Author Topic: Old Game Nostalgia Thread  (Read 17235 times)

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
Old Game Nostalgia Thread
« on: April 19, 2009, 12:08:47 PM »
We've had a few of these threads. But let's really open up the floor to discuss some classic old school games. I'm a computer guy and have been since the age of three, so don't expect many console games out of me.

Here are my two entries for today:

Autoduel - 1985 adaptation of Steve Jackson's Car Wars. I played this on an Apple IIe. My father and I had a competition to see who could beat it first, he rewrote the code so he could win.

Eamon - The first computer role playing game I played again for the Apple II.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
Re: Old Game Nostalgia Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 12:51:39 PM »
Everyone I knew played Oregon Trail, but our school didn't have that one. We had Cross Country USA which was a text-based game that made you a truck driver who had to pick up commodities and drive them across the country to different cities. My favorite was seeing a hitchiker, stopping my truck and typing "pick up hitchiker." Sometimes, they would be nice and you would drop them off to a new city, but more often than not, you would be murdered and a blood stain would smear across the windshield.

Heh. And they say that Mortal Kombat is too violent.
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 12:59:15 PM »
Everyone I knew played Oregon Trail, but our school didn't have that one. We had Cross Country USA which was a text-based game that made you a truck driver who had to pick up commodities and drive them across the country to different cities. My favorite was seeing a hitchiker, stopping my truck and typing "pick up hitchiker." Sometimes, they would be nice and you would drop them off to a new city, but more often than not, you would be murdered and a blood stain would smear across the windshield.

Heh. And they say that Mortal Kombat is too violent.

That's amazing. I must find a rom for this and play it. I can't remember the name of the game we played at school that allowed you to be the despotic ruler of a country in Central America whose loyalties were torn between the USSR and America. The goal of the game was to see how many turns you could play before one of three things happened: (1) you were killed by the CIA, (2) you were killed by the KGB, or (3) your people revolted. Those were the three endings, no other alternatives.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

rayner23

• View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 01:02:15 PM »
We also had a game called Virtual Business where you started a grocery store and had to pay for advertising and set prices of your products. Basically, everything you wanted to do in a business, you could do on this game.

My friends and I would see how fast we could run our businesses (appropriately titled "Shit Store" or "Fuckinbuyshit") into the ground. The fun lasted for approximately 5 minutes. Probably less.
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

codered

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Don't Hate!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 01:09:57 PM »
I remember playing dig dug on the cpu that was the old time game i playied along with Oregon Trail.
Kenders Rock

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 01:29:11 PM »
I remember playing dig dug on the cpu that was the old time game i playied along with Oregon Trail.

Ah Dig Dug. It was more fun as a stand-up game.

JonHook

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 01:43:50 PM »
As a child of the 70s, we didn't have a home computer, and the game console I had had Pong! I shit you not. Eventually, my brother and I did get a Sega Odyssey for X-mas one year.

No, the games that hold nostalgia for me are old rpgs, board games, and actual coin-op arcade games. My favorites as a kid were...

D&D, Call of Cthulhu (still a huge favorite), Marvel Superheroes, Axis & Allies, and Squad Leader. A friend of mine had a huge collection of Lord of the Rings minis, and he constructed a terrain board, (I think it was a 4x8 or 4x6 board), and we'd play our own version of mini wars with these huge LotR armies.
"Isolation on a ship like this can breed heresy in the dark unwashed corners. I won't find evidence of heresy here, will I?" - Festor Sorebol (an Imperial Psyker in Tadanori's Dark Heresy game: House of Dust & Ash)

rayner23

• View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 05:12:34 PM »
The best board game ever is the Uncanny X-men alert adventure game. I got it when I was in second grade and my friends and still play it. It is fucking great.

codered

• Don't Hate!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 05:36:07 PM »
Axis & Allies and risk

I like Axis because its takes just as long to set it up as it does to play it.

hours of fun
Kenders Rock

Maze

• Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Azathoth Janitorial Services
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 06:23:52 PM »
Risk breaks friendship & couples  :'(

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 08:36:36 PM »
I enjoy risk, We would add in nuke rules if you rolled 3 6's on attacking you got to nude a random contry in the deck you draw from. a nuked contry lost all its forces in it, once a contry was nuked you couldnet capture it for 3 turns of the attacking players turns later. you could move threw it but lost half your forces moving threw it. It allways made for an exciting time, cus you did not know if your gonna nuke your sef or somone else.

Dawnsteel

• Dispensing indiscriminate justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 09:13:22 PM »
I'll add to the cheering throng in support of Axis and Allies...I played a lot with my friends in high school; finally picked up my own copy a couple of years ago and taught my wife to play.  She won't play with me anymore...she is not necessarily strategically inclined.

Other (lesser-known) games I have loved:
Gunslinger
Rail Baron
Air Cav

On the electronic front, I played a lot of:
Pirates!
Space Quest and its sequels
I didn't come here to win. I came to make friends.

rayner23

• View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 09:15:26 PM »
I forgot to mention that my wife and I are King's Quest fans.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 09:27:16 PM »
For old PC games, can't for get Wing Commander.

Maze

• Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Azathoth Janitorial Services
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 09:42:34 PM »
ECO It wasn't that great, but I never saw something like that before. I remember there was a human in the game running around like an idiot with his dog (he could step on you), getting stinged by a scorpion and dying. It was great.