Author Topic: Your personal Hero  (Read 8707 times)

Order66

Your personal Hero
« on: March 26, 2010, 12:37:59 AM »
Witch people do you admire most in the world, why and how do they inspire you?

I have three heroes:
#1:Dr.Greg Graffin overall he has been a great musician espesialy cause he is so educated and intelegent.
#2:George Lucas he wrote in my opinion some of ,if not the best movies of all time he thought through all his movies to the very end and does more than write, he creates universes and masterpieces
#3:Last but not least Gary Gygax he created D&D and paved the way for all RPGs i have no idea where idea where I would be without his creations

I am intreasted to hear your answers

Sean-o-tron

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • heard nonsense
    • View Profile
Re: Your personal Hero
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 04:06:01 AM »
Which people do you admire most in the world?  Why and how do they inspire you?

I have three heroes:
  • Dr.Greg Graffin.  Overall he is a great musician, especially because he is so educated and intelligent.
  • George Lucas.  He wrote in my opinion some of (if not the) best movies of all time.  He thought through all of his movies to the very end, and does more than write, he creates universes and masterpieces.
  • Last but not least: Gary Gygax.  He created D&D and paved the way for all RPGs.  I have no idea where I would be without his creations.

I am interested to hear your answers!

Fixed.

LRN2SPELL

malyss

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Gimme some sugar baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 10:46:47 AM »
Heheheh.

Me fail english? That's unpossible.

As to the hero thing...

I admire many people, for many things, but to me the only heroes are the ones who put their lives on the line every day. Just because you are good at something, doesn't mean you are a hero.

Also, just because you accomplish something great, doesn't mean you are a hero. Some people accomplish much, because they are capable of it, but if it is but a small contribution based on what they could accomplish, I don't see it as very heroic.

I think people can perform heroic actions, and maybe that is enough for them to be heroes, but it seems like what you are asking is "who do you admire."

Googleing the definition, I come up with some interpretations:

# a man distinguished by exceptional courage and nobility and strength; "RAF pilots were the heroes of the Battle of Britain"
# the principal character in a play or movie or novel or poem
# champion: someone who fights for a cause
# Greek mathematician and inventor who devised a way to determine the area of a triangle and who described various mechanical devices (first century)
# (classical mythology) a being of great strength and courage celebrated for bold exploits; often the offspring of a mortal and a god
# (Greek mythology) priestess of Aphrodite who killed herself when her lover Leander drowned while trying to swim the Hellespont to see her
# bomber: a large sandwich made of a long crusty roll split lengthwise and filled with meats and cheese (and tomato and onion and lettuce and condiments); different names are used in different sections of the United States

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 10:51:34 AM »
# bomber: a large sandwich made of a long crusty roll split lengthwise and filled with meats and cheese (and tomato and onion and lettuce and condiments); different names are used in different sections of the United States

I prefer grinders to heroes. But I definitely will never pass up a good roast beef and cheddar anything.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 06:53:54 PM »
Personally, after season 1, I really hated Heroes. I stopped watching near the end of season 3.
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

The_Last_76

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Mark Hamill has Arkham in his name.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 11:01:20 PM »
A few months back there was a riot in Australia.  This was a pretty big down here because, next to avoiding being eaten/poisoned/turned-into-an-egg-incubator by the local wildlife and getting drunk and going to the beach, there isn't really a whole lot of impetus for your stock standard Aussie to get pissed off at anything.  So right off the bat a riot was a terrifying change of pace.

But what really shook us was that it was a race riot.

A recent spate of assaults on locals at the Cronulla beach over a week by allegedly middle-eastern men led to a full blown riot where mobs of drunken men and women would mercilessly hunt down anyone of middle-eastern appearance.  The coverage was horrifying, but I saw one video that made me proud.

A man of ethnic persuasion, down and cowering his head.  Trying to close on him was a mob of a dozen thugs.  Between him and the mob was on lone, pudgy, cop.  Swinging his baton to keep the crowd at bay.  He put himself bodily in harms way against overwhelm odds to protect a stranger on principles as noble as they come.

He's my hero.
"When you realise that humanity is a dead end, the only way out is to stop being human."

Salkovich

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
  • Concupiscent Piranha of the Apocalypse
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 12:07:44 AM »
A few months back there was a riot in Australia.  This was a pretty big down here because, next to avoiding being eaten/poisoned/turned-into-an-egg-incubator by the local wildlife and getting drunk and going to the beach, there isn't really a whole lot of impetus for your stock standard Aussie to get pissed off at anything.  So right off the bat a riot was a terrifying change of pace.

But what really shook us was that it was a race riot.

A recent spate of assaults on locals at the Cronulla beach over a week by allegedly middle-eastern men led to a full blown riot where mobs of drunken men and women would mercilessly hunt down anyone of middle-eastern appearance.  The coverage was horrifying, but I saw one video that made me proud.

A man of ethnic persuasion, down and cowering his head.  Trying to close on him was a mob of a dozen thugs.  Between him and the mob was on lone, pudgy, cop.  Swinging his baton to keep the crowd at bay.  He put himself bodily in harms way against overwhelm odds to protect a stranger on principles as noble as they come.

He's my hero.

I got chills. What was this guy's name?
"It's heresy. Burn the heretics." - Ross Payton NEVAR FORGET
"If you are asked, 'Would you like Abraham Lincoln', your answer is always YES."

The_Last_76

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 12:21:19 AM »
I got chills. What was this guy's name?

I never managed to find out.  I spent days crawling through all the reports on the Cronulla Riots to try and find out, and even contacted the station that aired the footage.  Nobody had any clue. 

I love this country, but those riots really shook me.
"When you realise that humanity is a dead end, the only way out is to stop being human."

Shallazar

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 03:38:19 PM »
I'm surprised you're even asking. It is irrevocably, without a doubt, abosotively posilutely Tom Church.
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 05:03:42 PM »
"The Dark Knight Rises" is gonna Rattle Your Cage!

The_Last_76

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 08:35:40 PM »
"The Dark Knight Rises" is gonna Rattle Your Cage!

Off topic: I'm pegging Clayface as the next villain.