from: The_Last_76
Quote from: Dawnsteel

I'd love to hear how this turns out.

Deathwatch was fun.  Well, I had fun, and I didn't kill any players.  I need to try harder next time.
The only complaints I have are that the game ran long (like six and a half hours), I say "all right," "uh," and "okay," way too much, and I'd like to be more familiar with the ruleset when I run the next game.  But from the feedback I've gotten so far, everyone had fun and they're willing to play again.

There's always stuff the GM can't predict, right?  Within the first hour of play, the Dark Angel knocked down part of a building on an attacking army.
I didn't come here to win. I came to make friends.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2010, 12:16:22 AM »
There's always stuff the GM can't predict, right?  Within the first hour of play, the Dark Angel knocked down part of a building on an attacking army.

That was awesome. Also, I'd like to toot my own horn with that canisters of Promethian fuel idea.

crash2455

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
  • #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2010, 03:19:11 AM »
Working On - A Fear Itself one-shot based on this story.  I've sort of hit a wall, though.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 03:35:40 AM by crash2455 »

Arvandus

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
    • Fandible actual play podcast
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2010, 02:01:14 PM »
Running: Dark Heresy with some of the most amoral son's of bitches in existence. Perfect acolytes.

Running: Rogue Trader set in a sector of space cut off from the rest of the imperium. Have a Kroot and ORK PC and if one isnt trying to eat everything, the other tries to start fights when he is confused, which is always. Best game ever!

Playing: Dresden files game. Still in the planning stages.

Considering: I'm thinking of running a steampunk inspired game at some point. Either super dark like unhallowed metropolis or something a little more light hearted.
Fandible actual play podcast: www.fandible.com

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2010, 04:35:03 PM »
Running:
Shadowrun with none of the original players still around in the game. They've formed something close to a Shadowrunner's union and it's hilarious how badly screwed they just got because they managed to actually annoy a MegaCorp.

Running:
World of Darkness, focused on Vampire The Requiem. Good game, long sessions with two well learned WoD players and one who just does not get it.

Running:
Exalted with three people, two of whom don't really get it.

Running:
Exalted game with four people, none of whom really get it. *sigh*

Playing:
A World of Darkness Hunter the Vigil game that alternates with my Shadowrun game. Currently on hold due to the GM's school work.

Preparing:
Esoterrorists game set in the Scottish Highlands involving drowning victims, a local band on the rise, and superstitious local police officers.

Considering:
A Modern Day Extraordinary Gentlemen game using GURPS. Three players, two of which know what they want to play and how to do so and one person who just does not get the concept.

Considering:
Dresbin Files RPG with three people, one who gets it, one between, and one who keeps written paragraph long Aspects.

Considering:
Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition Astral Sea adventure based on the Pirates of Dark Water cartoon.

Seejo Crux

• High INT, Low CHA. Tend to be social misfits.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2010, 05:07:14 PM »
Running:
Running:
Running:
Running:
Playing:
Preparing:
Considering:
Considering:
Considering:

Fucking hell, Tad. You must have quite the Endurance skill. If you do decide to run that Pirates of Dark Water thing, be sure to record it for us folks in Internet Land.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 05:09:22 PM by Seejo Crux »

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2010, 05:33:07 PM »
That's the plan. I've been playing with my new Zoom H2 so that I can record the game properly when the time comes. Hopefully I can get my PCs to be more interesting by then as well.

Shallazar

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2010, 05:46:32 PM »
Tad, just tell them that they'll be internet famous, or ply them with alcohol things should get interesting once you start recording. Really. Nobody wants to listen to themselves be boring so you'll at least get people excited to hear themselves. And anyhow you can always pre-listen to the episodes before you upload them.

Recently I found myself getting pissed off during our games but when i listen to them I sound like a HUGE DICK. I've since stopped being such a little dick cheese burger. You can kind of think of the Actual Plays as photographs of the gaming session, gives you a chance to "remember that one time."

I would like to listen to the Pirates of the the Dark Astral Sea as well.
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.