Author Topic: The Late-Night Thread  (Read 42778 times)

Moondog

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
Re: The Late-Night Thread
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2010, 02:52:23 AM »
Today has been a beautiful day. I don't mean the weather. That has been cold and unforgiving, with winds blowing hard enough to rock cars on the road, making my apartment creak and groan in tune with the howling.

Not the town I live in either. A small village of about 2000 people, with nothing bigger than a Food Lion up on the hill by way of amenities, and even that isn't as well stocked as I would like or am used to.

Not my sleeping habits, as evidenced by me being awake at nearly 3 in the morning to type this.

But, as I sit in my computer chair, the soft light of my monitor casting shadows in the room, and sip an 18 year old scotch (Glenfiddich), like liquid amber in a rocks glass to use a cliche'd phrase, I realize my only pressing concern, the only thing that weighs on my mind. . . is that my glass is almost empty.

Currently Reading: FIGHT!: The Fighting Game RPG! (it owns)

AmishNinja

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • NaturalOne
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2010, 03:04:02 AM »
I am whiskey-less at the moment and need to fix that.

But this character for Patrick's skype game is coming along nicely. Got all the skills figured out, just need to come up with worst thing + short bio.

Salkovich

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
  • Concupiscent Piranha of the Apocalypse
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2011, 12:54:35 AM »
My cat is snoring in her sleep.

I am watching Marble Hornets videos.

The two do not mix.
"It's heresy. Burn the heretics." - Ross Payton NEVAR FORGET
"If you are asked, 'Would you like Abraham Lincoln', your answer is always YES."

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2011, 02:19:47 AM »
my weekly dnd session just ended, when some of my players were standing in the back yard smoking they had an debate about whether or not the current game was working with 8 players. I started with 4 and was planning on 6, but things seem to be highly distracted at the table now i am up late trying to figure out how to fix this. Short of removing two players i have decided to ask everyone to keep the OOC chatter under wraps. Either way I guess I'll dig back into my cabinet and have a drink while i mull this over.... what do you guys suggest? (Advice on the game or booze will be accepted.)
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2011, 02:37:14 AM »
I suggest something smooth.

A Rob Roy or old Fashioned, if you're a fan of mixed drinks.

As far as dealing with too many players, I wouldn't know where to start.
Currently Reading: FIGHT!: The Fighting Game RPG! (it owns)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2011, 03:28:40 AM »
my weekly dnd session just ended, when some of my players were standing in the back yard smoking they had an debate about whether or not the current game was working with 8 players. I started with 4 and was planning on 6, but things seem to be highly distracted at the table now i am up late trying to figure out how to fix this. Short of removing two players i have decided to ask everyone to keep the OOC chatter under wraps. Either way I guess I'll dig back into my cabinet and have a drink while i mull this over.... what do you guys suggest? (Advice on the game or booze will be accepted.)

no table chatter

shot clock

keep things moving FAST

anyone that can't keep up doesn't get to do anything

kill off PCs

crash2455

• #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2011, 03:33:21 AM »

Welcome to my world.

Also a lot of solid advice here and definitely no sarcasm.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 03:36:42 AM by crash2455 »

Salkovich

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2011, 02:17:07 AM »
Up late watching Mad Men, and I'm getting into the spirit with some whiskey.

Ran out of my Maker's, unfortunately, so for the moment I'm making do with Jack Daniels mixed with this wonderful spicy ginger ale:

I've yet to find anything else that mixes so well with whiskey. Absolutely fantastic.
"If you are asked, 'Would you like Abraham Lincoln', your answer is always YES."

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2011, 06:43:52 PM »
This isn't whiskey, but I tried this tonight and was pretty impressed: http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/unibroue-blanche-de-chambly/8820/

Unibroue is probably my favorite brewery. The only reason I tried the Blanche though was because the place I got beer from didn't have any Terrible or La Fin du Monde.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Maze

• Global Moderator
  • Azathoth Janitorial Services
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2011, 09:57:53 PM »
Didn't know they had any in the states. I guess that makes sense since...

[spoiler]Most of what you usually find in conveniance store tastes like horse piss
[/spoiler]

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2011, 10:14:37 PM »
[spoiler]That may be unfair because horses actually eat grass and grain, and I think most convenience store beer is purely manmade.[/spoiler]
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2011, 05:30:52 AM »
Performing some thread necromancy.

Have had a lot of fun over the past few days staying up into the wee hours of the morning working on a take-home midterm for general relativity.  Thank goodness for music or else I would fall asleep so fast...

Salkovich

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2011, 01:22:56 AM »
Working on a portfolio and editing friends' stories can only happen late at night.

In fact, I think it's time to crack the bourbon.